Radiator replacement?

edited April 2011 in Feature Mustangs
I was poking around on the feature today and noticed that the stock radiator has sprung a leak over the winter. I knew after I bought the car that it was headed south as there looked to be a coral farm growing in it when I flushed and filled it the first time. Well, it has been a year since then and it looks like I am headed for replacement.

Has anybody found a nice stock replacement that doesn't have the plastic end caps? It seems like all the ones I can find of the stock replacement variety (even the Ford Racing one) has the plastic end caps. I have prior history with the one on my 95 Mustang failing so I don't want to deal with seperable end caps. I like the peace of mind that comes from having the end caps brazed to the radiator.

I would hate to move away from the stock look on the feature but I don't see another choice.

Comments

• Can it be repaired? if so, completely ( REBUILD ) the ORIGINAL radiator.
  • I second the rebuild. Mine started leaking last Fall. I had the rad re-cored and it's great now.
  • Repairing the original crossed my mind. However, like I said, it looks like a lot of corrosion has build up inside of it over the years. I am sceptical that it is even repairable. I don't have much experience with radiator repair so I may be off base on that assumption.

I'll call a couple of radiator shops and see what they say.
  • You might be surprised at what a good rad shop can do. Mine was pretty corroded inside. All good now.
  • Well, the shop that I took it to said it was too far gone to repair. He said that there were multiple leaks on the core and it was pretty clogged with corrosion. According to him, the corrosion eats away at the solder joints. When I pulled it out, it appeared to have been leaking for some time.

Unfortunately, the feature got little more than moved around in a shop for six years before I bought it. That didn't help.

So, this shop can get me a new copper/brass OEM look (2-core) radiator for $300. I know that the aftermarket aluminum ones are close to $400 for a good one and that copper/brass are hard to find. Is this a good price?
  • If no rebuild was possible, I personally would go with the (Ford Racing) radiator $279.00 American Muscle.com I'm sure if you search around enough you'll find out prices are within $50.00 bucks of one another. I hope for your sake, the dreaded Heat Core is not the next to go.
  • UPDATE

I decided not to go with the $300 OEM 2-core that the radiator shop wanted to sell me.

I found this one instead: https://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemd ... =M8005A+01

It's a copper/brass 3-core direct replacement for $170.
  • I hope for your sake, the dreaded Heat Core is not the next to go.

Good point. If the radiator was that bad i would go ahead and cut the heater hoses and by-pass the core now before it leaks all over your carpet. Also, as long as you have the radiator out, go ahead and change the hoses and thermostat.