New to forum - but have been lurking for a while

Hi All,
I have had my car for 6 weeks and have been having too much fun to take the time to post...

It's a '92 Summer Edition and I found it on Craig's List locally here in Metro Detroit and had no idea there was such a thing as a feature car until the original owner told me.

That's when I found this site. Great place, great info and great people!

She has 31,000 miles and is very clean, NO rust - anywhere, still has the original tires.

Thanks to John for setting up this forum and to all of you for making it a fun and informative spot.

I will post some pictures soon.

Regards,
Jeff

Comments

• Very nice car. The original owners had been trying to sell that car in the spring of 2008 when I was looking for a 92 Feature. I was making plans to fly out to look at that car but they contacted me to say someone bought it. I bought mine and the deal Stan thought he had fell through and he continued to try to sell it using different avenues until you found it. That car is 100% original, I believe. I would love to see more pics of that car. What are your plans for that car? Good luck with the car.
  • Noac, thanks for the post and kind comments.
    The owners were asking a hefty sum, IMO, and may have been the reason it took so long to sell. Lydia did tell me about a pending sale that went bad due to the buyer losing his job. I just assumed it was a sales gimmick because she did not want to come down on her price.

I finally got some movement but still think I overpaid. Not complaining mind you, I pulled the trigger, just my opinion.

The car is VERY original – original tires – the only things that I know have been replaced are the battery (she put one in this spring and told me about it) and the accessory belt. You can see where it broke and tore up the hood liner. For some reason she did not want to come clean when I asked her about it?

It is very clean, minimal wear on the seats and carpet and a few small stains and rips (I do mean small) on the top. All appropriate for the age.

I have rubbed, cleaned, polished and waxed the daylights out of it. This is my first red car, and the era’s paint must be different or someone rubbed off the clear coat (lots of red on the rags). Very difficult to get a good even wet look. I finally achieved a good look with Mothers three step.

I was also glad to find an un-molested car, as I am sure you know these are ripe for mods and racing and the last thing I wanted was someone else’s handiwork.
    My plans are to keep it clean and cosmetically original – that is, as I repair mechanics I will use what makes best sense. My first order of business is to get the suspension and steering in line – lots of work as evidenced by the cupping and wear on the tires. Again, age appropriate.

My wife and daughter enjoy riding in it and we are having fun – which is EXACTLY why I wanted a convertible. I am very happy with the car and will most likely keep it until someone makes me an offer I can’t refuse. You know, everything is for sale.

Now that I have a good clean wet look I plan on getting it by the water for some pictures to post showing off my detailing efforts.

I have spent some time here and like what a few guys have done, cobra2top for example, lowering the car a bit and the pinstripe. But I don’t want to copy too much so I am just thinking about lowering it an inch or inch and half.
    Thanks again I look forward to talking with everyone,
    Jeff
  • Hey irishthree...I believe the 92 vert came with a single stage paint. That's why you have been getting red on your polish and wax rags. Once you get all the dead paint off, keep it well waxed and you won't have that issue as much in the future.

Nice car by the way!! [B-)]
  • Hoodliners are no big deal to replace and are available everywhere 7
    oem Ford. The paint on your car is EY single stage. You will get red on your rag. Paint is very thin so don't go too far. A product that was recommended to me and I love is Megiuars Ultimate Compound - which can be used by hand and Ron Everest turned me on to the Tech Wax. Is the car undercoated? Their price was on the high side, but I would have paid it being so original and buying from original owner is awesome.
  • Thanks Steve! I cheked out your website and like it - great pics and a sweet car.

noac, I have been looking around and you are right, they are everywhere...there is an all Ford car show - at Ford in Dearborn no less - on August 8th with a swap meet. Thought I would check it out first.

The car was never undercoated and is very clean.

The paint finish is pretty close to done, maybe one more polish and wax before winter, and like Steve suggested, keeping it waxed.

If anyone has suspension/sterring tips I'd be open to hear them.
    Jeff
  • Hey Jeff, congrats on the 92! They are awesome cars especially this time of the year!

Thanks for the nice words on mine. I must admit I am not the "builder" of my car. That was the previous owner and IMO did exactly what I wanted to do to the car if I bought one. The nice thing is it was already done so all I need to do was drive.

Feel free to copy away. I know how much fun mine is now that it is lowered and tightened up with the ugraded Steeda suspension and sub frames, it really changes the feel of the car. I actually do have alot of the parts to bring it back to stock if I wanted but I dont see that ever happening in my ownership. It just is too much fun and looks great, again IMO.

As for the wax, HUGE fan of Zanio. A few have used it here and it does amazing results. I have used it on my show cars for the past 10 years with great results. My car is a nice weather garage queen so it has been a good 2 years since I did the Zanio system, not by choice, just kids and work always in the way. All I do now is wash it with their car wash soap and finish with their detailing spray and it comes out amazing.

Anyway, good luck with the car and welcome to the site. Great group of people here!!