Discoloration of Plastic Trim

Hi all. I noticed while cleaning my '93 yellow mustang that the plastic trim running halfway up the side of the car from front to back is a bit discolored on one side and looks like new on the other. Does anyone know why the discoloration would be happening and if it's a problem with this particular trim piece on other mustangs? Thanks...

Frankenstang

Comments

• I dont have this problem, Maybe the car sat in a coverd shed with one side off or a pole barn and the sun hit it on the only one side? I have no idea Im just guessing. Post some pictures.. That will help
  • It does sound like UV damage. Try 303 Aerospace Protectant on it. I use it on the black trim and the convertible top. Works great!
  • You may have figured it out, Rare92 - thanks! I'll try to post some pics if I get a chance...

frankenstang
  • Thanks, Stangfan, for the tip. I think I'll need to get the trim painted first, but will try your suggestion to protected it after that...

frankenstang
  • Is it really bad? Your car is so nice.. I saw it when you posted the picts and I didnt notice anything..
  • It's a pretty common problem. My 92 has the same thing and the previous owner tried to paint it and it only made it worst. I think this winter when top down weather is over here in the northeast I am going to have them painted correctly
  • It's bad enough that it detracts from the rest of the paint on the driver's side of the car and now, I tend to focus in on it whenever I see the car. I'm a type A person and need to get it fixed soon or go nuts thinking about it... :)
  • Sounds like sage advice, if I can wait that long... :)
  • I would recommend new trim, (NOS is available) have it painted, and installed. To have it painted correctly it will have to be removed from the car and the body side moldings do not like to be put back on. They tend to warp a little bit once they are pulled off. The paint match should be no problem as the trim sits off the car and is broken up by panel gaps. Before any of this, though you may want to have a top notch shop try a really light sand, compound, polish. I think Ford had trouble with their trim paint throughout the 80's and 90's. I had a 93 GT vert with titanium ground effects from the factory and that paint was always peeling off and the body side door moldings were about 5 shades darker than the rest of the titanium.
  • I believe I misunderstood which trim you were talking about. I use the 303 on the trim around the top which goes under the boot cover. It's a flat black on the 7-Up Car.
  • Yes flat black on the 7-ups and the orhter regular convertibles.. Did you try a wax.. Try a cleaner wax.
    Mequires works the best
  • Thanks for all of your helpful responses. This coming week, I hope to have our local auto body guy take a look and give me an opinion, too. I've come to trust him and I've seen his work in restoring several 1st and 2nd generation Corvettes (am I allowed to say the word "Corvette" on this forum???).

frankenstang
  • Take a pic before if you can.. I would like to see what your seeing..
  • Problem solved... I went to my local body shop today and when he saw the faded, dirty looking trim piece, he said, "here, try this pre-cleaning solution." I tried it and the trim looks like new. No clue as to how it got the way it was, but am relieved that I don't have to deal with having any painting done! Thanks for all of your posts...

frankenstang
  • Glad you were able to take care of the fade. Do you know what was in the "pre-cleaning solution"?
  • I was close! Ill bet the "pre cleaning solution" was close to a cleaner wax. It was just oxidized and that took the junk off!
  • He didn't let on what the actual name was, but said it's only available through auto body suppliers. I found a solvent that sounds like the one he used. It's called 3M Prep Solvent-70 (he specifically called the liquid a pre-cleaner) and it's available at autobodytoolmart.com. Search for cleaners and they have a wide selection. If you want to try to find the exact cleaner he uses, his name is Daryl Dutch and his number is 401-949-1608. This guy really knows his stuff and has been restoring cars for a long time.

frankenstang