Question about stock radios

edited July 2009 in Feature Mustangs
How can you tell if your car originally came with the graphic eq? My radio code is "8" and there is an amp under the pass. seat. I am trying to put the car back to original as possible. Do you guys think it would matter if I were to put a ford cd player in instead of the cassette deck? Would the cd player work with the wiring? Thanks.

Comments

• The graphic equalizer was not a 1993 option. That's too bad because I like it a lot. A Ford OE CD stereo should connect with no problem as you already have premium sound with the cassette stereo. Whether you actually go to one is a matter of personal taste. They are not always easy to find and can be comparatively expensive. I have a factory CD and never found it to be that useful. It's more of an originality thing for me. Plus, I haven't bought a CD in years. I went with iPod integration which is even easier with the cassette.
  • Yeah, after reading some of the reviews of the 93 cd player, I decided that I should just try to find a good cassette deck. Plus like you said I only use my zune anyways, so that will be easier to hook up through the deck. I did find a new ford mustang cd player, but it was $325.00. I'll just stick with the cassette deck. Anybody have one they want to sell?
  • Ifo you are trying to find out what radio came in your car, at least for the 92, I found mine listed on the letter I gor from Ford telling me the options originally on my car. It is listed somewhere on here how to contact Ford for the letter. It's pretty nice to have.

As for the equilizer, mine has it and it is pretty retro. Adjusting the sliders to try and get a good sound is pretty tough though. It does look cool with the little power bars flashing to the beat. Feel like I am looking at my old Sony component system from the 80's. There are time I think I should just get something new but then talk myself out of it. The stock radio has a hard time keeping up with the Magnaflows so I for the most part turn down the radio and just listen to the motor rev.........not a bad trade off!
  • I may have my old OEM on from my TWF... I'll check and get back to you...

Anton
  • Let me know if you do. I would be interested.
  • I too looked for a used 93 CD for my car. Finally gave up as John noted - far more expensive than they are worth. I use a cassette adaptor with an iPod - works great with retro cassette spinning squeaks/sounds. :D

As for used radios, you may want to try a specialty salvage yard like MPS (http://www.mpsautosalvage.com/sunshop/). They always have vehicles they are parting out. They may have the radio you are looking for. If I remember correctly the 93 cassette radio (premium sound) is unique for that year. (amp under the seat, special wiring connector to connect the two, etc...)

Their website looks somewhat new to me (remember it being different). Just give them a call and see what they can do for you. As they say - "it’s a free call - so what are you waiting for" - Toll Free 1-800-236-1156.
  • FOUND IT! It needs some cosmetic work, but it functioned when I pulled it about a year ago... Make an offer...

Anton

IMG00011-20090707-1653.jpg
  • Also shown here:
    http://www.triplewhitefox.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/346

I still have many of these parts available...

Anton
  • you still out there nate???

Anton