Very 1st COUPE " 7-up " coming in Oct 09

1990 7-up 65,000 miles very very clean in and out. Look to get everyones opinions on this idea I have, to convert the convertible back to a coupe. I am fully aware of all the work that is involved. what do you think?...........it would be the only one in existence. I would video and take pics throughout the whole process and save all the original parts etc.

Comments

• WHY WHY WHY would you want to do this?
  • It would probably easier and less costly to just buy a emeral green coupe and add the white interior and rims. Only issue I see is that if it has to be a original 90, per my Recognition Guide, there were only 6 coupes (notchbacks) in emeral green that year.

In 91 and 92 there were over a 1000 made in that color in coupe form. Also note that the verts are actually built as coupes on line and then the top is removed, so technically you would be removing that one step!
  • Buy a coupe and convert it via interior and wheels.
  • Soooo much cheaper to buy a coupe to begin with. I really don't understand why you would want to throw money away to make a coupe out of a convertible, not to mention the fact that it's a fairly rare convertible. In the end, what do you really have?

I'm so confused... :(
  • It is your car to do whatever, but be absolutely sure that you will like it. It will be in your garage for a long time, as potential buyers will be scarce. The majority of the Mustang world does not even know what a 7-up convertible is. A coupe would mean nothing to them.
  • How about making a hardtop/convertible. I had a 95 Cobra convertible with the hardtop option. It was pretty cool to put the top on and have the full security of the hardtop. It came with a stand (like a Mercedes SL) that hold the top in my garage and just use the Cobra as a soft top convertible. Too bad it was pretty rare option, it would have been nice if it was a regularly available option.

I would think it too would be a ton of work but if you cut the top off a coupe and figured a way to install it on the 7-Up, it would be a show stopper and you would still get the nice weather top down option.
  • +1 Great idea! That would be a show stopper.
  • I'm so confused... :(

Yeah, I dont get it either.
  • It would be different to see a 7 Up coupe.

I agree with some of the others though. You will need a donor coupe any way so why not just re-upholster it and add the wheels, which there are plenty of around on GT's. None of the back seat parts will interchange either to make it look right.

Your 7 up, preserve it, as it will always be worth more as is.

Down side to this, your 7UP will be worth a lot less, and to most after the mods, it will just be an Emerald green coupe with white upholstery. To 7UP fans it will be destroyed and to anyone else upon close inspection it will seem to them that the car was wrecked and the roof was replaced.

Hope you decide not to do it.

Jerry