Yellow ponies OE option? T or F?

edited March 2010 in Feature Mustangs
I don't believe this guy......but I have to ask to find out 100% as this guy claims they are real and no BS as he bought a car off the lot with them. He claims that he bought a 93 Chrome yellow convertible off the lot in Canada in 93 with yellow ponies. He states that he has only seen two others one in Seattle and one in California. He claims if you didn't want the crhome ponies (not sure why you wouldn't as they were by far the nicest fox body wheels ever produced) you could order these.....like I said....first I ever heard of.....but he swears up and down that it is true....but hey...we have all heard that kinda stuff before. Personally the shade of yellow looks off, but it is not a good pic. Can some one please help me out? He claims they are very rare....John....what do you think?

Comments

• It could have been something the dealer did. The dealer may have taken the chrome ponies for some other car and the had the shop spray a generic set yellow. Imagine this: Some guy comes in to buy a 93 hatch and says "I'll do the deal if you put those chrome wheels on it". A lot of dealers would do it.
  • I would say these never came on the car from Ford. Ask him for the part number off the wheels, then post that here. I can tell you what the part number is for. When Ford was producing the 93 Yellow cars, they were having troubles with the chrome wheel passing a 3/36000 warranty period. They were almost going to scrap the chrome wheel until they finally got the quality of the chrome to come up to warranty standards. For some early press photos of the 93 yellow car, Ford actually used a yellow/white with standard argent ponies. Ask this man if he has any documentation such as window sticker or a dealer installed option addendum to the window sticker.
  • I think Bill and Tom are correct here. I've never heard of yellow pony wheels, have never seen a car with them nor have seen a part number for them. The car almost certainly did not leave the factory with them. I think if they were an orderable option we would know about them already via an article written when the cars first were produced, some Ford literature, or in discussions we have had with people who were involved or familiar with their production at that time.

Unfortunately, even if it were true, he would have a hard time proving it. The window sticker does not break out the "feature car" package specifics.
  • I want to see a picture of this thing!!
  • If he bought it there then he has the window sticker, right? I checked my Ford parts manual and no number for yellow rims, only silver, white and chrome. I also had the local Ford dealer check their micro fiche and not there either.
  • I want to see a pic too!
  • Skip the pic of the wheel. Show me the window sticker or dealer invoice.
  • Car has been "long sold" and he kept the wheels. Apparently they came in "flat yellow" or get this "yellow opalescent" will see if I can figure out how to attach the pic to the post.....either that or someone shoot me an e-mail and they can post. I asked him "how much.....just out of curiosity?" as his ad said "expensive" for the price. He wants $1,800 CDN!! or $3,200 with near new factory tires! Ouch!
  • I am heading to close to where he is located in the next few weeks to pick up my fresh 5.0 for my 7-up car. While I am there, I will arrange to view and see these in person for myself....not that I would spend $1,800.....I just have to see these in person and will report back to people here......stay tuned. -Brent
  • Well, it looks like a quality job, Ive seen people paint rims, with the tires still on. But, jeeze those things are UGLY!
  • Tires......there is a good indicator, what are the tires? If they are suppose to be original then that will help solve the mystery. I still thingk 100% they are fake and so does the 4 Ford dealers that I checked with.
  • Yeah, I think they are kind of ugly.....
  • He contacted me to say that there is a "deal pending" with his contact at the California Mustang Club. States same part # as silver ponies. He states not a factory option, but sounds like a dealer add on. He stated the tires were factory Michelin, Pilots? I believe XGT's he said. Yeah....I think they are kinda ugly as well....just thought I would try to snag them if indeed they were rare as my chrome ones are not the best. But the price is way too much. I think other people called him out on these because he stresses in his ad that they are real.
  • Going with the theory that the dealer painted them. I remembered in 93 Saleen built a Mustang convertable that was Yellow, I think he only built one. Any way, he put Yellow 5 spoke wheels on it, not ponys, but someone could have been trying to copy that look.

Here's a link: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredv ... index.html

Jerry
  • Oh yeah, I forgot about that Saleen. I just read the referenced Mustang Monthly article which states there is only one. I always thought there were two (one without yellow wheels):

MustangSpecialEditions-cover_thumb.jpg

But, I just looked up the Mustang Special Editions book and the owner name listed is the same as in the Mustang Monthly article. I guess he has two sets of wheels. It's interesting that for a cover shot he wouldn't use the original yellow wheels.
  • He hasn't had the yellow wheels on the Saleen for some time now. The 3-piece Sterns are coveted in the Saleen world.