Trip white on CL near Cincinati

edited August 2009 in For sale/wanted
I'm bummed. I found what looked like a good deal until I saw the detail pics.

There is a 93k mile trip white on CL near Cincinati and looks like could be had for about $4250 (guy originally wanted 6k but read on). Got the detail pics and it's a mess. It does look to be a trip white but someone put a new BLACK top on it. It does not have the correct wheels or seats but it does have to correct center console, windshield trim, deck lid ect. It looks like someone took a trip white and plain LX and frankenstined them. The white on some of the body panels does not match which further indicates that this might be two cars put together as one.

Had to tell the guy that since his car is not really a trip white nor an original LX his best bet is to trade it on and get the cash for clunkers credit.

Anyway, we are looking for our first (and maybe a second) trip white. I have a '66 289 3sp coupe but I'm the only person in my house that can drive a stick. I've got it up for sale on the Tulsa CL so I can hopefully fund 1 or 2 feature cars.

cheers.

Comments

• tulsaBill, you might want to check this one out...

http://www.festivals-and-shows.com/1993 ... rmont.html

frankenstang
  • Thats sad, to see a TWF gone. The cash for Clunkers means they will be crushed. Wahhhhhhh...
  • Oh, I did not know they crush them. He told me he would take $4250 but that is more than I wanted to pay for a project. It would need at the very least a top, correct leather, and correct wheels.

I offered him $3900 off the description but that was before I knew about all the above.

here is the add it anyone is interested.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/1266812316.html
  • Yes when the"clunkers" come in they are stripped down and crushed. Im afraid alot of nice rare 90's cars will be crushed and not restored later on down the road.
  • Agreed. I was reading up on ithe clunker program on another forum and the dealer must take out the tranny and engine. He can sell the body for parts. If they try and sell it whole after it is turned in, I read that they will be find $15K. So if they get a nice little convertible Fox that may need some work, or someone sees it in the lot and wants it, too bad, they MUST crushed it regardless.

Sad.
  • Instead of transferring a CARS trade-in vehicle directly to a disposal facility, a dealer is allowed to transfer the vehicle to a salvage auction. A salvage auction receiving a CARS trade-in vehicle must certify that it will dispose of the trade-in vehicle in accordance with the regulations.

Bad thing is they will blow up all motors prior to scrapping as well. Check this out....
  • I wonder if right before you traded it in if you totally stripped the car. Take everything out except just enough to make it into the dealer's parking lot. Would they have to give you the max that you qualify for?
  • Why would they blow the motor on purpose?
  • Why would they blow the motor on purpose?
    That's the whole purpose of the program. To get gas guzzling, toxic spewing engines off the road.....
  • Yeah I didnt think about it that way.. Man that really sucks.
  • OK I am now SICK!! I was just watching ABC world news tonight and the lead story was on the cash for clunkers. They were pouring in a chemical called clunker bomb in what looked like a very nice Explorer Sport, it had to be a early 2000 model. Guess what was sitting next to it to get euthanized......5.0 LX Convertible, white with white top with Pony rims!!!

What a awful program!!!
  • They were pouring in a chemical called clunker bomb in what looked like a very nice Explorer Sport, it had to be a early 2000 model. Guess what was sitting next to it to get euthanized......5.0 LX Convertible, white with white top with Pony rims!!!
    That hits too close to home. What a horrible end for that car.

I found the video here.

cashForClunkers1.jpg

cashForClunkers2.jpg

cashForClunkers3.jpg
  • Great find! Looking at it now, it could be a 4 cyl. Then again, I dont think a 4 cyl would qualify, dont they have pretty good mpg?

As for that Explorer, is it me or is that thing pretty nice?

If you search youtube, you will find some of the carnage. There was a nice Volvo S80 that they put the clunker bomb in and had to run it. It went for a few minutes then caught fire. The guy had a fire extinguisher handy but I wonder how many are going to catch fire and hurt someone??

Check out the links. WARNING** Not for someone who is considered a car guy....too upsetting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjBilHH5z2A

Pretty depressing. Good use of our tax dollars though [X-(]

I wonder how many single low income parents could have used that Volvo to get around...........
  • Yeah, those are hard to watch. I wonder what the environmental impact is if one of those catches fire and burns to the ground?!
  • Oh man. I just died a little inside. That Mustang looks to be in good shape too. So is that Explorer, and that Volvo looks brand new. I think this entire thing was a mistake.. Maybe not. It has its ups and downs I suppose. More downs to me..
  • That Mustang had Pony rims on it, suggesting it was a 5.0. :(