Oil problem..

edited December 2009 in Feature Mustangs
So, When I changed my oil last, it had about 1,500 miles on it, but it had been about 6 months and I can do a complete motorcraft change with sythetic blend for $15.00. I warmed the car up, I put it up on the lift, removed the oil cap, and pulled both plugs, and let it drain for about an hour. But when I add 4.5 quarts, its a little above the full mark! What could this be?

Comments

• I discovered this problem on my car just 6 months ago. 5 quarts of oil and it is well over the full mark. I have been meaning to post on it but I have been waiting to do another oil change in order to verify what I am seeing.

My experience was that I had my car in for repairs and decided to have them do an oil change at the same time. When I arrived to pick it up, the mechanic was panicked. He was telling his boss that he was afraid to start the car after adding oil. I asked what the problem was and he showed me the dipstick. It was well above the FULL mark. What he noticed was a line scratched into my dipstick at the exact point where his five quarts filled to and he asked if it was the original dipstick. I thought it was.

dipstick.jpg

I had done every other oil change on the car in the 7 years I have owned it but somehow failed to notice this?!

A Google search for the dipstick part number (F1ZE-6750-DA) turns up discussions on this very problem. From my reading it may be that the dipstick is wrong. On my next oil change I am going to be extra attentive.
  • No way, that is exactly where mine is too, great. Well at least I am not crazy. Ok, this is even stranger. In the owners manual it says as long as its not above the F on Full mark it wont to damage to your engine. What the..? Fords I swear.. lol Should have been a recall. Well I just went and added the other .5 quart and will call it a day.
  • I always put 6 quarts in mine every oil change and it was right at the full mark at the top of the hatches. 5 never registered on the dipstick.
  • The dipsticks in these cars are just plain wrong. Best thing is to add the exact amount called for in the manual and then note where it sits on the dipstick. My 68 on the other hand sits exactly on the full line when I do the oil and filter change.
  • Okay just saw this.

I changed my oil 3 weeks ago and didn't notice any problems, went out and just checked and it is right on the money at the top above the hash marks.

I also checked the part number on the dipstick and it is the same as the one John mentioned.

I always use a Motorcraft FL1A filter and 5 quarts of oil. I fire the car up check oil pressure and for leaks, shut it off and wait about 15 minutes and it is always in the same spot on the stick.

Don't know what is going on with yours.

Jerry
  • That is so strange. Mine is way off. Well, from now on I will just add 5 qts and act like the dipstick is right.
  • Wow, I have had this same issue and thought I was crazy! Looks like a common problem.
  • Okay here ya go problem solved.

If you have an owners manual go to Pg. 235 go to the bottom of the page to the picture and also read #6.

If you don't have a manual, it shows that the normal level is above the hash marks and should be about half way up to the word Full, it will normally be in this area after an oil change. If the oil level is above the letter "F" it is to full.

Hope this puts your mind at ease.
    Jerry

PS: It also says to check it after the engine has warmed up and then shut it off and check it after 5 minutes.
  • Jerry, thanks for pointing that out. That really is the first place we all should have looked. But, hey, who reads their owners manual?

1993OwnersManualp235.jpg
  • Yeah, I posted that I had figured that out earlier, but I didnt make it clear. Its like, why ford would you make the cross hatch if full is really below the F?????? UGH! lol I still love my car.. lol