Refreshing interior

edited April 2012 in Feature Mustangs
I am about to order some new interior along with just ordering the new top. My question is do I take off the rear panels and refresh them with white vinyl paint for the 93 TWF? I guess that is the only way to get the interior fresh again where it has started to yellow.

Does anyone know if all the panels in the back were the same shade new? Or was the speaker grill a different shade then the rest? Any pics of the backseat would be great. Thx

Comments

• Anyone???

I am looking to try and find correct info on th erear interior. If the rear speaker grilsl and seat belt caps are a different shade than the rest of the rear interior? I have tried to find pictures but everything I find has it different shades? Any help on this will be appreciated maybe someone with a low mile will speak up or a 1 owner can remember if it has been like this from day1. Thx
  • There have been reports that early production cars had white parts that started to yellow before they even left the factory.

What I've heard from others is that trying to re-fresh those parts tends to make them stand out even more. Mine are starting to turn a little but I'm holding out hope that someone will start reproducing these parts.
  • There have been reports that early production cars had white parts that started to yellow before they even left the factory
    I've heard the same thing about the yellowed parts even at the factory.
  • So I guess re-dying them isn't a good idea? I just wanted to know if they was a different shade for the speaker grills? Every picture I have seen it seems that way?
  • Here is an example of what I am referring about. Is normal what a rear interior should look like? Check out the slight difference in the speaker grill and the seat belt end caps. It may just be a different grade of plastic but it is definitely a different shade like it is in my car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 500wt_1182
  • I have repainted a number of pieces in my interior. The rear speaker grills were done after I first bought the car, when it was nine years old. They hadn't yellowed, but were scratched up rather badly. I took my boot cover to a local auto supply shop and looked for a match in the plastic paint rattle-can rack. I found one that was very close and used it on the grills, after using cleaning them well and using a plastic prep spray. It worked very well and no one can tell that they have been painted.
  • I purchased my car in 95 and it has been garaged and covered most of its life and the armrests, rear seatbelt inserts and speaker grilles matched pretty close to everything else but not perfect now they have definitely turned slightly yellow
  • My car looks like the link I had posted. A slight difference and I think that's how they came out after talking with a few people. More than likely it is dew to the types of plastic on the grills and caps.