Fix for foggy headlight covers?

edited March 2007 in Feature Mustangs
Does anyone know of a way to clean the headlight covers so that they are somewhat clear again? I really don't have the money to spend $160 just for new headlight covers so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• I remember seeing a how-to that someone posted on stangnet.com or corral.net a little while ago that described how they restored their lights. I remember that they described doing some wet sanding and polishing. It was a great write up with pictures and everything. I just searched stangnet but could not find it. Although, when I searched for "Headlight" and "Yellow" the results came back with some promising hits that described some good approaches and the results that people had achieved with them.

John
  • I've never used this kit, but it might be a less expensive way to clear your headlights. Here's the link...

Headlight Refinisher

I had the same problem with my car, but decided to replace the headlights. I got a complete set, turnsignal, headlight, and sidemarker, off Ebay for just over $100.00.

It made a dramatic difference in both the appearance of the car and the ability to see at night.

Good luck...

Sue
  • I've never used this kit, but it might be a less expensive way to clear your headlights. Here's the link...

Headlight Refinisher

I had the same problem with my car, but decided to replace the headlights. I got a complete set, turnsignal, headlight, and sidemarker, off Ebay for just over $100.00.

It made a dramatic difference in both the appearance of the car and the ability to see at night.

Good luck...

Sue

Ah I never thought about searching ebay. Also, thanks for the link. I'll have to get that when I get the extra cash
  • "Scratch Out" at walmart auto section in a yellow bottle, less than 2 bucks. Used for removing fine scratches from plexigalss, works great on yellowed head lights and dashboard gauge plastic. Just needs elbow grease. I apply it twice and then "seal" the plastic surface it with a carnuba wax with no cleaners/abrasives. Best bang for the buck
  • I was just reading a do-it-yourself magazine and in the automotive section they had an article on headlight refinishing. Pretty timely. They referenced a product called Headlight Lens Restoration Kit from Permatex (877-376-3839) that costs about $13. Although, I just checked their web site and couldn't find a mention of it. Maybe its new as the magazine just came out.
  • I use "Color Back" finish restorer-made by turtle wax. Cleans them right up-I usually apply it by hand several times. I then finish them off with a couple of coats of Carnuba wax, just to seal them up. Has worked great for me and last a good long time on a garage stored car.
  • There is a product called plexiclear.

www.plexiclear.com
  • My favorite, Meguiars PlastX.

Really depends on how bad they are fogged as to what you need to do or use.

Are they foggy or are they yellowed?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jburnsfamilyfun/