quarter window weatherstrip replacement

I've bought replacement weatherstrips for my quarter windows. The originals are pretty rough and one is starting to crack. Luckily these are really the only ones i need to replace.

Before i go headlong into yanking the old ones off I just wanted to check in on procedure. From what I can tell, they seem to be tacked in place with adhesive at the top of the window and the rest is just held in place via the groove in the metal molding on the window. Is this correct?

Taking the old ones off is just a matter of getting that top part unstuck and the rest will slide out? The new ones just go in with a bit of adhesive at the top again?

Thanks. Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_1787.jpg

Comments

• well that sucked. :(

there is some adhesive at the top but even after that is separated there is no way that strip is going to move. a combination of force, heat and WD40 and it wasn't going anywhere.

ended up slicing away the excess rubber with a blade and pulling it out from top to bottom sideways. i.e. grabbed it with pliers and rolled them down to bend the piece of metal in the strip that fits into the groove.

so, in the end, it came out with no damage to the metal molding piece (the metal in the groove is much thicker than the metal tongue in the strip.

the new strip slid in after coating both it and the groove with WD40. the little top bit is not as big as the original so there is a bit of a gap but i'll get some black silicon to fill that a bit.

photo.JPG

now on to the other one.

i found a few semi-answered threads around the internet regarding this and never could find a clear answer. destructive removal wasn't a great option but i think ultimately the way i did it put much less stress on the window that trying to pull it out "properly".
  • Looks pretty good. I think we all are running into the cracked strips at this time. I know mine are starting to look a little shabby!
  • i filled in those little gaps at the top with black silicone today so it looks fine now.

overall the weatherstripping is holding up well. we treated it with silicone spray regularly so the rest are in really good shape. these ones were the roughest and even this one on the driver's side was semi-ok. the other one was cracked though.

i did replace the strips around the windshield though because they'd shrunk quite a bit.

the only other bits that could use replacing are these big ones on the door jambs but i can't find them anywhere. don't think they're really user replaceable anyway unfortunately but they're cracking a bit at the top.

IMG_1790.jpg
  • The ones you spoke of above, in the door jams (LEAVE THEM ALONE).Mine have been replaced by previous owner, to make a long story short, broken TRIM piece.