Rear gears

edited April 2009 in Feature Mustangs
I have a totally stock 1993 triple white mustang with an AOD and 2.73 rear gears. The only changes from stock is the removal of the air silencer and maintenance replacements (plug, cap, rotor, wires, oil, filters, etc…). Most of my driving is on local roads up to 50 MPH with occasional trips on the highway at near legal speeds (+/-70 MPH).

My plans for the car are to keep it stock. I do not plan on replacing the heads, intake, etc… However, I have heard that replacing the rear gears with a lower ratio can help to make the car more fun to drive.

The question is about the rear gears. I have been toying with a gear upgrade and was looking at what ratio would be best for the car. Ford sells 3.08, 3.27, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10 and others.

I was thinking about installing 3.55 or 3.73 gears. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these choices?

Thanks,
Kevin
:?:

Comments

• I have 3.73 on my 5 spd and really get's up and goes. I am the same way, not looking for optimum gas mileage but want a kick, which I definitely have. I am in 1st for a second before I am putting it into 2nd. I did not do the work myself though, I bought the car with them already installed by the previous owner.

In reading many Mustang magazines over the years it seems the best combination for auto's are 3.73's. It gives a nice punch but is not running at high RPM'sa on the highway.

Good luck!

Ken
  • I have 373's and they helped me reach the low 11's in the 1/4 and they handled over 600 HP at that time. Most guys I know have the 373's. It s very street-able gear. 355's are OK but if you want more performance go with 373. 411's are great if you want to drag all the time, not great at all for the open road.
  • Hi,
    Here is something to consider. Just for theory purposes lets say that at 1900 RPM you are traveling 60 MPH, and also this is what my runs.

With 3.73 gears at 60 mph your rpm will be 2150

With 3.55's at 60 it will be 2050

With 3.27's at 60 it will be 1900

With 3.08 at 60 it will be 1800

You can adjust accordingly for your car to your RPM at 60

I have an AOD with 3.27's, at 60 mph I am running around 1900, if you can believe the tack.

As I said this is theory and the numbers will be slightly off. But it holds pretty true. But with 2.73's and jumping to 3.73's you will see an RPM increase at 60mph of about 550 to 700 rpm. But I must say if I were to change my gears I would go with the 3.73's, but I have also modded my engine. For the last 30 or 40 years 3.73's have been the street rodders choice for an automatic and most stick's.

Good Luck, Jerry
  • OK, it took me a while to make up my mind (ok the real delay was getting my wife’s buy-in for the $$$) – 3.73’s will be installed next Wednesday by a local speed shop. I will post after the work is done. I can’t wait!!!
  • My 7-Up has the AOD and came with the 2:73s. I ugraded to the 3:73s and at the same time had a TransGo HP shift kit installed. The engine is bone stock other than Motorsport 9mm wires and a K&N filter. I love the combination.
  • Thanks for the post. With the exception of the transmission shift kit the mods will be the same. (K&N, Wires, etc..). How would you compare the before and after on the gear change. I understand there will be differences since you also had the shift kit installed at the same time. I know I will find out on Wednesday next (4/15/09) - but I am curious…
  • The gear change (along with the shift kit of course) woke the car up. The difference is like night and day. Highly recommended! :D
  • My only problem with running 3.73's was that first gear is SO short. This makes it VERY easy to break'em loose in second. I have run the 3.73's and now run 3.55's and I like much more the the 3.73's.

Wit ha 5spd 3.55's are very fun. With an auto I'd run the 3.73's or 4.10s.

Tim
  • Sounds good since mine is an auto, not a 5 spd. 3.73's it will be. Tomorrow they will be installed. I will let you know what I think after they are in the car. :D
  • Tomorrow they will be installed. I will let you know what I think after they are in the car. :D
    I can't wait to hear what you think of the difference.
  • Still waiting..... :D

I bet he's still out driving it with a silly grin on his face!!
  • OK – you got me. I have gone through almost a tank of gas. It is so much more responsive than with the stock gears. The cost was a little more than I expected due to some preventative repairs. While the rear end was disassembled I decided to have the traction-loc rebuilt and have the bearings and seals replaced.

I was instructed to go a little easy for the first 100-150 miles. Once that was covered I gave it a try with my heavy foot. Now with to much gas it will break loose easily on dry pavement. Before it had a hard time accomplishing that. It pulls hard through first (only for a short time though) then right into second. If my foot is over half way down it stays in second and pulls well into the upper RPM’s till it shifts into third.

I must say that it is way more responsive than when stock. I wish I had done this upgrade the day I purchased the car almost 9 years ago.

Only drawback is that it now runs around 2500 RPM on the highway in fourth. Guess I will have to live with that. Such a sacrifice, but someone has to do it (ha ha). On the pluss side my 10 year old had a big grin on his face when he went for a ride with me. He liked the upgrade.

John, We have spoken about his upgrade before. Since we live relatively close, if you want to give it a try let me know.
  • Busted!!!! :lol:

Glad you like them. One word of advice, especially with a stock AOD. Do not leave the transmission in O/D mode if you are going wide-open throttle. Letting it shift into overdrive at wot is guaranteed to burn out the overdrive function. That's the biggest weakness of these transmissions.
  • Busted!!!! :lol:

Glad you like them. One word of advice, especially with a stock AOD. Do not leave the transmission in O/D mode if you are going wide-open throttle. Letting it shift into overdrive at wot is guaranteed to burn out the overdrive function. That's the biggest weakness of these transmissions.

Thanks for the advice. I remember hearing something about the OD band being shared with second gear (or something like that) and that the band was smaller than it should have been (again - or something like that). So keeping it out of OD at WOT should not be a problem. The gears were $$ enough. I do not want a new transmission at this time.

Anyway, that should not be a problem as the car now pulls hart to at least 60 in third.
    Fun for is getting up to speed quickly, not driving recklessly fast. Will have to hive it a full shakedown later today. It is reported to be our first 70 degree day in over 6 months!

- Kevin
    :D - (Still grinning)
  • I must say that it is way more responsive than when stock. I wish I had done this upgrade the day I purchased the car almost 9 years ago.
    Awesome. This might be what I need to push me over the edge to get this done on my car.
    It is reported to be our first 70 degree day in over 6 months!
    Has it really been 6 months? I hope it gets to 70 today!
  • You said that your rpms are at 2500 on the highway? What speed is that? Mine is at around 1900 at highway speed. You are in O/D on the highway, aren't you?
  • My speed at 2500 is in OD, but my speed is ~70-75 MPH. (OK near legal speeds). FYI Speed limit is 65 MPH.
  • That explains it. Our highway speeds are a tad lower.

Glad you like the gears!! [B-)]