What type of oil do you use?

edited December 2009 in Feature Mustangs
I use Motorcraft Synthetic blend, with a Motorcraft FL-1A filter. Just like when it was new lol. What about you guys? :D

Comments

• Mobil 1 if synthetic from day 1, Castrol otherwise.
  • I use Mobil 1 in my Dodge truck.. it is good stuff.
  • Motorcraft Synthetic blend. 150k on the clock and never opened up.
  • Motorcraft 10w30...i think motorcraft oil is synthetic blend.
  • Yeah, I forgot to post, I use 10w30. Cant beat Motorcraft. All around a good deal..
  • Right now I am using Valvoline full synthetic in the 09 Mustang, my Dodge truck has been on Mobil 1 since it was new. My Feature, when I got it the oil had been changed at the dealership so I don't know what it had, I started using Castrol in it, I had Castrol for my Midget. Since the engine mods and the increase in valve spring pressure and increase in stroke on the valves, I have switched to 15W-40 Rotella. Yes, diesel engine oil, it has a higher zinc/phosphorus additive ratio, plus some other additives, this is another reason diesel oils are more costly, but the reason they can be ran for 10,000 miles plus between changes. My main reason for using it is to reduce the wear on my valve train and since it doesn't see any extreme cold weather and only comes out when it is above 40 degrees, the 15 rating should be fine. It still gets changed every 3000 miles. The 09 Mustang and my truck get changed every 5000 miles.
    Jerry
  • Wow, diesel oil in a Fox. Now that is a first for me. I would be afraid to do it, but it sounds like its working out great for you. You might as well be using Motorcraft diesel oil lol
  • Don't think that I would try Ford diesel oil. Powerstrokes take a specific blend to keep the oil from foaming.
  • Don't think that I would try Ford diesel oil. Powerstrokes take a specific blend to keep the oil from foaming.

Hmmm, not sure where you heard this. I am not sure who makes Fords diesel oil, but I work for a Navistar dealer, as you know Navistar builds the 7.3 for Ford on our side the engine is known as the T444E unless you are talking older than a 1997 then it would still be a 6.9 or a 7.3.

All diesels have a foaming problem because of the amount of moisture produced by the burning of diesel and the humidity in the air, so all of them have some form of anti foaming agent, as do regular oils. The most popular Diesel oil around here is Rotella, 2nd would be Chevron.

If any of you are interested here is a link to a very good web site about oil. Since most of the info we get is from someone trying to sell us on their oil this guy just cuts to the chase so to speak. So far I have not been able to dispute anything on his site. Oil has become some what of a hobby for me since there are so many myths and advertiseing gimmics out there. This oil thing is probably been going on as long as there have been cars. I have heard lots of discssions on this over the years starting when I was little and in my dads garage and listening to his customers. Not lookng for an arguement, just supplying a little info, you make up your own mind.

Hope you at least enjoy the article,
    Jerry

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
  • I had worked for a diesel injection company years ago when the Powerstroke was fairly new. I remember many occurances that the injectors would come in with damage from standard diesel oils. Very expensive mistake for the owners.
  • Really? that is interesting. I know on my Dads 2008 F-250 we always use Motorcraft Oil. It takes 15 quarts of oil, lol that is 3 gallons. And if you guys ever want to see some nasty oil, 5,000 mile Diesel oil is the worst.
  • The first 7.3L was produced from 1988-1993. The original 7.3L diesel was a non-turbo charged indirect injection (IDI) engine, followed shortly after by a turbocharged version. It was very similar to the previous 6.9l IDI diesel engine, which was simply bored out for more torque. This engine is not considered in the powerstroke family. In 1994, the 7.3L underwent some changes. The 7.3L was changed to a direct injection (DI) engine from the original IDI engine. Ford also added electronic fuel injectors and gave it the name Power Stroke.

The 7.3 L (444 CID) Power Stroke was replaced by the 6.0 L (365 CID) for the 2003 model year. This version was built until mid December 2006 (2007 model year). So many 6.0 L Power Stroke engines were proven to be unreliable, and may have cost Ford hundreds of millions of dollars in warranty repairs and leading to a recall and repurchase of at least 500 trucks. There were initial quality challenges which Ford and Navistar have mostly rectified. There were many running changes to the engine and in the 2006 year model the 6.0 had the lowest rate of warranty claims across the board for Ford Motor Company when compared to all of Ford's gas and diesel engines. Navistar called theirs a VT365.

You can find out more about these engines on Diesel Power Magazine's web site.

Rare92 your dads 2008 would be a 6.4 Powerstroke, it is being phased out, Ford and Navistar are parting ways and Ford developed the Scorpion, the 6.7 starting with the 2011 model year. It's a giant step forward in diesel technology.

FlyinTiger, not sure which PSD you are talking about but the most common serious problems with the 7.3's are the injectors, and the second is the turbo. Most of the time though it turns out to be one of the sensors, ie. CPS, ICP, etc. that shut the trucks down. Back to the injectors, we have seen these engines shut down on their own or wouldn't start and had to be towed in just for the lack of not changing the oil as scheduled, or letting it get low. The hydraulic injection pump in some couldn't build enough pressure to fire the injectors the oil was so bad. On the 6.0 it will even plug the injectors. The injectors on the powerstroke whether Ford or Navistar are the same and built by Bosch. UPS who runs more of these engines than anyone has used Rotella, Delo and Delvac or who ever has the best deal without a problem. Not sure what was going on where you worked but it is interesting. Oh well, we will probably never know for sure.

Jerry
  • Why is Ford phasing out the 6.4L? Is it a bad engine?
  • No, as it turns out the 6.4 has been just as good as the late 6.0.

But there has been some bad blood between Ford & Navistar over warranty issues that go back to the late 7.3 model and the early 6.0. There were severe warranty issues even on the Navistar side with the early 6.0 engine. Ford citing the warranty issues were Navistar's fault haulted payment to Navistar for engines, Navistar haulted sending engines to Ford. Ford sued them. Ford was ordered to pay them and Navistar resumed sending them engines but put them on COD. It is a lot more complicated than what I have stated here but you get the idea. I think Ford has wanted their own diesel for some time as they brought this new diesel to market pretty quickly, which means they have been working on it for awhile. Fords truck reputation will be on the line.

A little more background here. Navistar does build the Power Stroke Diesel (PSD) but there are differences between the 2 engines. One main one is Ford turns up the horse power on theirs, thus one of the main reasons Navistar is rebutting the warranty issues. Second is the front structure of the engine is Ford design to accommedate all of Fords belt driven accessories. Third is the electronics and fuel delivery, thus the increase in H/P. You can find Navistar part numbers on many of these parts but they are restricted so you can only buy them at Ford.

A little tip here. If you can get the part number off of the part you need call a Navistar, (known as International Truck) dealer and give them that number, if it is available it is usually cheaper than going to Ford. This is very important, DO NOT call them expecting them to be able to look it up for you, they do not have that information available to them. I know, I have this conversation at least 2 times a week, all I can do is take my best guess but you may not get the correct part and are stuck with a part you can not use, as with most dealers we do not take back electical parts installed or not, we can't tell difference.

Take care,
    Jerry