cleaning tips

The 92 SE I bought was a low mileage, stock, unabused car but the owner had left it under a carport and the paint oxidized and the top which was original, was almost green with mold or whatever a top collects. The interior was very dingy and dirty.
I spent a full week in getting the car back to first class condition.
I hand rubbed the paint out with Mothers Cleaner/Carnuba Wax. It took going over three times but came out beautiful. I didn't want to use a power buffer. I was told by another SE owner that there is no clear coat on it from the factory and it has 7 coats of paint.
For the top I used a wet Mr Clean Eraser, a tablespoon of straight Clorox and a very wet hand towel. Do a small section with the Clorox and immediately wet the section with the hand towel. The secret to Clorox is time. Never let it sit. The tops is perfectly clean and white. I finished it with top dressing.
I cleaned the interior with Fantastic and a Mr Clean Eraser followed by a wet hand towel and then leather conditioner.
I cleaned the wheels with Softscrub, touched them up with regular white paint, and then waxed them.
I clean an engine with a medium size brush with Fantastic and a water hose on low pressure-no hard water flow.
I dry it with a reverse vacuum cleaner blowing the water off and this part you may wince at, but I spray the entire engine compartment with STP and then use the vacuum to blow it off and out of crevices.
People who saw the car before I started couldn't believe it's condition a week later.
I tuned it up with Motorcraft parts, changed the oil and transmission fluid and won a trophy Sunday at the Mustang show.

Comments

• Thanks for the detailed run down!
  • I cleaned the interior with Fantastic and a Mr Clean Eraser followed by a wet hand towel and then leather conditioner.

I was about to post a question about that Mr. Clean Eraser...i actually bought it, used it and it seemed to smear the dirt unless u used an extra towel....you just answered my questions! Great post....funny, i was also using Fanastic to clean mine.

I should get around to cleaning the car this week...yesterday i just tried it a bit on the drivers door.
  • Dear sir,
    In reference to your post about cleaning, your last sentence mentioned that you "won" a trophy Sunday. If you are referring to the mustang show in Lexington, SC on Sunday April 20, 2008, you DID NOT WIN A TROPHY. My two feature cars took 1st and second respectivly and my buddy took 3rd in your class. Furthermore, I saw you take down your for sale sign and leave the show early after they announced the winners of your category. If you won a trophy at that show, I would love to see a picture of it since I have the 1st and 2nd place in hand. Please do not come on this site for TRUE feature car owners and make yourself look good. I tried to be nice at the show and give you a history of the car since you bought it two weeks ago, don't go and exploit it that you have knowledge on the cars. Christopher Phillips, Elgin SC
  • Thanks for the info! REALLY helps!
  • Dear sir,
    In reference to your post about cleaning, your last sentence mentioned that you "won" a trophy Sunday. If you are referring to the mustang show in Lexington, SC on Sunday April 20, 2008, you DID NOT WIN A TROPHY. My two feature cars took 1st and second respectivly and my buddy took 3rd in your class. Furthermore, I saw you take down your for sale sign and leave the show early after they announced the winners of your category. If you won a trophy at that show, I would love to see a picture of it since I have the 1st and 2nd place in hand. Please do not come on this site for TRUE feature car owners and make yourself look good. I tried to be nice at the show and give you a history of the car since you bought it two weeks ago, don't go and exploit it that you have knowledge on the cars. Christopher Phillips, Elgin SC
    Man talk about calling the man out. I guess if your comments are not accurate you better be careful about what you say. Take care.
  • It was not the same show and if cleaning tips makes me an expert...........