Old Issue "Cafe Press"

edited January 2008 in Feature Mustangs
Hi John,
Do you plan on trying to have any more club shirts or anything?
Really liked my T-shirt with the 3 Features on it.

I have found this letter on both the Black Mustang Club and the Yellow Mustang Registry. You may have already seen it but thought I would share anyway.

Looks like they were mainly after Cafe Press.
Take care, Jerry

Please read this letter that was sent to Lisa at BMC.....If you can, please send the BMC a letter of thanks for taking care of this...

My name is Whitney Drake and I work in Ford Communications.
We've been watching this discussion with interest and I'd like to
clarify what is essentially a misunderstanding.

Yesterday we spoke to both Cafe Press and the Black Mustang Club
and explained the situation (about the Black Mustang Club’s calendar) to everyone's satisfaction. Ford has no problem with Mustang or other car owners taking pictures of their vehicles for use in club materials like calendars. What we do have an issue with are individuals using Ford’s logo and other trademarks for products they intend to sell. Understandably, we have to take the protection of our brands and licensing very seriously.

Ford did not send the Black Mustang Club a “cease and desist” letter telling them that they could not use images of their own cars in their calendar. The decision not to allow the calendars to be printed was made by Cafe Press, because we had gotten in touch with them in the past about trademark infringements on products they sold.

The Black Mustang Club, and any other Ford enthusiast club, are free to take pictures of their own vehicles for use in calendars or other materials as long as they don't use Ford trademarks in products that will be sold.

I think it is great that the Black Mustang Club, and any other enthusiast club, would take pictures of their own vehicles for use in calendars or other materials.

I'm looking forward to purchasing a copy to hang in the garage next
to my Mustang (even if mine isn't black).

Thanks for giving us the chance to have our say.

Comments

• Good question! My 3 year old son is growing out of his and is due for another shirt of "daddy's car". If there is a way we can order again, let us know!

Thanks

Ken
  • @Jerry:

No, I have not seen that. It is very interesting. It gets to my wife's point which is "you mean even though we own that car we are not allowed to sell a picture of it". It did seem wrong.

In fact, when I did the shirt with the three features I was very careful not to use any of Ford's trademarks. I didn't use "Ford"; didn't use "Mustang"; didn't use logos. I did use "LX 5.0" but I assumed that is not trademarked (it does not appear to be). The problem may have been some of the other items I did after that where I may have thrown in a "Mustang" or two.

I am willing to restart selling items on Cafe Press. Heck, I put down $60 to get a Premium store there. Now it is just sitting there doing nothing. Look for something in February. I have a lot going on this month and have plans to be out of town for a portion of it.

In the mean time, how about if you guys (and girls) offer some suggestions on what you would like? Obviously, there is no obligation to buy it if I actually sell it. When this whole thing started, I was getting organized to do a calendar. What else?
  • Looking forward to it........like I said before, my sons triple shirt is looking a little small on him!! I will also give it some thought about suggestions. I do like the mousepad, have it sitting ar my work computer right now and it has held up very well.

Thanks!
  • Hi Everyone,
    I have been on the forums of other sites since I found this.
    The problem Ford seems to have is with Cafe Press.
    Ford doesn't seem to mind the car clubs using the Logos or images, but has a problem with Cafe Press making a profit selling them.
    Anyway, hope this works out where we can purchase some items.
    T-shirts, Sweat shirts, a calender would be great. I also wanted a mouse pad but didn't order it when I got my other items. I have been afraid to wear my t-shirt because something might happen to it and I can't get another one. I am looking forward to be able to by some more items.
    Jerry
  • I have been afraid to wear my t-shirt because something might happen to it and I can't get another one.

Actually, I have been hesitant to wear mine as well. Thanks for re-energizing me on this issue!
  • JOHN, MAKE A CALENDAR AS WE TALKED ABOUT BEFORE ! HECK, I WORE MY SHIRT ALL LAST CAR SEASON , OTHER FEATURE CAR OWNERS HAVE ASKED WHERE TO GET THEM AND I TOLD THEM-- BEFORE YOU YOU STOPPED. I REALLY HAVE ENJOYED MY 92 FEATURE SO MUCH I BOUGHT A 90 7up CAR. KEEP UP YOUR HARD WORK. JOEL :lol: JOHN, MAKE A CALENDAR AS WE TALKED ABOUT BEFORE ! HECK, I WORE MY SHIRT ALL LAST CAR SEASON , OTHER FEATURE CAR OWNERS HAVE ASKED WHERE TO GET THEM AND I TOLD THEM-- BEFORE YOU YOU STOPPED. I REALLY HAVE ENJOYED MY 92 FEATURE SO MUCH I BOUGHT A 90 7up CAR. KEEP UP YOUR HARD WORK. JOEL