Convertible latch\J-hook assembly question

From my email comes a question for which I thought I would pass along to see is anyone has any insight.
The driver's side convertible roof latch on my wife's 92 LX 5.0 summer edition has lost the bolt which connects the latch handle itself to the J hook assembly. It looks like I can replace it without much trouble, but I need to know what type of bolt it is. From looking at the other side it appears to be a short stubby bolt which does not pass entirely through the J hook assembly, leaving room for parts to slide past each other. Is this a simple bolt or one which requires a retainer of some sort? Thanks again for any info! I've spent the morning looking for parts diagrams regarding this without much luck.
I've been through those diagrams looking to solve a top problem of my own so I know the frustration. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• It MAY be a "shoulder bolt". There would be the head on the bolt, then it has a larger shoulder (smooth surface for pivoting parts) after the head then the threads which hold it in place.

The Ford guys here are pretty good about looking things up for me when I ask. Try calling your local Ford dealer and speak the the guys (maybe gals) in parts and tell them what you are looking for. They MAY be able to identify the bolt, get a part number for you and then you can check with Green Sales or another obsolete Ford parts place to see if you can find a brand new, old stock bolt.

Be sure the original bolt didn't break off in the header assembly and fell out when you dropped the top. I am not sure if this can happen, but check.