New Member--1992 Vibrant Red, 5spd, 45k original miles, 100% stock

Greetings all. Have lurked off/on for several months and have been looking forward to posting.

This summer 6/09 I finally found my Shangri-la---a 1992 Vibrant Red limited edition with 5spd and low mileage. I had been looking pretty much the first part of this year for this car, and if you count history, have wanted ever since I was a HS senior in 1992 and saw some of these on the road. I was always a mustang nut--I think it's just in your blood or not. Unfortunately, I never owned a mustang until 10/08 when I convinced my wife to let me pick up a '91 5.0 LX Conv beater (I actually don't count the 1980 mustang I drove at 16 with a straight 6 engine and tan plaid interior---that was a shameful mustang indeed).

The '91 just scratched the itch for the '92 (plus it wasn't a 5spd, which to me, is what makes a sports car).

Through diligent searches on craigs, ebay, autotrader, oodle, google, I managed to find this '92 in my home state of KS. It was unfortunately quite overpriced. The previous owner was a nice gal who drove it home from Florida 10 years ago and basically parked it in her garage as a collector (put 5k miles on it over 10 years--a little less than 1/2 of that driving it home from Florida). It is 100% stock except for the battery and tires.

Fortunately, through some persistence, we reached a deal. To help smooth the waters of now owning 2 mustangs and displacing the family minivan from the garage, I told my wife that this '92 beauty should really be hers. The '91 has since been sold (and I'm on the prowl for one more mustang).

Once back, I rehabbed the leather seats a little bit with some Meguiar's aloe and zaino'd the exterior with multiple coats to bring out the shine--the paint really shows that it has been kept out of the elements. Drives like new, and, I believe we are the first owners under 40 years old who have owned it, so it hasn't been beaten to death.

We've put about 400 miles on it this summer, mostly driving it home and to a KS car show (see pic). My wife enjoys picking the kids up from school with the top down on the nice sunny days (which are gone for the season) and get away from the minivan for awhile. I get to enjoy drives whenever I want and enjoy a dream realized close to 20 years after the time it was conceived.

Now our only dilemma is the collector car one: do you drive it and enjoy it all you want, or keep the mileage low and the collectability high???

Thanks for reading! ----Chris

P1060118.jpg

P1060111-1.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

Comments

• Hi Chris, welcome to the site. That's a nice looking car!

I realize your question is perhaps a rhetorical one but, as you suspect, and like many of us here, you will eventually find a compromise between enjoying it and collecting it. Some think the two are opposing concepts! I drive mine about 1,500 miles a year and wish I drove it more. Although, 50k miles is very near for me and its coming gives the same feeling as when one approaches a milestone in age (although, I have not passed the 5-0 milestone myself). Its both a happy and sad event. I liked the reaction when I told people my car had 4x,xxx miles. But, hey, 50k isn't that much, is it?
  • Hey welcome to the site. As for your question. Enjoy it. We have a "High" mile feature that has been restored and a "low" mile Cobra and we try to enjoy them both. The ole Pony's need to get out and run from time to time.
  • Well lets see, K State fan. Kansas plate, and with what looks like a Saline county sticker.

First, great looking feature. Second welcome to the site from a fellow Kansan. I am from the Wichita area.

Hope to see you around.
    Jerry
  • Welcome to TWF. Nice to see another '92. I am dreading the 20K mile mark on my car, it has 19,200 on it now. lol Same story with my car, except it was a little old lady, didnt want to drive it because it messed up her hair! lol

Drive the car on nice days, not in snow and rain, but when its nice out, go for it. That my rule.
  • My rules are the same as Rare 92's
    except the snow part..... I am in Florida LOL

Welcome, its nice to see another Vibrant Red :-)
  • I bought mine with 72,000 miles on it, I have had it 3 years and now have over 89,000 miles on it. It will break the 90,000 mile mark soon. I figure with the miles I drive it, usually weekends only and not every weekend, I will break the big 100 in about 2 years. I try to take very good care of the car since I got it and have gotten it back up to where it looks like it only has about 30,000 on it. The top is the only thing that is starting to give away it's age.

As for mods, I struggled with keeping it original vs mods. I finally decided to make it my own and brought the engine up to 338 H/P but tried to stay with mods that I didn't have to change the car engines general appearance. The engine mods are what won me a 1st place trophy at the Cobra Shelby Nationals last year, the other cars were just as nice on the outside. I also can pull out the old parts and put it back just the way it was. I just thought the car needed to run as good as it looked, just my opinion.

It will be out of the garage this weekend for a short 120 mile round trip cruise with some of my Mustang's friends. Temps will be in the 30's but sunny, the top will stay up. LOL.

Jerry
  • I thank everyone for their welcomes and thoughtful posts. In looking briefly through other forums, there's just something about the people here that is just pleasant. I really like feature mustang people :)

I think I agree with fair weather enjoyment. There's a nagging part of me that also says fossil fuel automobiles might be a limited pleasure of the next few decades. I'd hate to deny a fun drive here or there and wake up someday with a 2000 pound obsolescence.

Cheers!
    Chris

Haha I agree, I am in Texas. [B-)] I noticed he was in Kansas and i know about the snow.

Haha I agree, I am in Texas. [B-)] I noticed he was in Kansas and i know about the snow.

They got a lot more of the white stuff and ice than we did just 70 miles south.

It's funny but it seems all the really bad weather here in Kansas hits right on the I-70 and north. Kind of like mother nature just drew a line. :D

Jerry
  • I bought mine with 72,000 miles on it, I have had it 3 years and now have over 89,000 miles on it. It will break the 90,000 mile mark soon. I figure with the miles I drive it, usually weekends only and not every weekend, I will break the big 100 in about 2 years. I try to take very good care of the car since I got it and have gotten it back up to where it looks like it only has about 30,000 on it. The top is the only thing that is starting to give away it's age.

As for mods, I struggled with keeping it original vs mods. I finally decided to make it my own and brought the engine up to 338 H/P but tried to stay with mods that I didn't have to change the car engines general appearance. The engine mods are what won me a 1st place trophy at the Cobra Shelby Nationals last year, the other cars were just as nice on the outside. I also can pull out the old parts and put it back just the way it was. I just thought the car needed to run as good as it looked, just my opinion.

It will be out of the garage this weekend for a short 120 mile round trip cruise with some of my Mustang's friends. Temps will be in the 30's but sunny, the top will stay up. LOL.

Jerry

Well, 40 degrees and cloudy now for tomorrow. Still planning on going if that doesn't change for the worse.
    Jerry
  • 45K miles is low and should be treated as such, but I would not let it deter you from driving your car. IMO, it is past the threshold of being a true low mileage car. I look at car sub 20K miles as low mileage cars. Rare 92 is in quite a quandry as he near that plateau. Depreciation sets in as you add a 2 in front. More depreciation when you a 3, and so on. 45K gets you a very clean car, but normally comes with more replacement of wear and tear parts, such as battery, tires, hoses, etc. Your car is not original past that point.

Mine sits with 163K miles of enjoyment. I may be near the highest mileage on this site, but many memories and stories go with those miles. That's what ownership is all about. :D
  • ...but many memories and stories go with those miles. That's what ownership is all about. :D
    EXACTLY! Let's all never forget that....

Anton
  • While my car is very low mileage, it did require a new battery, new mufflers, new battery.. ect. Most of you 45K mile guys have original mufflers, but water sat in mine due to it not being driven and rusted them pretty bad.
  • wow...beautiful pix! welcome! nice to see another red 5speed on board.