Winterization

edited December 2005 in Feature Mustangs
Greetings All. Just finished winterizing my cars and getting them snug for the winter season. Just wanted to remind everyone to 1) don't forget to treat your fuel supply with a quality fuel stabalizer. Run the car for about 10-15 minutes to get the stabalizer into the fuel lines and injectors. 2) trickle charge the battery and disconnect the ground for the storage period. I have found that helps prevents the parasitic drains that makes the battery dead in the spring. 3) make sure your tires are inflated to the factory specifications before you put her up for storage...and don't forget to put a good coat of tire shine on them to help fight dry rot.

Merry Christmas and Happy new year.

Tom

Comments

• Thanks Tom.

I hate to admit it but I have still yet to get mine put away. I've just been too busy. I have Friday off so that sounds like a good idea for that day.

The first few years I had mine, I drove it every few weeks (for at least 10 miles to get it up to full operating temp in order to prevent problems with condensation). Of course finding a time to do it when the roads were dry and clear was a problem. Also, I worried about salt residue getting on the car since it never really gets off the road until the spring rains come. I also left the battery in the car with the trickle charger attached so I left the hood proped open for ventilation. That meant I couldn't cover the car entirely.

Last year was my first year where I just parked it for the whole winter. I pulled the battery so it sat on a bench on the charger. I could cover the car the whole way. I thought it was a better approach. Although, after the first start in the spring I noticed an oil leak. Turned out to be my rear main seal. When the guy at the shop saw my low mileage, he said, "You leave this car sit all winter, the seal dries out, that's why you have a problem." Funny thing is is that its not the first seal I've replaced. Another was when I was using my "old" storage method.

Sorry for the long post but I can't help but wonder how you (and others) feel about the sit vs. drive occasionally question.
  • I let a Mustang sit up once and shortly after starting it again, both the carburetor and fuel pump started leaking like sieves because the seals had dried out. It was sitting for over a year in that case but I would think sitting for 2-3 months every year would have the same effect...only more gradual... and would damage the seals over time. I try to take my 93 out for a spin at least every couple of weeks in the winter, but I live near the coast of Virginia and our winters aren't that bad....it's not difficult to find a decent day to take it out. And when I do, I also make sure to run the A/C for a few minutes to keep those seals in good shape....a tip someone in the business gave me a few years back.
  • Good tip on the A/C. That's something my father told me years ago, too. In fact, given that 95% of my driving is with the top down I use the same guideline in the summer and run the A/C occasionally even with the top down just to keep it going.
  • I never really thought of the A/C thing. But thats a great tip. Our winters are usually very bad, with lots of salt on the roads until the spring. I try and get it started a couple of time a month, and run the tranny through the gears, but never take her out on the roads. So far I've had pretty good luck, but only time will tell.
  • All good points, also the car needs to be "moved" so you don't flat spot the tires, a foot or two forward and back monthly. Leave the windows down a little bit to get some air circulation even with a cover.