Car values

edited April 2010 in Feature Mustangs
My search for our second feature car continues.

The cars I have found fall into two categories: Adults that have taken good car of the car and are willing to reasonably negotiate and folks with a rotted out POS who think that because it's a feature all the flaws should be overlooked. I think the latter come from kids who were not the original owner and paid way too much for the car to begin with based on it's feature status, put some dumb mods on it, and then decided to pass on their misfortune and get all their money back and then some.

I've looked at cars with incorrect tops, incorrect seats, body damage, filthy badly modified engines, rust, junk yard swapped parts and all manner of junk and still get "Hey I know what this car is worth" from overly proud punks. The ones that really tickle me are the ones that say they'll just keep driving it rather than take a loss and then turn around and re-list the car again. I guess they figure they will find a sucker bigger than themselves and unload their project on some other stary eyed kid w/ a big ins settlement check in his pocket.

Now I would be willing to buy a diamond in the rough and put money into it to get a car to the correct value but these kids don't understand that the features value is only in a correct, complete car. A car with 'potential' is only worth what it's worth and the feature premium is a minimum in those cases.

off my soapbox

for what it's worth I've found a cool site that lets you search all CL adds in multiple markets for feature cars:

http://www.allofcraigs.com

Comments

• One more to add: Found a fairly good 93 White automatic but the add said it was one of 444 and 'one of the rarest mustangs ever built'. I asked him why his was so rare and I advised him it was really more like 1 of 1500. His response "one of 444 still on the road".

LOL! It's that kind of subterfuge that messes up the natural second hand economy on these cars. No doubt that's what some slick used car salesman told this hapless guy so he's not about to back down even knowing the truth.
  • What kind of values are you seeing? Seems like in NJ they values are down. There was one guy selling a 92 feature, needed some body work, but the guy was asking $1800! It had around 110K miles. I was tempted to buy and either fix it up or part it out. I actually could have used some of the parts for my feature.
  • Looking for something a little closer to home. Someplace that I can take a bus or short flight to and drive it back. Value depends on the car and how much it will take to get it presentable. No more than 6-8k total w/ restore work.
  • Here in the midwest there have been a few feature's for sale. A member of our local Mustang club just bought a 93 triple white auto/air/cd with 73k on it for 6,000.00. Decent original car but does need some work.