Feature Cars at the 2012 Grand National

edited September 2012 in Feature Events
Feature cars are very well represented at the Grand National this year:

3 7-up cars
3 92 cars
1 Yellow Black
1 Triple White

Question: Has anyone seen a low mile all original 92 or 93 that has the red rubber positive battery terminal cover? I've seen those on low mile Cobras but never on a feature car. One of my judges has a 92 and he says that all cars came with that cover on the positive terminal. I'm not sure that's correct.

There was a 92 near my car that only had 6500 miles. It was the often heard about little old lady car that the new owner just happend to luck into. He nor the original owner did not even know it was special. Other than an aftermarket AC compressor it was bone stock down to the Ford demonstration casset tape.

Comments

• I have never seen a cover on pos. terminal but I'm no expert. I can tell you I purchased my 92 in 95 with 7900 mi. and still had the original battery and no cover.
  • Interesting turn of events, I went back by the same car later to talk to the judge and the pos terminal boot was gone.
  • It is possible someone tore it off thinking it shouldn't have been there. That would have been a shame if it was indeed original.

The way I have heard it is Ford would put on cars what was available at time of assembly. If Billy-Bob's battery cable company, Johnny James' battery cable company and Janie Sue's battery cable company were making cables for Ford back then and one shipment had covers and another didn't what was in the pile at time of assembly goes on the car. When I have bought brand new battery cables for my cars they have come with Thunderbird part numbers on them. I don't recall if that is both or one one or the other.

My late late late production 1966 Mustang (mid July of 1966) had 1967 valve covers on the 289-2V engine. The second owner that I bought the car from said the car was bought with 41,000 original miles from the original owner that way. As I frequented shows I noticed that other 1966 Mustangs with 700,000 and higher consecutive unit build numbers also had 1967 valve covers on them. I spoke to one OLD man at a show and he confirmed he bought his 1966 Mustang brand new and had never altered the engine in any way. I then came to the conclusion that Ford was gearing up for 1967 vehicle production and because the engines were assembled with 1967 valve covers they were put in the last of the 1966 Mustangs too.

I remember a time a friend of mine bought a 1969 Rally Sport Camaro and it had the little turn signal/high beam indicators on the fenders like Dodges had back then and it had the brake light/tail light indicators above the center of the back window. After he had the car a while he ripped it all out of the car talking a few choice words about someone jury-rigging this stuff into his car. Funny thing, years and years later I came to find out that there happened to be a RARE option in old Camaros, a fiber-optic light indicator system. He was surprised when I told him what he ripped out of the car was probably original. It was too late, he threw it all away when he ripped it out of the car.
  • Never saw one at the 3 Nationals I've attended. Ther were 8 last spring in Pensacola, 5 unrestored, 2 Concours driven and 1 daily driven, none had a pos. boot cover. My 94 GT had covers,, but Foxes did not.
    2012PENSACOLA060.jpg
  • Bil--l how did your judging go? I know you've been working hard to prepare.
  • A national show is very humbling. I thought my car was pretty special until I saw some of the other cars in attendance.

In any case I did get a Gold.
  • I was at the show with my '92 Feature Car. Yes, there were some very nice cars there. Make sure you request your judging sheet from MCA via e-mail. I was in Unrestored and also received a Gold Award. I drove home to Houston on Monday to get into some cooler weather.
    See you in Beaumont next spring.
  • Do you still have the original battery? I show my '92 in MCA Unrestored class and loose 6 points at every show for not having an original battery. Have been looking for a BX58C battery for 2 years and have had zero luck finding one. I can't even find a picture.
  • Looking over my pics I see that it was not the judges 92 car that had the pos bat cable boot. It was on a YB 93 in unrestored. I still think it's an extraneous bit.

According to my owners manual the correct battery is a BX58C. I do not have one. I have a current BXT58C.

Here are some pics of a BX58c circa 1994
    http://www.supermotors.net/registry/12248/33660-2
  • Thanks for the pics. What class did you show in?
  • Concourse driven. I am waiting for my sheet form the MCA.
  • A national show is very humbling. I thought my car was pretty special until I saw some of the other cars in attendance.

In any case I did get a Gold.
    Awesome. Congratulations!
  • Congrats! Nice photos on facebook! That SVO interior looked real nice.