The Airbag Diagnostic Module

My car started throwing Code 12 from the airbag this year upon it's emergence from hibernation. Did my research and troubleshooting and figured it was the diagnostic module, most likely the capacitors got old and are leaking since Code 12 relates to the backup power supply failing and the 92/93 cars used capacitors in the module rather than actual batteries that the 90/91 cars did from what I understand.

So anyway, obtained another module pulled from a 1995 something and that solved the problem. What an absolute bear that is to replace though. I do not want to do that again.

There are a few cars, Crown Vics, Aerostars, etc that use the same module under a different part number up until 95 for sure and maybe 96? This will inevitably happen again in the not too distance future since things get old. At least the module in there now is a few years newer so hopefully has some life left to give.

The exact part number for the mustangs still exists in dealers' parts systems but it's on indefinite backorder. I didn't try any cross-referencing after I found the one I did since they're ~$250 in the system anyway.

I'm not tossing the old part and me being me I gently opened it up to have a look to see what's what. My guess is that if I replace those four huge capacitors it would be good as new but honestly I think I'll just replace all the capacitors when the time comes to suffer through this again because it's going to be just that much more difficult to find a valid replacement next time.. I can't see anything else that I know fails gradually with age. Those ICs should be ok for a long time.

All in all another reminder of things not lasting forever despite my best intentions and the frustrations of having an old car but one that is still new enough to have troublesome little bits like airbag systems.

2013-04-28+18.51.01.jpg

Comments

• Is the one large capacitor bulging? It is hard to tell from the angle of the picture.

I recently purchased a flea market 40" LCD Samsung flat screen television for $10.00. When I went online I found this model number is known to have power supply board capacitor problems. I pulled the back off of the television, found the 4 suspect capacitors and bought and replaced the capacitors for about $6.00. I am not the greatest at soldering and circuit boards but love my "new to me" television. The place I bought the capacitors from is in Florida and has NO minimum purchase quantity required.

I need to replace a module throwing a 51 and don't feel like replacing the main thermal fuse. I appreciate the information on the Aerostars carrying the same module. There are loads of them in the yards here. I need to troubleshoot the clock spring to be sure it is in tact before I replace the module. I found a thread on a site where someone repaired their clock spring too.
  • What is so hard about replacing it?

Please don't tell me it is one of those things you need to pull the dash to get at. I replaced my heater core earlier this month and I really, really, really don't wanna do that again.
  • None of the capacitors appear to be bulging.

You don't have to pull the dash to do this. Just the heater controls and the radio. Pulling the whole console would make it easier but obviously would be more involved.

It really wasn't a fun job. I couldn't get it off the bracket with the bracket bolted it so I had to undo that and pull the whole thing out through the heater control space. There are three wiring harnesses attached to the bracket so it's a pain. Just takes time and it's awkward.
  • I recently purchased a flea market 40" LCD Samsung flat screen television for $10.00. When I went online I found this model number is known to have power supply board capacitor problems. I pulled the back off of the television, found the 4 suspect capacitors and bought and replaced the capacitors for about $6.00.
    That's a smokin' deal! I used to sell electronics and the biggest problem with LCD's (and even LED's now) are power supply or power-related issues. When Sony came out with their first 60" LED, I had one on the sales floor for 8 days and the board went. A brand new $3900 TV got an $1100 (wholesale, $1800 retail) board. Since it was custom order, we had to wait almost four weeks for the part. We left it on the floor broken and I've never sold so many service plans before that. As soon as we got it back working, service plan sales went back down! LOL! It's always great to be crafty with things like this!