Lubricating convertible top frame & rear window guides

edited April 2013 in Feature Mustangs
I was wondering what you guys use or what is the best way of lubricating the convertible top frame joints? Mine were getting a little squeaky so I used some WD40 but I'm sure there is something better. And am I correct in assuming that the tiny holes in some of the joints are particularly there to aid in lubrication? I found it quite curious that they were just the perfect size for the straw from the WD40 bottle.

Also, I noticed that when the top is closed my rear quarter windows have a harder time closing. When the top is down the windows close nice and fast so the problem is only when the top is closed. I figured the problem must be lack of lubrication on the window track which is part of the convertible top. I was wondering what you guys recommend to use to lubricate these tracks.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• I believe white lithium grease, similar to the stuff that comes in aerosol cans, is what the window tracks should be lubed with. Getting to them is another thing.

I have never looked through my Ford shop manuals to see what Ford recommends for lubing the window tracks.

As for the convertible top frame the Ford shop manual for the 1993 shows how to adjust the frame when things happen that put the alignment of the top frame out. If I get a chance I can see if it mentions lubrication of the hinge points and what to use.

I was told by someone when I owned my 1967 Mustang convertible that a convertible top should NEVER be raised with the windows up. I am not sure if that is the same with the Fox Body Mustangs, but I don't do it because of what I was told about the 1967. The rear windows drag a bit on the weatherstrips on the tops of my cars, they just do. Anything less than that would probably bring me leaks in the car, same with your car too possibly. The Ford shop manual also shows how to do adjustments on the car door windows and it tells how the windows should close against the weatherstrips on the top if I recall reading that correctly some time ago. I didn't look to see if it mentioned how to make adjustments to the rear quarter windows though.
  • thanks! I'll try the white lithium grease. Even with just wd40 i noticed a big difference with the top...smoother operation and less noisy.