X Code in featured cars? Please help a novice

edited December 2006 in For sale/wanted
Hello Fellow Mustang Enthusiasts :D
A pretty little triple white pony has caught my eye and the dealer is claiming "Feature Car" status and feature car price. I have the vin tag written down and after Ford's standard first eight, the ninth is X...any clue or is this a bogus tag listing?

Please email: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:M1MustangParts@yahoo.com">M1MustangParts@yahoo.com</a><!-- e -->

Thanks,
JD

Comments

• Hi,
    Novice myself, Click on identification on the home page and read the info on were to find the buck tag. If it is a feature car and hasn't been wrecked and the tag removed it will have feature written on it. I don't remember at this moment what the 9th digit means. You might try the Vin Decoder on the home page. Jerry
  • If anyone has one, could they verify the X code in the VIN as the check code #? Thanks for all of the help... great site!

Happy New Year,

JD
    <!-- e --><a href="mailto:M1MustangParts@yahoo.com">M1MustangParts@yahoo.com</a><!-- e -->
    JerseyGirlRacing.com
  • The check digit is derived from all of the other digits in the VIN. Note: I did a quick Google search and turned up a decent explanation of how it works.

It can take the value of any number (0-9) or the letter X (to represent the number 10). So, apparently it's an OK value. I have full VINs of hundreds of feature cars and there are some with X's (as well as every number) for their check digits.

As Jerry mentioned, the fool-proof way is to check the buck tag . If there is no buck tag (which might be the case after an accident, etc.) you can check the door tag codes. The interior trim code should be CZ for the white interior in feature cars. See here for a little information on the difference between feature car white interiors and 'standard' white interiors as well as here for some of the visual clues.

Please update us on how it works out.