Discoloration of white convertible top

edited June 2005 in Feature Mustangs
My white feature car has a yellow/brown stain on the top. It is in the area of the rear pillar. With the top down, it is in the area of the rear wheel well.

At a show, I talked to the original owner of a '92 feature car with the same problem. He said the stains had been there since new and had never progressed. His stains were on both sides

Anyone else with the same problem? What's causing the problem? Anyway to get the stain off?

Comments

• I just had a new top installed on mine a few months ago and, aside from an occasional bird attack, the only place I have trouble with staining is around the bottom of the top where it drops into the well. Everything that gets on the top seems to gravitate to that area. I have to be very vigilant about keeping twigs and leaves from working their way under the lip and causing more stains.

Aside from cleaning it with a soft bristle brush and Dawn, the best thing I've found for removing stains and bringing back the white is a product by Mr. Clean, called Magic Eraser. It uses no chemicals, just dampen the sponge and rub the stain. I haven't found anything it won't remove yet. (Don't ask me how it works, it just does. :?: ) I actually use the erasers on any part of the car, you know how hard it is to keep an all white vehicle clean. Works especially well on the white leather, you can see the dirt lifting out of the grain.

I'm not sure if it will help in your situation, but it is worth a try. The Magic Erasers aren't expensive, and I'm sure you can find them at your local WallyMart.

Sue :)
  • I think I have the same stain. It is about the size of a quarter on the driver's side behind the rear window. Someone at a show I attended who also has a white feature car, but, with a relatively new top also had the same spot. I have never been able to get mine out.

When the top is folded there must be something it rubs against.

I think my top is original so I have other areas of discoloration, too. Especially on the top side along the frame members. :(

I use Raggtopp cleaner and protectant. They work pretty well but still require a lot of elbow grease. I will try the Magic Eraser.
  • If you try everything and nothing else will work.....try a rag soaked with a little Carburator cleaner. I do not recommend this unless you have an old top that is on its last leg. I experimented on the deep stains where the top linkage rubs and it works wonders. I am guessing it is harmful for the fabric & the chemicals will discolor your paint and plastic, so if you decide to take the risk to spruce up an old weather beaten top, be cautious where the fluids/rags touch. I used it on a top that was 10 years old and already had a few small tears so I was not concerned about longevity.
  • Thanks TRIWFOX. The Mr. Clean MagicEraser didn't remove the stain off the top, but it did a good job on ground in dirt. And it did work well on my leather.

Well it's 80 degrees and sunny here in San Antonio. Hmmm....I think I'll take the Stang out for a short drive.
  • Glad to hear it helped in some way, I especially like it because it doesn't use any chemicals...

Don't know if you have little ones in your household, but if you do the Erasers are great for removing crayon marks on walls. (I've even gotten permanent marker off surfaces with it.) No, I don't work for Mr. Clean...lol

I wish the weather was that nice here, even though my car is now being held hostage at the transmission shop... [X-(] Maybe I'll get her back in time for some spring cruising...

Sue [B-)]
  • Well it's 80 degrees and sunny here in San Antonio. Hmmm....I think I'll take the Stang out for a short drive.

:cry:

I hope you realize how lucky you are. With all the sand and salt on the road here, I don't dare take it out. I peeked under the cover today and am really getting antsy to take it for a drive. I guess the upside is that it helps keep the mileage down. ;)
  • TRIWFOX, just wanted to let you know that I tried the Magic Erasers for the first time today. I was finally replacing my back seat after having removed it earlier this spring for a repair and I wanted to clean the white trim panels on each side before putting the seat back. I started with the standard Meguiars Vinyl and Rubber clean I usually use. It did some good but there were still a lot of dirty spots. Then, I remembered your suggestion on the Magic Eraser. I forgot that I had purchased a whole box at the local price club right after I read your recommendation.

I tried it and it really got the dirt out. Those panels now look brand new!!! The only problem is that now the rest of my interior looks dingy and I have to keep going on the rest. Luckily they are really easy to use and don't require any scrubbing.

Thanks again for the recommendation. :)