child safety seats

edited May 2011 in Feature Mustangs
Anyone have any idea how to install a child seat with a tether strap in a convertible fox. Th owners manual says that I have to install anchors in the trunk but how do I get the tether strap from the seat to the trunk without interfering with the operation of the top?

Comments

• If you have a reputable ford dealer in your area, I wonder if they could help you.
  • I understand you wanting the safest possible install for your child, but older cars usually only utilized the seat belt run through the plastic frame of the safety seat. Upon a collision or sudden change in movement, the seat belts retract, providing the tension needed to hold the seat in place.
  • Yes, there is no LATCH system in our cars but, as FlyinTiger suggests, you can get a safe install without it.

The rear seat belt in the Mustang is not good enough on its own. It does not have the proper locking mechanism. You can verify this by pulling it out and letting it retract. There is no clicking sound and no ability to prevent slack from coming back out in a non-collision scenario.

This is not good enough to get a proper seat install. You need a locking clip. When I bought my '91 new, one came with it. The car salesman joked that I wouldn't need it for a while. I didn't but it came in handy a few years ago. I think they come with new car seats as well.

Link: Locking Clips

My children are now in booster seats but these alone are also not enough in the Mustang. The rear seat has no headrests and, worse yet, has the metal seat back running along the top edge of the seat. A booster with its own back rest is a must.

A lot of this is widely accepted and, 50FAN, you probably already know this since you are exploring the safest alternative but I will go on record for anyone else reading this: don't just go on my advice here, you can get a proper car seat installation/inspection from your local police department.
  • With my (2) year old son I also use the (LOCKING CLIP) supplied with the car seat.