Seat track extension for taller drivers

edited April 2010 in Feature Mustangs
Hey everybody,

I did a quick search of this topic in the archives and it looks like it was discussed about 5 years ago. I wanted to bring it up again to see if any of the taller drivers had any unique solutions to extending the seat track in the Feature Mustangs.

I am 6'4" and my wife is 6' 2" so the drivers seat in our 92 Feature is a little tight. I have perfomed this mod on my 95 GT with great results: Seat Mod . The seats in the Feature Mustangs will accept the same modification. However, the floor mounted third point for the seat belt leaves only about 1/2" before the seat bottom will hit it when fully extended as delivered from Ford. Plus it looks like the seat back will hit the rear seat trim. I also thought of modifiying the lean back mechanism but it looks like a nice big thick rivet is what is limiting the seat back travel. I am hesitant to go drilling on it since I don't have a similar means of limiting the seat travel once I drill it out and drill a new hole.

I have tried the generic seat track extenders on my 95 in years past but they jack the back of the seat up so far that my head scrapes the roof and I am looking through the tint at the top of the window. So, raising the rear of the seat to get over the seat belt mechanism is out since I am pretty close to rubbing the top in stock form.

About the only modification that I have been able to mentally come up with was putting a couple of spacers under the front seat mounts to effectively lean the seat back a little.

Does anybody else have ideas?

Comments

• Update.

Well, I decided to go ahead and perform the seat track mod listed in the previous post. I am very glad I did. I can now move the seat back roughly an additional 3/4 to 1 inch by my estimate. I can basically back the seat up until it contacts the lower seat belt mount. I don't push it so far that it jams into it but enough to touch. With me sitting in the seat, I have roughly 1/4"+ of room between the seat back and the rear interior trim.

I now have enough additional leg room in the car to feel comfortable. Getting in our out is easier and I don't feel like I am eating the steering wheel anymore. I would highly recommend this free mod to any tall Feature Car owner.