edited July 2012 in Member introductions
Greetings fellow foxes!

I'm a newish 92 vib/red feature owner. The car was purchased in Febuary and has since been a project. I've been dealing with PO problems and 20 year old car problems.

The car, unfortunately, has been wrecked at some point in it's life as it has new Ford metal on the front end along with being a little bent in the frame. It is in sore need of a new top, upholstery and a new dash. (Damn PO cut a hole in the damn thing and covered it up with a "Limited Edition" tag from somewhere else.

It is a 5 speed and has about 175k on the clock. The heads and intake have been replaced with Trick Flow units at some point in it's life and, other than the normal squeaks, rattles and seeping main seals, the car runs fine.

Ferry.jpg

Comments

• Welcome. Nice looking '92.

There is a guy here in Florida that bought his (wife's) 1990 7-Up brand new and the dealer he bought it from had Limited Edition logos (tape style) installed on the car above the 5.0 emblems but they are a little different than the one I see on your car. Some dealers dolled their cars up to sell from what I have understood, and with the guy here locally owning one I know it isn't rumor.
  • Hm. Interesting.

And it isn't as nice as it looks. That's it's good side!

The passenger door has a wrinkle in it from someone bumping it. Nothing bad, just a litte ugly.

After the top gets replaced, I'll see about taking care of the bodywork that needs doing.
  • Welcome to the site!!

Nice lookin '92! Its a crime that some cars are neglected but I'm sure it's in good hands now and will be taken care of. My car has a similar history as well. Front end collision and replacement panels along with needing upholstery. It's just something to keep us busy. You will find alot of good information on here. If you are looking for something in particular, just browse through the archives. You will probably find something.

Welcome again!!
  • Where was your picture taken? Looks similar to a place back home on the mississippi river for me.
  • Where was your picture taken? Looks similar to a place back home on the mississippi river for me.

It was taken at the Brussels ferry on the Illinois River just north of Grafton, IL. (A stone's throw from where it joins with the Mississippi.)

The site has been helpful. The car is modded and I don't plan on undoing anything under the hood. What further mods are done will all be underneath and not visible unless you crawl under or open the hood. (Ok... the cueball shift knob will stay, too)

I did spend a good part of Saturday doing some work on it. I replaced the instrument binnacle (original had holes from a Ricer tach and crap alarm system in it), polished up the instrument lens and scrubbed the ever-loving hell out of the interior with a container of Armorall wipes. She cleaned up rather well. I'll have to get a photo of the interior.
  • You are a little upstream than me. I'm in Kentucky next to the Mississippi river. Just south of Paducah. I've spent quite a few times at Gateway at the numerous World Ford Challenges they use to have there a few years ago.

Sounds like you have a good start at gettin it back to where she use to be. I've been doing the same. Just takes a little patience.

So are there any more locals in your area with feature cars? I think you are the closest one that I've run into here on TWF.

Keep up the good work.
  • I work at Scott AFB and I've seen another 92 like mine on base. I haven't seen who drives it, though.

I'm hoping there's a swap meet at the Fun Ford Weekend in August. I would love to find a new dash there.
  • Hot diggity!

I got my Marti Report today.

Nothing unexpected but... now I have to find one of the stereos that was slaved with the graphic EQ. FML.
  • I got a Marti report back in December for my car. Very detailed and on very nice presentable paper that you can have framed for that nice touch at shows.

Your car sounds very similar to mine as mine has the casette with graphic equalizer and a 5 speed. Does yours have factory a/c?
  • Yep! A buddy of mine with an 89 coupe showed me his Marti report, resulting in me ordering up mine.

Marti-Report.jpg
  • Yeah mine looks the same. You have a few options I don't though. What's interesting is your car is originally from NY and so is mine.

So what are your plans for your car?

I'm thinking about trying to make it to Gateway for the Fun Ford event in August too.
  • My plans are to have a restomod car that's fun to drive without altering the outward appearance of it too much.

Since the top half of the engine has been replaced with Trick Flow stuff, I don't really plan on putting it back into stock trim. I've been slowly going through the suspension and replacing what's needed replacing, (almost all of it) and am currently waffling on deciding between Maximum Motorsports' starter box or coilover kit. I'd like to do a track day or two with the car at some point, too. There may also be a 5-lug swap in the car's somewhat distant future, too. If/when that happens, the 97/98 GT wheels would end up powdercoated pearl white, just to keep the theme of the car intact.

