Rear view mirror interior lights

Has anyone replaced the interior lights in the rear view mirror? How did you get it apart? Did you put brighter(LED?)lights in?

Comments

• Place a small screwdriver into the slot in the black plastic housing between the edge of the map light reflector/light assembly and mirror housing and gently pry toward the center of the mirror with the tip of the blade (the end of the screwdriver that is furthest into the slot referred to earlier). The lamp assembly will start to come out onan angle or drop out of the mirror assembly. Carefully maneuver the lamp housing out of the mirror assembly and when you have the three wires exposed look for the retainer tab holding the socket into the reflector/light assembly and place your fingernail behind the retaining tab that holds the three-wire plug into the light housing. As the assembly with the wires seperates from the reflector housing the bulb comes out with the plug with the wires on it.

I don't believe you can get the bulb out easily if you try doing it from the lens end of the reflector/light assembly while in the mirror. You can try but if you break the lens over the bulb trying you will have to find a replacement lens.

For anybody missing rearview mirror lenses they can EASILY can be found on similar rearview mirrors in Bowtie S10 pickups and SUVs. The switches on the Bowtie mirrors are different though, as are the mirrors, but being made by the same company the lenses are the same. Doing a "stare and compare" it also looks like the reflectors are the same and the light housings with the switches removed are the same too so if your rearview mirror has melted light housings from over-sized interior lamps being installed in them there is a cheap source for replacement housings.
  • Thanks for explanation. Hopefully everything will come out ok.
  • If you go to reinstall original size incandescent lamps in your rearview mirror the size bulbs that came out of both the Mustang and the Bowtie mirror are size or number 192. I am not sure if they are a special length or width to fit in the hole in the bottom of the mirror reflector housing or not but I can't remember using 192 lamps anywhere else in the past before.