Added iPod/iPhone adapter + an idea

I installed an FM modulated iPhone adapter the other day. I snaked the cable out through the ashtray cubby (my CD changer controller is in there too). It worked out really well and i'm lucky that i was able to retain operation of both the CD changer. my two favourite radio stations are now 87.9 and 88.7. :D

Anyway, looking at how perfectly my phone fits into the ashtray space got me thinking. My folks' BMW has an iPhone connection in its centre console. A short little cable and a perfect place for the phone hidden in the console. In their case the phone doesn't need to be accessed because everything is controlled via the iDrive screen and the bluetooth connection.

With mine obviously I still need to access the phone to control the music (I have a little bluetooth handsfree for calls magnetically stuck to the headshield header). I'm going to try to design a gizmo that takes the place of the ashtray door with a connector for an iDevice and holds the phone (with room for a reasonable case) in that little spot. It's the perfect place.

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

photo%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

Comments

• Thanks for sharing. What FM modulator did you use? I did something similar. I like your idea of the cable coming through the ashtray better, though. Mine comes out from behind the dashboard in the drivers foot well area.
  • This is the one I used.

[url=HTTP://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/geek-squad-universal-play-charge-solution-for-ipod-car-install-kit-gsc70a-in-store-only/10131667.aspx]HTTP://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/gee ... 31667.aspx[/url]

The disadvantage of mine being that it's apple specific but the advantage being it charges. I just tapped into the same power point as the cd changer since my wiring was already altered for that. The power switch is in the glove compartment in place of the trunk release which was disconnected anyway because the relay for that Is tied to my alarm fob instead.

If apple ever goes away from this type of connector I have an iPod classic that hopefully will last for a long time.
  • My household is iPod/iPhone so I know what you are saying. My solution doesn't charge so, on longer trips, I bring along my older iPod Touch so as not to drain the battery on the iPhone. Hopefully they don't change the connector anytime soon but an adapter might be possible. We still use something that lets our newer iPhones with an older speaker dock from before the charging changes they made a few years ago.
  • as my friend and i joke, "apple" is an ancient sanskrit word meaning "adapter".