AOD to T5 transmission swap – do you think I am crazy?

edited October 2009 in Feature Mustangs
Looking for opinions.

My TWF is stock except for the 3.73’s that were installed earlier this summer. So glad I made the change. It really makes the car much more fun to drive.

The car came from the factory with the AOD transmission (currently 56,000 +/- miles). When I purchased the car about 10 years ago I compromised on the AOD as that I wanted the TWF and could not locate a clean example with a 5speed. I had two prior Foxes, a 1987 GT Conv and a 1989 notchback, both with 5 speed transmissions and they were a lot more fun to drive.

OK so here is my question.

What do you all think about swapping in a T5 transmission. From the article – link to follow (http://projecthp.ford23.com/Documents/A ... 20Swap.doc) it does not look all that hard and the car could be put back to an AOD state if someone really wanted to.

I am open to opinions – so let me have it…

Comments

• Hey go for it. It's your ride and enjoy it!!
  • I have considered it numerous times for mine. I, too, enjoy a 5-speed more, but would like to try a wide-ratio shift kit before making the switch. In the end, I have kept with originality, even though my car will never be for sale.
  • I say it's your car, so do what you want with it. The only thing I might warn you on is that most 5-speed owners go for the 3:55 gears, while the 3:73s you have are perfect for the automatic cars.
  • Doing a swap is not that bad. Just a little more time consuming than swapping out a clutch. The worst part is hanging the pedals under the dash.

www.mpsautosalvage.com sells a complete kit with a tranny and hardware. Most of the parts are easy to find on ebay and on local car forums. Just takes time hunting everything down.

Regarding the gears, I have ran both 3.73's and 4.10's with a 5 speed. The 4.10's were a little steep for a lot of interstate driving. I have also seen rebuild kits with the reduced ratio on 5th gear which would help with the gears on the highway.

Just a couple of thoughts......good luck.
  • GO FOR IT!! It's your car and make it as fun as possible! That is why we have these cars in the first place!!

I have a 5 spd in my 92 and love it. Unless your car is a daily driver and you are in traffic all of the time, I would put a 5 spd in and keep the auto in the garage. You will find you will put more miles on the 5 spd as it is just more fun (no offense to those auto owners). I You will find that every now and then you will be taking the car out just to rip through the gears.

When you are ready to restore it you could always drop the original auto back in but may find the 5 spd would stay.
  • Thanks to you all for your comments. So if I go with the group it sounds like I would not be ostracized for swapping in a 5 speed. I do however like the comment made by Flyin Tiger “but would like to try a wide-ratio shift kit before making the switch.” Definitely something to think about.

I too saw the MPS website and they have a package (for those looking for the info) (http://www.mpsautosalvage.com/sunshop/i ... ail&p=2680) for those who want it. Looks like it has everything needed for the swap.

Not sure the driveshaft, cross member and computer are necessary components though. If I remember correctly - a trick in the day (when I ordered my 1989 5.0 notch new) was to use a computer from an auto car. :?: Something to do with the fuel delivery or something like that. I think the driveshaft and transmission cross member are the same on AOD’s and 5 speed cars as well. Guess I need to do some more research.

Anyway – anyone else want to provide their opinion? Anyone against the swap idea? I would rather hear about it now than after I start to pull the car apart.

Thanks again for all of your opinions. That is what makes this site and this hobby so great. :D

Kevin
  • Everything mounts up-- the cross member hole slots need to be drilled out an additional 1/4" for the transmission tail housing mount to fit.

The drive shaft does not need to be changed out, the automatics have a balancer near the front u-joint. It will mount up with the 5 speed just fine. Have never had any vibrations, of course I wanted to get an aluminum shaft and never found the excuse to do this after everything mated up without any hints of vibration.

On the swaps I have done the stock automatic computers work just fine.

