Has anyone restored their white wheels?

edited June 2008 in Feature Mustangs
My son (Rare92) wants to restore the white wheels on his 92 and we are trying to get more information about the best way to go about this. I am not sure if bead blasting them down to bare metal is best since I understand that in 92, the pearlescent white paint was baked over the standard silver finish. The wheels have no road rash or scratches, only stains from brake dust and what looks to be like clearcoat peeling.

Could we have these wet sanded and reshot with clear?

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Thanks dad! [B-)]
  • I'd also be interested in the same for the 93 white wheels, and centercaps for that matter...

Anton
  • Anyone? Reallly appreciate any insight.
  • Ok, looks like not much help for ya. I use to work as a paint and body man. Hand sand the wheels until they are smooth. Feather any edges down. I have painted a few wheels and found that you can go to any local auto parts place and find bright white base paint and clear coat in a can. Make sure to wipe the wheels with a wax and grease remover before painting. Once you start with the painting process dont touch the wheels. Spray even light coats and wait about 5 minutes between each coat. Make sure the wheels are even in color. Once the base coat is completed begin with the clear coat. Spray even medium coats. Let the clear tack up between coats. About 10 minutes between each coat. If at the end of it all you find a run DONT PANIC! Simply allow the clear to dry completely then use 1500 grit wet/dry paper with water and sand it out lightly. You can then use a little compound to get the shine back. If you have any other questions let me know. Vince
  • That will work the the 1993 TWF but not for the 1992 because they are painted Pealesent colored.. Right??/
  • You can get the pearl paint also. You may have to contact Dupont or House of Colors but you can get it.