Top problem

edited December 2011 in Feature Mustangs
Ok, I'm new to convertibles having just purchased my 92 feature a little over a week ago. I had it shipped to me, which of course had the top up for transportation. Well, I was showing my father in law the car and decided then to drop the top. The top went down perfect. But when I got ready to put it back up, it did nothing. It will do absolutely nothing now. I've gone both ways on the top switch and all I get is a "click" sound coming from the rear going either way. So, what do I have to do to get my top up? What am I missing? Why would the top go down so smooth and flawlessly and then do nothing when I try to put it up?? Help me please!

Comments

• the top motor has failed. Commons problem! You can put the top back up manually.
  • So even though the top went down perfect, as soon as I try putting it back up 2 minutes later, the motor has already played out? Where is the motor located? How hard is it to replace and how much will it end up costing? Anything else I should replace while I'm replacing the motor?
  • There are TWO relays in the trunk right next to the top motor. ONE is the UP relay and the other is the down relay. Check the switch on the dash to see if when you attempt to set the top lower the top tries moving downward. If it does swap the relays and see if the top goes up but clicks when you try to put it down. If you have the trunk surround panels in the trunk you will not be able to see the top motor or relays until you remove the center section to expose the underside of the top well liner. If you see the fabric liner lift it up and the motor and relays are right there.

The relays unplug as follows.... ....PRESS FIRMLY on the two tabs that look like you should lift up on them to unplug the relay. Lifting upon them to unplug the relays will break the tabs when the relays are unplugged. The relays should unplug when you press the tabs in real tight and pullon the relays. WARNING, be careful you don't slip and strike your hands against the sharp metal edges of the body parts and top motor when you are trying to unplug the relays.
  • Swapping the relays will make the "no up" problem become a "no down" problem if the one relay is bad.
  • Thanks for the information. Right now it just "clicks" whenever I try to put it up or down. So I will try what you suggested. I'll update whenever I get it figured out. Probably after the Christmas holiday.
  • If it clicks in both directions it may not be the relays. There is a circuit breaker on the starter solenoid that, if I am right, is the power feed for the convertible top motor too. Check to be sure there is 12VDC on both sides of the circuit breaker.

The way a relay works (as in the top relays in the trunk) the relay closes to allow the power that feeds the motor to run to the motor. If the circuit breaker checks out okay then the rubberish black plug with the red and the yellow wires in it, when unplugged from the top motor, should read 12 volts DC on one wire when the switch is depressed for down and then 12 volts DC on the other wire when the switch is pulled for up.

I believe there is also a convertible top main power relay under the dash somewhere too.

Only after checking everything other than the top motor would I invest in a replacement.

Also, my 1992 LE convertible had electrical problems when I bought it and it wound up being a seperating column ignition electrical switch on the underside of the steering column. This was so prevalent back some years ago that Ford recalled Mustangs for this FREE repair. My car has the open recall on it but I replaced the switch with a good one out of a 1993 Mustang before I found out about the recall so I never took it in for the repair.
  • Well I finally got the top up on the car. I took out the back seat and accessed the top motor and the relays. I turned on the key and tried the top but nothing but "clicking" from the relay on the driver side. So I tapped the relay a couple of times with the ratchet I used to get out the rear seat. Tried again and presto!! So I went up and down a few times and all seemed good. But the last time I put it down, it did it again. So I tapped the relay once more and up goes the top. So, is it a connection problem that I need to unplug and clean the connections or do I just need to replace the relay??
  • Good troubleshooting! I would think it MIGHT be the relays or the top switch. Since you hear the clicking noise I would guess the connection path the relays close in on are bad inside of the relays. Followmy instructions for unplugging the relays and unplug both of them and plug them back in. If the car you bought sat with a bad back window for a while the relays and wiring may have sat exposed to the weather for some time and the connections may just be corroded or oidized real bad from the elements.

If that doesn't work then call Napa, or another good auto parts store to see if they carry the top relay (they are both the same). Buy one and unplug one of the two and try the top. If you have someone that can help you push or pull the top switch while you hold each relay you can figure out which is the up and which is the down relay and mark the connectors on the wiring harness so you can keep track of which is which. I am going to guess that each relay shouldn't be more than $15.00 to $20.00 from Napa.

If you want to, just invest in two, replace both, and try the top.

Here is a bit of information that you will need, if the parts store says no about the top relays. Tell them it is the same relay as the EEC (electronic computer control) relay. Ford has discontinued them (as one of the guys here at Ford of Ocala just told me).
  • Thanks. I appreciate the information everybody has given me so far.

I believe replacing the relays as you suggested is the best way to go. I don't want to have to take the seat out all the time to tap on the relay to put the top up. I'm glad it's the relay instead of the top motor. I'm also going to replace the oil in the top motor. Do you know how much it takes to change out? It's the original factory motor.
  • I would leave the oil in the motor as it is. Unless the motor is low I wouldn't worry about it. If you see a sign of leakage that would concern me and make me think the motor could be low on fluid.

BE CAREFUL handling and moving the plastic lines around though. If you bend them at too tight a radius they can snap in half. Then you will need to fill the motor after you replace the broken lines.

Sometimes its better to leave something that isn't broken or having a problem alone. It isn't like a car motor, needing regular oil changes.

I have owned a lot of convertibles in my time and have never once changed or had to add oil to a top motor.

I would hate to see you burn the motor out trying to make it better. I have heard that the motor takes tranny fluid but I would check with Ford or a factory shop manual to be sure. I have heard the top motor tranny fluid is colorless though.
  • There is a sticker on the motor that says what type of oil to put in it. I just can't remember right now. It just seems to be a little jerky like it needs just a little added to it. How hard is it to check the cylinders that raise/lower the top? I would like to see if they could be leaking. Have you had any problems out of the cylinders?
  • You may be able to look down into the rear quarter panels behind where the main supports for the convertible to pivot on their hinges and see the cylinders. I haven't ever (so far) had problems with top cylinders in any of my convertibles. Others may be able to add some information on this subject.
  • Since I took the rear seat out to access the relays and top motor, I'm going to clean underneath the bottom cushion area and take the quarter trim panels off to clean behind them too. I'll check the cylinders for leaks then. So far I've found candy wrappers, a mcdonald's coffee stir stick, an air head candy still in the wrapper, a hair scrunchy, something sticky, leaves, money($0.07), and other little things. This car needs some cleaning. But shouldn't take too long. I hope.