Latest info on leather

edited June 2010 in For sale/wanted
Looking for anyo9ne who has up-to-date info on replacement leather.

I got swatches today from LRS but the white is off and the grain is wrong. Looks like I might have to buy a skin myself and go the custom route. If that's the case new seats will have to wait.

I've tried to follow a lot of links and other sugestions but they all ran into dead ends.

Comments

• I have oxford white leather seat covers for the rear (upper and lower) that are in excellent condition that I can sell for $150. If you have interest I can send pics to you. These are Ford OEM covers.
  • Which car do ytou have? 92 and 93 are different with the piping.

If you have a 92 I would highly suggest Auto crafters http://www.customseatcovers.com/. If you are in NJ check out: http://www.moorestownupholstery.com/

Tell him the guy with the red and white Mustang was there in 09 for a full set of leathers. Awesome work and the seats are as correct as one can get. Remember to look for the following:

Correct Piping: very important IMO. I have the black piping and my guy said the thin piping is hard to find. Most leather kits have a very thick piping and to me it looks out of place (even on the white 93's)

Leather Pattern: Some have a grain look and others have a "dot" pattern. Really make sure it looks as close to original as possible. The dot pattern on some kits again looks out of place.

Color: Some kits have a correct white and others not. Remember there are 2 colors out there, bright white and oxford white. My 92 after looking at swatches is Oxford. I have seen a 92 with Bright white and again it looks out of place as it is ultra bright.

Leather/Vinyl: I was stuck with this one. Do I save a few hundred and get vinyl which will never need replacement as it wears like iron or go to the leather and may have to replace it years from now. To me it came down to look and feel. The vinyl kit looked a little too glossy for my taste.

Anyway, good luck on your search! Search this site as it has been discussed on variious threads the past few years.
  • Thanks but my rear seat is in near perfect condition.
  • I've got the 93. The sample I got from LMR looked a little grey and had a crinkle grain to it. I called TMI and they are sending me some more swatches. In their catalogue they at least recognise the 92 and 93 feature cars so I'm hoping they know what they are talking about.

LMR is listed as one of TMI's distributes but the swatch they sent me had a different description. LMR called it 'snow white' while the TMI just has a color number L965. I'm hoping that the LMR and TMI swatches are not from the same product.

Going with leather for sure. This is a less then 1000 miles a year car so I'm not so worried about durability.

That's a good tip on the piping. Since I will have white piping I had not considered the size. If I go w/ TMI I'll see if I can get a sample of that too.
  • I've pretty much decided to go with Lou at Laurel Mt based on all the good comments here. I'm waiting for a color watch from TMI directly just to be sure that the leather they are using today is as good as what they have been using.
  • Nice find on that link Anton! I forgot how nice my seats look in that before and after photo. Also reading up on the double stitching on the Autocrafter seats and the OEM style piping was interesting. I kind of forgot I took so much into consideration in the purchase.

A year later the seats still look brand new. I guess they would as I only drive her on nice days!!

I will be at Carlisle if anyone wants to check them out.
  • Tulsa Bill, not trying to sway you but do take a look at the seats on my car from Autocrafters. I do remember comparing their seats with TMI and the Autocrafters IMO looked better and were built better. The installer I bought them from showed me the difference as he was installing a set of TMI for a Fox Mustang customer who brought in. I remember the piping on TMI was thicker then the Autocrafters and more closer to factory spec. Also he showed me how the Autocrafters were double stitched underneath where the TMI were not.

Anyway, I remember going through the same process and was dead set on TMI. My installer talked me into the Autocrafters and glad he did.

Well, good luck in your search.

(reading over this again it sounds like I work for Autocrafters! I honestly can say I have no vested interest in this. I just want to make sure you have all of the options before you spend the money for new seats. Regardless, I know you will be happy either way on that first cruise with new seats :D )
  • Got my swatch of the TMI leather and the grain matches but the color is awfully grey. It's almost a bone color. In the catalog they make no distinction between the 93 and 93 white. I think I will go with a shop that can custom order the correct leather and make a set of seats in the shop.