People listing cars they really don't want to sell

edited April 2013 in For sale/wanted
A 92 turned up on the Tulsa Craiglist. No mileage listed but they wanted crazy high for it. $11.5. Called and found out that it has over 100k but they said they wanted to negotiate. I took the drive to give it a look. It was not totally gone but certainly nowhere near the bottom line $8500 they went down to. At most $3000 maybe $3750 but that's it.

It has clearly been a daily driver at some point in it's life but not now. Now it stays under a carport but not a garage. The original paint is salvageable but the top and all of the interior is trash. It does have the EQ but not the power seat. Compressor has been replaced with a non Ford unit and for some reason the buck tag is gone. Exhaust it original but totally rusted out.

It would be a good start bed for a restoration but even after sinking a lot of $$$ into it, it would still have over 100k miles so it's not really good for anything but a spare car.

Pitty that it's not registered here. It's only the second 92 I've ever seen in Tulsa.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/3739993629.html

Comments

• May be in the database as a CA car. seq# 152237
  • I checked everything I could think of including the registry. Nothing came up. I agree, a crazy price.
  • A few hours away from me, there was a CY/black/auto for sale. He had newer tires (on aftermarket wheels) and a recent top (two years ago). Interior had been swapped from leather to cloth and some plastics needed to be replaced from damage. I went down to look at it because he said he was real negotiable on his price. He had no idea that it was a Feature car or anything special at all. Although he stated it was a clean, original car, I found out that it was hit in the front, had been repainted at least twice, had different fenders, doors, and hood, but was for the most part solid. I told him that I was no longer interested in the car because of the undisclosed damage and non-number matching metal. After him telling me how knowledgeable I was on these cars and that I would have been a great owner (as he wants it to go to a good home), I told him he had a $2000 car, not the $5K car he thought he had. Then he tells me, "If I can't get my asking price, I'll just keep it because I enjoy driving it." I then wondered why he told me he was very negotiable on price?

Some people think they own gold mines, but they don't realize that it isn't worth much until after you mine it. Sadly, there are a lot of people who own specialty cars out there that want to sell you an unrestored car for at a concours price. Someday they'll realize it (hopefully).
  • That is the funny thing about cars, their sellers, the people that want them, those that might be happy with an over-priced car (in some people's eyes) and those that snub their noses at a car for all kinds of reasons. I can only wonder what was said about my YB 5 speed when it turned up for sale that made the former owner in Colorado (Matt) hold onto it for so long that he dropped the price to what I got if for. I was elated to find it and even happier to pay to have it shipped here from Colorado. It wasn't the YW 5 Speed that I was looking for initially but it was still a real nice car. Poor car, now you can see every stone nick in the hood, the ding in the driver's fender is surface rusted, from sitting outside in the Florida humidity, the top is band-aided from the vandal that slit it in Colorado, and the seats are dry and shot, but ALL body panels are numbers matching to the car.

When it comes to a Buck Tag missing start looking for radiator support replacement evidence, of just wrinkles in the support near the buck tag. Body shops don't think anything about stuff like that when they get an accident damaged car in for repairs. If they replace a support, like one of the 4 7-Up convertibles that I used to own at one time with a Rebuilt Florida title, they will tear a non-number matching Buck Tag from the replacement support and discard it along with the damaged parts removed from the car they are fixing. Their money is made by throwing the car back together with any parts they can find after straightening the bent up structural parts on the car and getting it back to the owner.

I agree with the seller, just like with me selling my 1966 289-2V Mustang Coupe. I tried for about a year, maybe longer, and all of the cheap-skates looking for a concours show car for my asking price around here weren't interested. I listed the car in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, where the car was originally shipped to from Ford, and I sold the car in a week. The buyer was elated to find the car in the condition it was in.