The plug for the clutch pedal switch to prevent the car from starting while in gear is tucked up behind the fuse block. You will need one jumper wire to go to the transmission, I think I paid $4 on ebay for one a few years back. Search the internet, there are some good forums that outline the entire process. I think I am leaving out one of the wires, I think one of them is also tucked on the underside of the car in the transmission tunnel. Sorry just cant remember all of this exactly.

Regarding the resale value-- tough topic on a triple white. I do not think a 5 speed would detract from the value, especially if you keep the parts to return it back to stock at some point if needed.

Hope this helps.
  • Everything mounts up-- the cross member hole slots need to be drilled out an additional 1/4" for the transmission tail housing mount to fit.

The drive shaft does not need to be changed out, the automatics have a balancer near the front u-joint. It will mount up with the 5 speed just fine. Have never had any vibrations, of course I wanted to get an aluminum shaft and never found the excuse to do this after everything mated up without any hints of vibration.

On the swaps I have done the stock automatic computers work just fine.

The plug for the clutch pedal switch to prevent the car from starting while in gear is tucked up behind the fuse block. You will need one jumper wire to go to the transmission, I think I paid $4 on ebay for one a few years back. Search the internet, there are some good forums that outline the entire process. I think I am leaving out one of the wires, I think one of them is also tucked on the underside of the car in the transmission tunnel. Sorry just cant remember all of this exactly.

Regarding the resale value-- tough topic on a triple white. I do not think a 5 speed would detract from the value, especially if you keep the parts to return it back to stock at some point if needed.

Hope this helps.
  • In my opinion, I would find another fox thats a 5-speed and drive the heck out of it. I couldnt drill a big hole in the firewall in my car. No way. But if you want to, go for it
  • no need to drill a hole in the firewall....the holes are already there from the factory on both auto and 5 speed cars. The speedometer cable on the automatics is currently going through where the clutch cable is routed on the 5 speeds.

Understood on your concern to keep the car stock. Unfortunately I have had this same dillema on 3 different cars after the AOD bands fail. Very tough call on a Feature car with less than 100k miles. I guess it comes down to what you plan on doing with the car, i.e. weekend driver or trailered show queen.
  • Thanks to you all for the input.

I think that Roughneck’s comments are in line with what I am thinking. My AOD, while working good for the moment, given that it is approaching 60,000 miles I am sure that a transmission rebuilt/replacement is in my future (when, I am unsure). Also, I am sure the car was driven somewhat hard in its early life given the overall condition of the traction lock rear when it was rebuilt earlier this summer. [\:D/]

Given the cost of a rebuilt AOD transmission with a better shift kit and a good quality torque converter – I too was thinking about the possibility of the conversion given the overall price being not that much more to convert to the 5-speed. My thought was to make the decision and start to accumulate the parts so when the AOD starts to give up I will already be on my way to start the transformation.

Guess I will have to think on this some more…
  • As a 5 speed owner (ok mine is factory but that made my decision vs a lower mile auto), CONVERT IT AND ENJOY IT!!!! I drove a automatic and to be honest, it was not for me based on my needs. My car is a fun weekend - sunny day car and to row through the gears is such a blast! The 5 spd I can honestly say make the car for me.

I promise you that you will enjoy the car more with the 5 spd. There is something about hitting the gears on a warm summer night! Sitting at a light and "blipping" the gas and getting the exhaust to give back that deep rumble. [B-)]

Great, there goes the Saturday "Honey Do" list!!! Now that I am thinking about it I have to close out this post and head into the garage to take her for a ride!!! I have to get enough runs in before the cold weather sets in!! :D
  • My AOD, while working good for the moment, given that it is approaching 60,000 miles I am sure that a transmission rebuilt/replacement is in my future (when, I am unsure).

My AOD didn't crap out until 157,000 miles. I had to drive it around while slipping for a while due to being in school at the time, but it keep going and never stranded me. The post '85 AODs seem to be fairly reliable, and can take a supercharger without modifications.
  • OK - so here is the follow-up question.

Has anyone here done this swap before? If so, what advise can you lend to me as I consider this change.

Thanks - Kevin