Who has Hagerty Collector Car insurance?

edited September 2010 in Feature Mustangs
I just got off the phone with Hagerty and they are not willing to cover my car at this time.

They say that newer than 1990 requires special consideration. Since my car is still waiting to go into the shop for paint they can't rate it as excellent+ condition. Also, I put a value of $15,000 on it and they say that this is the bottom limit of how much they will insure a newer car for. Ironically it would have been an easyer sell had I insured it for more.

I directed them to this site and advised that even an 1100 mile car only went for $18000 on ebay so I did not think that 15k was out of line for my 30k mile car.

So who else has Hagerty? I already have a Hagerty policy on my 65 Chevy so I figured this would be an easy sell. I think the underwriter may not understand the value in the Feature cars. If I could point them to some other policy holders maybe it would be a simpler transaction.

Comments

• I have my policy with American Modern and go through a local (Rhode Island) agency called Sacchetti Classic Insurance. Their website is at www.sacchettiagency.com if you want to try them. My coverage is for $12,000 with no deductible and it costs $265/year. I think they offer Hagerty, too - at least they used to.

frankenstang
  • I have Grundy worldwide--insure it for whatever you want--as long as you can answer a couple of statements that it is not your primary driver. Very, very, very reasonable. I can't believe how easy it is--makes me think it won't last.

I have heard of people being denied for them if their primary driver car is too old and deemed "unreliable" for primary transportation.
  • I have heard of people being denied for them if their primary driver car is too old and deemed "unreliable" for primary transportation.

That was the reason Hagerty gave me. My daily driver is a 2006 Taurus but my wife has a 96 Mustang. They said since the 92 has A/C and is a 'modern' car and the '96 might be prone to failure that my wife might be tempted to use the '93 as a backup.

Sounds like a chicken **** answer to me. Oh well; I am waiting to hear back from Grundy. Hagerty must not want my business.
  • After I sent in some pics and explained a little more about the Feature cars to Hagerty they decided to go ahead and cover it for 15k. I think it was more a case of they didn't want me to take both my cars to Grundy or some other company. They quoted me $523 a year for my '93 @ 15k and my '65 Chevy at 12k. Of the $523, $325 is just for the '93.
  • You may also want to check Heacock classic ins. They are a sponsor of the MCA and may be more up to date on the Features.
  • + 1 for Heacock insurance. They have been great, and easy to deal with. I have my 65, 92, and 2005 Mustang insured with them!
  • My ultimate decision to stay with Hagerty (for now) really comes down to laziness on my part and being perplexed by the other options out there.

I already had a policy with Hagerty and they have on-line account management. I looked at Heacock and Grundy but Heacock could not give me an on-line quote and Grundy wanted me to snail mail all my docs and payment (I assume Heacock also does not have on-line bill pay as I could not find anything to the contrary on their website).

I loath writing checks. In fact in 20+ years I have not had checks printed for my 'checking account'. In 2010 it's unfathomable that any nationwide company would still require a paper draft for payment of a debt. The main reason I switched from Farmers to Gieco for my daily drivers was that at the time Farmers did not take on-line payment. Every 6 months I would have to schlep to the bank and get a bank check and hand deliver it to my agent. For years he would tell me that on-line bill pay was coming next month. After 5 years I gave up and switched.

So for my '65 and '93 I did not want to have to go back to the stone age. Now if Grundy does join the 20th century and start doing on-line account setup and management I would prob switch.

Cheers
  • What kind of miles are you allowed to drive per year? I was looking at buying a restored 84 Celica GT-S last week (my first car and there it was sitting on the side of the road all done!) and got a quote on line from Hagerty and it was $150 a year to insure for $5000 (value of car). I could not find anywhere where if there were mile limitations.

I am now thinking that my 92 could be a Hargety canidate as I still pay the "pleasure" rate from Allstate. That is still close to $800 a year and it mostly sits in the garage!
  • On both my 65 Chevy and my 93 Feature I rated them at 3000 miles a year. I really don't come close to that but they were okay with those miles.