Update on stolen Pony

edited February 2008 in Feature Mustangs
Hey guys, been a while since I have given any type of update. After almost 2 MONTHS of being at the mechanics shop, we're finally getting her back today but it's hardly over.

Originally, the only thing they saw that needed to be repaired was the steering column but things went downhill from there. The top had a tear in it and there was also a dent on the front of the hood and the front bumper has some serious chips in it. Since they weren't gonna paint the entire car we told them to just forget about that and we'd take care of it when we eventually had the money to get the entire car painted.

Somehow they thought we did want the bumper/hood painted so a few weeks ago when my wife went up there to see the progress, she noticed that they had painted her. And let me tell you, it's the most piss poor paint job that my wife said she has ever seen (it's her car technically). The insurance adjuster was out there also and showed her where it looked like they painted the car outside. You could see where debris was just painted over. Plus even though the guy said they used the Ford factory color, my wife said it's much more yellow. I'm thinking they used the new ford yellow and not the canary yellow that it was supposed to be.

So now we do have the hood and bumper fixed but it's an ugly yellow. They said they were gonna replace the top but then wanted us to pay some sort of betterment since the car was only a 93 and wasn't worth that much. We finally got them to agree to pay for the entire top but they didn't actually do the work. They're gonna give us a check to get it done.

This has become such a fiasco, the owner of the ford/Lincoln dealership is involved, an executive of State Farm is involved and some insurance adjusters have been fired over this. We have been getting screwed from every angle and this all could have been avoided if they wouldn't have painted the car.

So now, we have a car that is fixed but I'm expecting them to also give us money to fix their lousy paint job they did. If they don't this issue could go on for quite a while.

Comments

• Hey, thanks for the update. I wish it were going better for you. Hang in there!
  • Hey, thanks for the update. I wish it were going better for you. Hang in there!

Now even more problems. My wife went to pick her up the other day and it barely would get out of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and wouldn't even go in to overdrive. So my wife turned around and asked if they even drove the car after they fixed it. They said they drove it for 8 miles and it was fine so she made him ride with her. Well he still said that 1st and 2nd were fine but they would look at the solenoid that they adjusted in the beginning.

So they found that the transmission was gone and the insurance even covered it. So we're getting a rebuilt tranny which is pretty darn nice.
  • You better go buy some lottery tickets! Most of the time the insurance gurus hardly cover anything. Take care and best of luck. Chet
  • You better go buy some lottery tickets! Most of the time the insurance gurus hardly cover anything. Take care and best of luck. Chet

Well it looks like the insurance company is living up to their reputation. They tried putting in tranny's from junk yards instead of rebuilt tranny's. First one was bad. Second one didn't even have overdrive in it.

They just put the third one in and they said it's ready to go. Our friend who works there said to run her into the ground because the tranny will only have a 30 day warranty so if it breaks, I need to have it break within those 30 days.

So we're gonna pick it up and hope for the best. Now we gotta find a convertible top that costs less that $900 because that's all they gave us
  • I bought a top from Latemodel Resto back in 2004 the top they sold at the time was an Electron Top brand and they claim to use the original paterns that Ford used and they come with a 72 month warranty. The top cost 150.00 at the time and I also purchased a rear window with shroud which was 125.00. I had a local shop install both for 350.00 they look perfect with the exception of the glass not having the "carlite" etched in the glass. And we have had very minimal leaking issues the only time being on the passenger door window side during an extremely heavy rainfall. Best of luck. Chet and the gang
  • Here check this company out.
    Robbins replacement top with 36 oz Haartz fabric. Comes in Oxford white or Black.

http://store.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-8804-28-0.html

Jerry
  • Here's another one. Be sure to scroll down to bottom of the page.

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cgi-l ... gi?cat=389

Jerry
  • Awesome!

Thanks for the links guys
  • Well I just got the car home.

Thing is that we had to creep home because somehow the left brake pad is so worn that the rotor will have to be replaced. We tried telling the insurance company that if the brakes would have been in that bad of condition the day the car was stolen, I wouldn't have even driven it to work but they wouldn't budge.

So now we're still without the car because the rotor is tore up so bad that I mainly used the E-brake on the way home.

It's been quite a while since I have replaced brakes but when I used to, it was on hondas and toyotas.

We're gonna call a mechanic friend of ours and see if he can get the right rotor turned then maybe I'll see how much he will charge to replace the brakes and rotor just to save me the time from doing it.

The yellow paint isn't that bad but I'm gonna take a picture to see what you guys think.

Here are some pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/ ... /dings.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/ ... rcolor.jpg
  • Brakes shoudnt run you too much. And the pics dont look all that bad. Take care.
  • Brakes shoudnt run you too much. And the pics dont look all that bad. Take care.

Yea I just talked to my friend who works there and I guess they repainted her which is why the paint isn't as bad as it was.

He said the first paintjob was absolutely horrendous.

I'm about to take the brakes and rotors off to go get one turned and the other replaced.

At least changing brakes is a pretty easy thing to do. I work 2 16 hour shifts on the weekend so if I don't get this done today, my wife will be without a car all weekend