Axle ratio's

edited August 2006 in Feature Mustangs
How were the axle ratio's determined? Was there a order option for manual transmissions?

Comments

• I just found some time to look into this. The "Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference and Performance Handbook" lists the following:

Engine: 5.0L V8; Transmission: manual; Standard Rear Axle: 2.73:1; Optional Rear Axle: 3.08:1
    Engine: 5.0L V8; Transmission: AOD; Standard Rear Axle: 2.73:1; Optional Rear Axle: 3.27:1

All were Traction-Lok.

This roughly agrees with the "Fox Body Mustang Recognition Guide" which lists the same standard and option for the manual V8 car but states that the auto was only available with the 3.27:1 which I know is wrong becuase my car has the 2.73:1

I hope that helps.

John
  • John, thanks for looking into this, is there a way to find how many yellow w/white 5 speed w/3.08 were made? Mines 1 of 113 but if you mix in the optional axle ratio that combination should be reduced.
  • I don't have that information myself. I bet that it is something Terry McCoy would know since he has all the build statistics for the feature cars
  • Hey just wanted to get you some info on the axle ratio and the correated option codes for them on the 5-speed cars the opt axle was the 3.08 and it was an option code 45c. the sales sheet that I have indicates that this option had no additional charge associated with it, you just had to ask for it. As for the auto cars the axle ratio was the 3.27 and it has an E code denoted within the driverside door area and the option code was also the 45c and once again there was no charge for this option. After reviewing the additional option chart there were only 2 items that had no addional charges associated with them the rear gear and the front license bracket. Hope this helps. P.S. I am sure that of the 113 yellow/white 5-speed cars built there are very few with the optional rear gear. Most of these cars were just built and shipped to the dealers but I am sure that there are a few rare ducks out there. Mr. Mccoy may be of some help in your quest to find out the number built. Good luck..Sincerely Chet Zeidler

1993 Yellow Feature A/C Delete car
    1998 Bright Alantic Blue Cobra
  • P.S. I am sure that of the 113 yellow/white 5-speed cars built there are very few with the optional rear gear. Most of these cars were just built and shipped to the dealers but I am sure that there are a few rare ducks out there.

I fully agree with that but I was surprised when I looked at the registration statistics I have to date. Although, they may not be an accurate assessment of all feature cars though since only about 5% of all feature cars have registered on this web site.
    Transmission 2.73 3.08 3.27 Not provided 
    ============ ==== ==== ==== ============
    AOD          39   N/A  44   13
    Manual       14   27   N/A  5

Note: these numbers won't fully agree with the registration stat page since I just cleaned up some discrepancies to get these numbers. And, on that page, I don't cross transmission and axle numbers.