Touch Up Paint

edited August 2008 in Feature Mustangs
Hey Guys-

I just purchased a 92 Vibrant Red Convertible a couple months back. There are a few spots on it that I'd like to carefully touch-up.
Does any one know where I can get Vibrant Red and Opal Pearl White touch up paints?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Comments

• When I called the Ford Dealership they said they didnt have record of a EY paint code and never heard of "Vibrant red" He said the best thing to do was to take it to a body shop and let them compare the paint colors..... That is the only thing that I can think of... Hey you '90 and 93 guys.. Can yall get touch up paint?

Ryan
  • I bought some touch-up for my 7-Up a few years back. Got it from the local dealership. It's got the Ford logo on it and it's part number AL81-6414-B. [B-)]
  • Thats not fair! I want some for my car.... :(
  • I tried a couple of years ago to get some for our Yellow feature and the dealership just said the car was too old for them to keep any touch up paint around. When we got the car repainted I then had my source for the touch up. Best of luck.
  • Last year I found 3 touch up paint tubes from a Ford dealer in Oklahoma. What was amazing that the paint is 16 years old and in great shape. I store them inside in a cool, dark room so that it will preseve them better. They are actual Ford touch up paint kits for that color code. I may entetain the idea of sellin one or two. If interested, email at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:aahinson@yahoo.com">aahinson@yahoo.com</a><!-- e -->
  • Here's my 5 cents worth, (inflation). On my Yellow you can find some touch up from Dupli-Color No# FM 363 but it doesn't quite match. Even bought a spray can of BZ paint mixed at O'Reilly's, it didn't quite match either. Painted my front pony tag with it.

What I did was I took my fuel door off and took it to my local automotive paint mixing store that does color matching and left it with them for a couple days. They matched it perfect. I got the paint in a single stage paint in a pint can and a can of hardner. I just mix up a little bit as needed. It's been 2 years and the stuff is still good. The cost was a little over $60. NOTE: this also takes care of any fading that has occured over the last 15 or 16 yr's or any repaints.

Our cars are base coat / clear coat. If you go to my photo's (link below) and look at my drivers door a buddy of mine spotted in a big scratch that was in the middle of the door on the pin strip line. With the same single stage paint. That was 1 1/2 yr's ago and I still can't see where it was or that it was spotted in. 2 body shops wanted to paint the whole door, $500 - $600. buddy price was $75. plus I bought the paint, which I still have some for touch up.

Good luck, Jerry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jburnsfamilyfun
  • But the red cars dont have a clearcoat right?
  • The red cars were not clear coated. EY Performance Red.
  • All the better for you then with no clear coat. Should be easy for them to match.

Jerry
  • Thats what I thought.. But the real question is it performance red or Vibrant red? Our 93 Cobra is the same color.. But its ES I think.. and so is the 2000 Cobra R.
  • Last year I found 3 touch up paint tubes from a Ford dealer in Oklahoma. What was amazing that the paint is 16 years old and in great shape. I store them inside in a cool, dark room so that it will preseve them better. They are actual Ford touch up paint kits for that color code. I may entetain the idea of sellin one or two. If interested, email at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:aahinson@yahoo.com">aahinson@yahoo.com</a><!-- e -->

E-mail sent.. :D
  • An email from Ron E. provided the following details about touch up paint:

"there is a Ford "EY" touch up paint which is obsolete. I had the locator get me one out of Oklahoma in May.. It has a # on the tube of ALBZ-19500-6564A and the same number on the invoice. On the tube the color is called Performance Red."
  • I will call a few of the local dealerships and see if they have "Performance Red".. Is that what color the '92 features are? I know that I have seen "Vibrant Red".. Right?
  • I generally use "Vibrant Red" because that was on the window sticker. But, even Ford interchanged the two names in their literature. If you study the Ford Literature scans you will see both used.
  • Yeah okay that is kinda what I thought.. Kinda Crazy..
  • I have ordered from these guys in the past. You can order pens or cans. Even can order clear coat in pens and cans.

http://www.paintscratch.com/
  • HEY ALL, I WENT TO MY LOCAL PAINT SHOP TOLD THEM I WANTED EY PAINT AND THEY KNEW IT WAS PERFORMANCE RED,THEY HAD TO MAKE ME AN OUNCE FOR TOUCH UP . IT WAS CLOSE ENOUGHT TO PERFECT FOR ME.(SOUNDS KINDA LIKE A SONG)

JOEL