Lower Driver Side Weatherstripping

edited April 2010 in For sale/wanted
Hi. Does anyone know a good place to buy weatherstripping for my '93? The lower driver side weatherstripping where the driver gets in was kinda beat up by the previous owner and I'm not sure what to buy or where to buy it. Part of the problem is not a lot of time to look around... Thanks!

Happy St. Patty's Day!

frankenstang (not Irish, but I can drink beer with the best of them)

Comments

• I got mine from late model restoration
  • Thanks for the tip - I found what I was looking for right away and it didn't break the bank (not yet, at least...).

frankenstang
  • You are welcome! LMR has gotten a lot of $$ from me over the past 2 years. ha ha
  • frankenstang - did you install your weatherstriping yet? If so, how did you tuck the end piece into the a pillar? Or did I make mine way to long and I need to tuck it in somewhere else? I have this end piece sticking out and I don't know what to do with it.
  • Haven't had a chance to do it yet, YellowandGreen, but hope to this coming weekend. I was told by a reliable source to just try to splice in the new piece as a replacement for the worn piece by cutting both at 45 degree angles, so I plan to give this a try... This way, I'll only have to remove the sill, which is where the old piece is worn. frankenstang
  • Oh that is a good idea! Too late for me though. I found some instructions yesterday online... I think I know what the problem is.

http://www.yellowmustangregistry.com/50resto.html
  • Great timing on this post. I have the parts from LRS coming right now. I plan on replacing my door weather stripping this weekend. I was wondering how to do it properly on a convertible.

Thanks for posting that link YellowandGreen.
  • Yes, thanks for posting the link, YellowandGreen. I have the yellow mustang registry as a favorite, but had forgotten that they have some good instructional material there. Hopefully, I won't mess up the installation of my new weatherstripping...

frankenstang
  • You are both welcome! Good luck to everyone on this project.
  • Well, here it is 2 weeks later and I STILL haven't put the new weatherstripping on...hopefully, next weekend, but I've just been too busy on weekends. I'll let you know if/when I ever get it installed. :)

frankenstang
  • Alright, I finally got my driver and passenger side door weather stripping put on.

I wasn't able to get the top latch points off as detailed on the yellow mustang site. I took all of the screws out and it loosened up a bit, but I couldn't pull it off. I guess I was too chicken to start prying on it for fear that it would break or I would slip and gouge my car interior.

So, ended up leaving the very top end of the original weather strip in place and cutting the new weather strip where the pinched seams double up (you'll know it when you see it). That is where the main portion of the original piece stopped as well.

It doesn't look too bad. But, it doesn't exactly blend into the upper portion of the A pillar like the original did.

The doors close much more solidly now though!
  • The latch points were hard to remove. I had to take the screws out of the piece that goes along the top of the windshield and slide out the latch piece from behind it. Also, cutting the end piece down to fit into the little space on the top corner of the windshield frame was a challenge.