Console Paint

Hi, Just wondering if any of you has ever painted or touched up the black center console on your Mustang. If so, what paint did you use and did you do anything special to prepare it? Overall, the paint on my '93 LX console is o.k., but it's obvious that a previous owner used it to put drinks on and some of the paint has chipped off. I was thinking of temporarily marking it up with a black marker pen. Dumb idea?

Thanks for your help, as always...

frankenstang

Comments

• That would be my first thought. Maybe try a sample on a piece of scrap plastic. I would check it out in the sun before the car. Most of the Sharpees are true black and do not have any purple tint in them. Have touched up furniture with a marker, much easier than explaining why I was not watching the kids with both eyes.
  • Original consoles were mold in color black and not painted. Your best solution is to pull the console (not that difficult) and clean with vinyl prep and re-spray the console with the proper black interior paint (available from the on-line resto suppliers or your local automotive paint supplier. ;)
  • true....starting the job correctly that would be the best way to fix it correctly....I have used simple green on mine and it cleaned up the stains very well. The good news is that the black is easy to match if you need to paint.

Has anyone found a solution for the white trim around the seat belt bezels & armrest pads that have a tendency to yellow? I did see a triple white that had the trim repainted with white interior paint and it looked horrible. Curious if anyone has found a way to clean them up or maybe use a solvent on the plastic. Given that most of the solvents are hard on plastic I am hesitant to try anything more than soap & water.
  • Thanks for your insights, Roughneck and 2RareFoxes. I think I would want to try "patching" the black rather than completely re- painting something that had the color molded in. I've never had much luck with surface painting on plastic and, like the triple white you saw, would worry about peeling and other problems...

frankenstang
  • Original consoles were mold in color black and not painted. ;)

I am not so sure about that. I have wear spots on corners that show white through the black. My car is all original and has never been apart.
  • Has anyone found a solution for the white trim around the seat belt bezels & armrest pads that have a tendency to yellow? I did see a triple white that had the trim repainted with white interior paint and it looked horrible. Curious if anyone has found a way to clean them up or maybe use a solvent on the plastic. Given that most of the solvents are hard on plastic I am hesitant to try anything more than soap & water.

Parts of my 7-Up Car's interior are doing this also. I believe the only recourse is to paint. The challenge of course, is to get as close a match as possible. I have had success painting the speaker grills in the back seat, and also painted a grey console box to match my white interior, leaving the pad grey. The paint is very very close.
  • Has anyone found a solution for the white trim around the seat belt bezels & armrest pads that have a tendency to yellow? I did see a triple white that had the trim repainted with white interior paint and it looked horrible. Curious if anyone has found a way to clean them up or maybe use a solvent on the plastic. Given that most of the solvents are hard on plastic I am hesitant to try anything more than soap & water.
    Ron E. shared how he solved the problem on his car via email to me:

"I had paint custom mixed to the armrest color for plastic and put into spray cans at an automotive paint supply shop. Then prepped using a plastic prep agent and spray painted them. I removed the speaker grilles from the armrest on both of my Mustangs to paint and masked the seat belt bezels. They look like new."
  • Thanks for all of the comments. I tend to think that the color is added through a painting process, too, as opposed to being molded in the final color. Hopefully, I'll be able to stop by Tasca Ford (home of the Tasca Racing Team), which I live near to see what they think. If I get any good information, I'll let you know.

Frankenstang
  • I cannot explain your car's variance(it may have been serviced at some point) but the hard plastic trim was molded in color (Lower dash (upper was painted), glove box, console (armrest pad molded in color vinyl), windshield trim, switch bezels, armrest bases (pads molded in color vinyl), door scuffs, kick panels, quarter trim (areas not vinyl wrapped), steering column shrouds, seat belt bezels and covers.
    To be cost and process efficient, FOMOCO molded hard trim plastic parts in color. It would have been cost prohibited for FOMOCO to paint all the interior parts.
    I am positive in the mold in color fact as I have inside information that substantiate this (I work there).