when a feature car stops being a feature car.

i've posted these here since though they're feature cars, they're both well off the path of originality. i thought they might be of interest since lots of us here are generally concerned with preserving these cars to a reasonable degree. i mean no offense of course. i guess i take these things too seriously because i like the cars so much and really wonder how many survive in their original state.

it's been interesting watching ebay and seeing how little 92 features get bid up to (for generally ok looking examples, plus some really nice ones) and then seeing what people are asking in classified ads for heavily borked cars.

example 1.
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mustang ... _4063751_/

at least the inside is true though appears the seats were redone (well) but what happened on the outside? i guess it all got repainted (including wheels though not the right colour) and someone thought white rocker panels would look good. at least it's the right colour above the beltline. however, based on the ad, it appears they don't know what they have.

example 2.
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Mustang ... _4081159_/

apart from the black piping and all black dash, you wouldn't even know that's a feature car (ok, the spoiler is there) but otherwise... :(
\ rare feature car, only changed the wheels, body trim and colour. :?:

oh good, there is a pseudo-facepalm. [#-o]

Comments

• Great Question.... I too like the original ones. Just me.
  • At least the first add does not claim to be a feature.

I get a little more bugged when someone has a plain white 93 or red 92 and 'the previous owner said it was rare'. And then they try to perpetuate that myth to rip off the next dolt that's willing to buy it.

I recently saw a flat black 93 vert on craigslist that was advertised as a rare special edition. It looked like a POS. I emailed the guy to find out just what makes his car rare. Never got a response. Yea, he knows he's pulling a fast one.
  • the funny thing of course is there are likely fewer of any given combination of standard exterior/interior colours than of the special editions. which i try not to think about.

oh well. since i plan on continuing to use mine as a sunny weekend car i fully know i'll have to repaint the car and recover the seats somewhere down the line. i intend to match as close as possible. and of course, thanks to kids with knives and trucks with rocks i'm already non-original since my top has been replaced (with the right fabric and headliner) and my windshield is new.

on a related note, there are more 92s on ebay right now that i've ever seen before at one time.

this is the nicest one i've ever seen. makes me annoyed about all the little cuts and bruises my paint has from being a daily summer car for the first 6 years.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 069wt_1141
  • The second car, when I looked at the rear picture and saw the rear tail lights, I threw up in my mouth a little :-(
  • You think I could make MINE "RARE" if I painted it PURPLE and used 2010 Focus wheels ? :(