The Feature Convertibles are Popping Up All Over Craigslist

edited February 2013 in For sale/wanted
I have been thinking about picking up a YW sometime in the future so I started one of my national searches again. I found 5 YBs, 1 auto and 4 5 Spd cars that range in price from $3,500.00 (Charlotte Craigslist,and Atlanta Craigslist) to $6,000.00 (Milwaukee Craigslist)(so far) and only one YW for $6,500.00. There was a YB here around Orlando Florida on Craigslist for around $13,000.00 recently, but that's too much for me, and it was a YB 5 Speed anyway. It is getting late so I will start an earlier search tomorrow. I am still looking for that "can't pass up for the price" purchase on a YW though, similar to the buy I made on my YB from Colorado a few years ago. and it could need some work, just not a basket case rust bucket.

Comments

• I really wish I had the cash when that one in CO was up for sale. Still can't believe he had it as long has he did! That sure was a great deal!

I almost purchased a YB5spd a few months ago, but the guy wasn't going to budge on price. Still looking for one... like you... for one heck of a deal!
  • The two I saw for $3,500.00 (listed above) were similarly priced as the one that I got in Colorado. The car from Colorado was $3,250.00, if you remember. The one near Atlanta has a white front bumper cover on it, but the guy told me he still has the yellow one too. The Salvage Title parts car that I bought in Brandon Florida was dirt cheap. I bet I'd never find a YW for that low low price.

I taught myself how to search the internet for things that I want and find a lot of stuff from convertible top boots to wheels and center caps to cars. I found an SSP Coupe rolling chassis two weeks ago (a version of a factory red color) but I don't think I am ready to put a drivetrain in a car just to have an SSP. Another big thing now is to find AM/FM CD stereos for my cars too. The ones on e-Bay can go crazy in price. I have recently got a couple for around $35.00, and under. I am going to put them in each of my cars, even though the '92 and the '90 didn't come factory with them.
  • Ya, that one in CO started out at $3500 and went up to $4XXX, down to $3750, then to $3250. I figured I could pick it up for in the $2XXX's. It was for sale for several months.

Please tell me you haven't parted out that yellow one yet! As I told you before, putting that back on the road legally would cost me next to nothing. If you want a parts car, I'll trade you straight up for an '89 GT convertible!

I actually started searching for these things with an app on my phone. It ate up so much of the phone that I now I'm back to doing it on the computer.

That yellow one in GA is tempting me... lol.

I don't have any with a CD player in my stash of radios. Sorry I can't help you there!
  • There are a few 92's for sale here in NJ. Odd how there are a few active sales on CL. How is the market "flooded" rights now?!?!
  • Since you brought up the Atlanta-area car again... I had to call this time! LOL! I'm waiting to hear back from a few friends in the Atlanta-area to see if they can look at it for me this weekend and I put an add on the SSP site requesting help as well. If anyone lives in the GA area and wants to look at it for me, just let me know! :)
  • Two of the cars I mentioned were around $3,500.00. I think the other one was modded up though.

I can probably go do a search and turn up a bunch of different year LE Fox convertibles on Craigslist sites across the country. I saw quite a few TWs a couple of weeks ago. I have seen a few '92s, just playing around online. I found the SSPs the same way. When I went looking for a set of Pony Wheel center caps in silver to paint BZ to match my car (so I don't have to drive around with the chrome ones on the car) I found a set of silver ones that I bought in Ohio.
  • My friend looked at that one in GA yesterday. Man, that thing is rough. Feature buck tag is gone, has been hit in the front, water has been coming in the roof for a while, and a bad engine tick. My friend said it doesn't pull nearly as hard as it should for a 5.0. Interior is there, but bad, and all needs to be replaced. After I get a CarFax, I'll make the decision of whether I want to submit my offer or not.
  • Every car that I looked at would have to have the buck tag in place in order for me to consider buying it. The paint code on the door jamb label would have the BZ for the canary yellow paint, but I would look at the others before I thought about that one.

Of course, this is the way I have purchased my cars and if I ever find a YW it will be the same. The dirt cheap YW from Virginia that recently sold on e-Bay (John posted it for a while) even had the Buck Tag. That seller told me he didn't even know what he had there, until I spoke with him and he verified the tag was there, but he said he wasn't going to re-list it at a higher price.

If the buck tag is gone I would look real close to see if the support was replaced. I would leave it if that is the case.

What about the modded car? I found others in my search too, but they were $4k and above, 5 speeds. There was one in North Carolina too, if I remember correctly. There used to be one in New York but when the YW was sold the YB in New York sold on Craigslist too, or the ad got deleted by the seller so I figure it sold.
  • It is indeed a real Canary Yellow with BZ paint code. The front support was replaced and is not painted yellow. Everything is numbers matching except front bumper and hood. Since fenders were numbers matching, straight and untouched, I tend to think it was more of a bump in the front.

Are you referring to the modded automatic? I think that's a fair buy, but I'm looking strictly for a 5spd. I am aware of a very nice low mileage CY/black/5spd, but he's still a little higher price than what I'd be able to sell one car for and buy that one. If I had the money, I would have already purchased it. It's just that nice of a car. I'm looking for something that has a mostly stock, if not all stock, engine. I don't mind exhaust, suspension, and brake upgrades though. On the one in GA, the engine is scaring me more than anything, but if I have to rebuild it, that just means that the engine will be fresh. I don't mind that it has had the radiator support replaced. I do wish the tag was there though. All things considered, he'd have to really drop his price for me to say yes to buying it. After looking at the Autocheck report, it raises a few more questions I have to ask him. If the car wasn't so solid otherwise, I would have already passed on this car as a possibility. It's hard to find a solid car up here in the northeast.
  • Decided to pass on the one in GA. The fact that it needed engine work was a real deal destroyer for me and the sale of one of my cars fell through. Still enjoying the hunt though... lol!
  • Here is one for a real enthusiast! Too pricey for me, but look at the documentation included, and the LOW mileage claim... http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/3607087177.html