The interior will be rehabbed at some point but I understand there's a lack of proper repro upholstery so I've been focusing on the plastic bits. The dash itself needs to be replaced, (damn kid cut a hole in it) and the console lid needs to be replaced since it is just worn out and is starting to fall apart.

I'm also on the hunt for the hard-to-find tape deck/graphic eq radio. I don't recall my 93 having poor audio quality and I don't need a CD player since I'm sure I can fab up a way to either have a line-in for an iPod or just get a FM transmitter for it.

Perhaps there'll be a swap meet at the FFW and I can find a dash and radio. Haha.
  • Oh Maximum Motorsports... how you tempt me.

$1500 later... New suspension is enroute! Goodbye 20 year old crap!
  • What all are you replacing/adding?
  • I'm replacing the springs, shocks/struts, and a few bushings that I haven't gotten to yet. I'm also putting their panhard bar and caster/camber plates in.

I figure if I've got to rip it all apart to replace 20 year old things I might as well do it right. Bilstien for the shocks/struts, H&R for the springs and Prothane for bushings. I'll probably also replace the balljoints, too.
  • I'm wanting to lower my car too. Post some before and after pics from the side if you can and dont mind. I'm really interested in how it will look.
  • Will do!
  • The BBT, in conjunction with the CarParts Fairy, showed up at my apartment yesterday.

2012-06-25_18-36-11_760.jpg

I can has new suspension.
  • I was just wondering if you had started working on your car. Looks like you've got lots of work to do. What are you going to try to do first?
  • I'll be attacking the car today. The base's hobby shop doesn't open till noon, so I hope I can get it all done in one day. (Minus the TA).
  • Buh. Two days into this project and I'm finally at the point of not taking anything else off of the car. Both front springs were rusted into the a-arms. I had to cut one with a cutoff wheel (after using the spring compressor) to get it out. I then spent about an hour at the blast cabinet to get rid of said rust.

At least I can start putting things back together tomorrow.
  • That's all thanks to northern weather. It wreaks havoc on any car. Hope it all goes together easier than it came apart.
  • THREE (3) DAYS.

The suspension is in, sans PHB. The car sits a little lower now and the 1/4 mile I drove it to park it in the lot at work (appointment for aligning is Tuesday) it felt different. We'll see how it handles on the road.

Fuck crappy spring compressors.

ETA: Filthy but lowered car. The alignment shop is in the background. It'll sit there 'till Tuesday.

2012-06-30_17-14-35_693.jpg

And the before: 2012-06-02_11-20-27_249.jpg
  • Hey I like it!! Looks much better. What spring and caster camber plates did you use? Did you put in offset rack bushings and a bumpsteer kit?

Looks fantastic!!

THREE (3) DAYS.

The suspension is in, sans PHB. The car sits a little lower now and the 1/4 mile I drove it to park it in the lot at work (appointment for aligning is Tuesday) it felt different. We'll see how it handles on the road.

Fuck crappy spring compressors.

ETA: Filthy but lowered car. The alignment shop is in the background. It'll sit there 'till Tuesday.

2012-06-30_17-14-35_693.jpg

And the before: 2012-06-02_11-20-27_249.jpg
  • I went with H&R Sport springs. They're a little bit stiffer than stock and lower just about an inch. I didn't want to go any lower and, because of that, I won't need bumpsteer stuff or offset rack bushings.

Dampers are Bilstein and the other hardware is Maximum Motorsports.
  • Ok. I picked up the money pit car from the shop before lunch and went for a little test drive.

Pros: Steering response is quicker and more precise. I chalk this up to the new control arm and steering rack bushings along with the alignment. Bumps are a bit more noticable but not as harsh as they used to be. I suspect the H&R Sport springs and Bilstein dampers have taken care of that.

Cons: There's more road noise that I'm certain the caster/camber plates are responsible for.

Overall, I'm happy with the changes if, for nothing else, to get rid of the 175,000 mile-old original suspension components. Instructions were easy to follow and there was no fitting required to make anything work.
  • Awesome! Can't wait to do the same thing to my car. So what are your next upgrades? Still looking for a dash? I'm looking for a complete gauge cluster for mine. I was on eBay and noticed one from around your parts. Think it was in Alton if I remember correctly. Are you still planning on attending the Fun Ford event in August?
  • Car looks great!!!
  • Next is getting the top replaced (the rear window is failing) and see about getting the faded paint buffed out.
  • And yes, I'm planning on hitting up the Fun Ford Weekend. I just hope it won't be 106 like it is right now. Ugh.