TMI now doing 93 Feature Upholstery

Hey guys. I just installed the TMI kit on my triple white. Having had a relationship with Dean Satterfield of TMI, he called when he saw my order and asked if the kit was for a feature car. He had me send him one of my headrest covers for Ford approval and sent the kit a few weeks later. We had the car in the TMI/Classic booth at the NPD show in Silver Springs last month. The kit, like all TMI products, fits like a glove, and the embroidered ponys are spot on. Dennis said that the Ford folks count the threads to insure an exact copy!

BTW - I ordered through Laurel Mountain and Lou. Everything on the uphostery thread is true. Lou is the best. NPD will be doing a fox catalog this summer though, and I'll have to start sending business to my good friend Rick Schmidt.

Comments

• Great news. Lou is a great guy. Did you go with the leather or vinyl?

Did you install yourself or have a shop do it? Lou sent me pictures of his car that he installed himself. He siad that it was not difficult so I am getting a false sense of security that I could do it myself. I did buy the car to "tinker" with it but wonder if I am over my head with cover replacement.

Thanks and welcome to the club!!

Ken
  • The kit, like all TMI products, fits like a glove, and the embroidered ponys are spot on. Dennis said that the Ford folks count the threads to insure an exact copy!
    Great news that they are doing the headrests. When I talked to them in 2007 they were not and stated it was due to the licensing required. That seems to have been worked out.
  • I'm proud to say that I actually played a role in their decision and progress toward offering the embroidered headrests.

I initiated the dialogue with them in 07 about them and got to know Cat (Catherine) over at TMI fairly well. The issues did surround both licensing and feasbility, but Dean was able to make it work. I provided very high-res scanned images (4800dpi) of the front and back of my embroidered headrests as well to help them get the exact thread count, direction, etc. (although I'm sure they probably dug up some old specs from Ford somewhere as well, but who knows?)...

Anton
  • I went with leather and installed them myself. I've done three fox seats and the seats in the old car. Not real difficult, but if you've not done it before, I'd recommend spending the couple hundred bucks to have it done. At the very least, you'll need to take you car to an upholstery shop and have them steam shrink the final product.
  • I'm proud to say that I actually played a role in their decision and progress toward offering the embroidered headrests.
    Nice work! I'm sure many of us will come to appreciate the efforts to get that done.
  • Great post! It is good news to know that there is a resource for these items now.
  • Could you post up some pics of thew completed seats. My local shop uses Auto Craft covers and I am not too sure about them. I can not find anything on the web about them. I may just get the TMI and have them installed.

Did you get their foam replacements?

Thanks
  • I am glad that there is a source now for those who have had theirs stolen or removed over time. Being a glass half empty person, I see this as a way to flood the market with what was a rare part. Now you potentially will see pony headrests in any leather optioned car, in any color produced. I am not saying it will happen, but TMI could feel the need to capitalize on the tooling expense.

I do understand the need to reproduce parts, but also feel some should remain exclusive to protect one of the few items that were unique to our cars.