Newbie in Delaware

Hello everyone, I picked up my '93 TWF a couple months ago and couldn't be happier. I was really glad to find this site to be able to share information and be in the company of other mustang fanatics!

The new ride is an all original '93 white feature car with 47K original miles. All original down to the serpentine belt, plugs and wires. Except for a lock actuator that needs to be replaced everything works and it runs and looks great. It has a factory 10 disc CD changer and factory alarm and power seat, I forgot about these options until I saw it. Does anyone know if these options are rare or fairly common?

Great site!

Comments

• Welcome. Glad you found your car and the site.

Of the 250 cars registered here about half have the power seat.

http://triplewhitefox.com/mustang/1993- ... statistics

Out of curiosity does your car have the 5 or 6 digit (not counting 1/10) odometer? That appears to be pretty rare and I think was just for certain destinations where the state required it.

If I were you I would change out the belt for driving but KEEP IT for later. If you are not interested in showing your car I would love to have that belt and would buy it from you. Also 20 years on the plugs is a lot even w/ low miles. I would change them with Motorcraft equivalent.

I don't think the alarm was available as a factory option. Sounds like your car got a spiffy dealer treatment w/ the EQ, CD changer and alarm. If you can find the original dealer they may be able to provide you with copies of the paper work.
  • Thanks. The car has the 5 digit odometer.

I already gave it a full tune-up but kept the parts I took off. I figured the ignition wires and belt would be rare considering they are original but I new the car would run better with new parts. And, yes, all new Motorcraft parts went back on (is there any other way?) :)

The car doesn't have the EQ on it, just the CD changer in the trunk. I think the EQ was only an option on the '92s but not sure.

I do have the dealer name so maybe I'll try to dig up some more documentation if they have it, that's a good idea. I have the window sticker, manuals, sales literature and magazine articles. Thankfully the original owner kept everything and kept in in good shape.
  • When I checked with the local Ford dealer in Ocala Florida about rumors I heard about a factory alarm system they told me they were now obsolete. They didn't mention dealer installed and gave me the last part number known to be good for the alarm system (or anti-theft system). They also told me that part number (from 1993) had been superceeded by a newer Ford part number that WASN'T a Mustang part number when it was completely made obsolete. I do not know where I put that part number though. I just stopped looking.

How does the alarm system work, if activated does it flash the lights and blow the horn on the car? I know after-market add-on systems do this now too, but factory anti-theft systems have been around for many many years. My 1986 Mark VII years ago had a factory anti-theft system in it. Here is a test for the alarm. I know my Mark VII surprised me one morning when I accidentally found how its anti-theft system worked. With the driver's window open lock the doors of the car and close them without using a remote. Give it a minute or so to automatically arm itself (if the Mustang systems work the way the Mark VII did) Reach in and open the locked driver's door from the inside door handle. Does the horn blow and do the lights flash? If so, put the key in the driver's door and unlock the door. Does the anti-theft system disarm itself?

Mustang anti-theft systems may be different than the older Mark VII and the newer Ford anti-theft systems. Since I have never seen one or been able to cannibalize a Mustang with one in it I don't know.
  • I have the owners manual for the security system and it refers to it as the Vehicle Security System 600 PLUS (it is a Ford manual printed 8/92). There is a remote transmitter for the keychain with an 'A' button and a 'D' button. The 'A' button arm the system and the siren will give a single "chirp" to indicate it is arming and a second "chirp" when fully armed. There is also a small, red valet status light on he steering column that blinks when armed. The 'D' button will unlock the doors and can open the trunk as well as disarm the system. When the system is triggered to disarm the interior lights will turn on for 1 minute or until the key is put in the ignition.

The parking lights will flash and the siren will go off when the alarm is set off. A light impact to the car will result in short siren alert. Several quick impacts or one hard one will also set off the alarm.

I will try your suggestion when the kids are not in bed and let you know what happens :lol: