White pony wheels and caps $200

edited September 2011 in For sale/wanted
A guy in my club picked up two Fox bodies to part out and now has a set of white wheels from a 91 for $200 if someone is interested.

Comments

• 91? or 92?

If he's parting out a red 92 I'm looking for a non-cracked drivers side corner rear belt molding (the one the boot tabs fit under).
  • He said it was a 91. I've often wondered if there were any white wheels officially from the factory before 92 and if so what color were they?

I guess a lot of people did not like the white wheels and they got traded around some. In any case, I have not seen the wheels he has. I am thinking of buying them and reselling the caps (I've got 8 spares already).
  • it seems one can find white wheels all day long but i can't find the 92 pearlescent stuff anywhere. i'd like to have some spares as well but 92 and 93 were different of course.

i've seen lots of 92s where people have refinished the wheels in pure white and the caps then don't match.

one of my wheels has a slight rash on the outer rim so i'd like to have a replacement for it some day. but all mine will need refinishing somewhere down the line anyway.
  • I know what you mean. I think the wheels are so common because after all they can be re-created by any competent paint shop. The center caps not so much. A guy I know locally had his powder coated for $60 each. They came out so good I think I'll have my extra wheels done too.

I've only seen a red feature up close once and it did have the pearl wheels but the caps still did not match well. It has made me wonder if the 92 caps were or were not prepped the same way as the wheels.

I think wheel hording has become an obsession for me. I have 8 spare caps and three spare wheels and if I buy the 4 for sale locally that makes 12 and 7. I do think I'll buy another Fox someday so hopefully I'll have enough spares for a full set and still have backupls left for both cars.
  • the caps on the 92s are slightly different than the wheels themselves. they aren't painted the same way. the colour is the same but the caps are more metallic then pearlescent.
  • Thanks. I might drop him a line but unfortunately the shipping to Canada would be horrendous even if he wanted to ship.
  • I have found that the wheels are dated like most Ford parts. Make sure you check the date stampings in the flat surfaces between the lug nut holes on the outside of the wheels. The wheels on my 1992 Feature convertible are dated about a week before the car was built. I found a spare set of 1992 white Ponys dated a few weeks after the date my car was built. I have a brand new spare in a Ford box that has a late 90s date stamp on it.

As for the center caps, if the 1992 white wheel center caps originally had a F2ZZ part number then brand new they are different than the 1993 center caps because the part number on the 1993 center caps is F3ZZ. Anytime Ford changes a part they update the part number. Have you ever looked for a headlight switch for your 1992 or 1993 Mustang or GT? They STILL carry a E7ZZ (E=1980s decade production year, 7= 7th year of the 80s, Z=Mustang part, Z=Mustang ONLY) part number. Ford never changed the part from 1987 through 1993 so it still carries the original 1987 part number.