Was there plans for an ORANGE feature car?

I remember seeing pics of an orange car with the same spoiler awhile back, maybe I dreamed it.....

Comments

• ?????? JOHN, OR ANYONE WHO WILL JOIN IN. I NOTICED ON THE WINDOW STICKER YOU PUT ONLINE THAT FORD CALLED THE 92 VIBRANT RED ??? I KNOW MINE IS PERFORMANCE RED. ALSO ON ONE WINDOW STICKER ON THE FEATURE THEY ALSO LISTED --- LUGGAGE RACK ???? SOMETHING TO SCRATCH YOUR HEAD ABOUT!!!! I HAVE NOT SEEN BUT HAVE HEARD PEOPLE CALL THEIRS ORANGE. JOEL
  • I have noticed on line that some pics look more Orange and some Red. I don't know if this is due to fade, lighting or just color quality of the photo. For some what color they call it might just be their perception of the color and what they choose to call it. Seems the 92's are less photographed. So hard to tell.

Checked my paint chip charts and it looks like the last true Orange color was in 1979 called Tangerine, it did carry over to 1980 in some Mercury Capri's. Also looked at the mixing fomula for EY Performance Red, leans a little to the Orange side. In the early 80's there was a Brite Bittersweet that also was on the Orange side. In my stuff I did not see a Vibrant Red for Ford.

As for the Luggage rack. I think what you are seeing is the equipment list for the car as it would come standard. This was how they set the base price then you add in the specials. I did not ever see a sticker that listed everything they changed or did to the car, usually just package options. Don't take this as engraved in stone as it has been 11 years since I worked for a Ford Dealer and just when you think you have got it, well, insert foot. LOL
  • I do not have any information on an orange feature car being considered. I also agree that in some photos, the 1992 red can look orange in color.

The EY paint color name is something I have never resolved 100%. My opinion is that Performance Red = Vibrant Red. For 1993, you might also say the same for Performance White = Vibrant White.

One source I use is the Ford Technical Service Publication for 1993 Cars (on CD-ROM). It lists:

EY = Performance Red
    WB = Performance White

I don't have a version of the CD-ROM for 1992 but I think it is likely that Ford would maintain code/color combinations between these two years.

1992 feature car window stickers use "Vibrant Red" and we know that the feature cars for this year have an EY paint code.
    1993 white feature car window stickers use "Vibrant White" and we know that the white feature cars for this year have a WB paint code.
    The PPG color chart for 1992 shows EY as Performance Red
    The PPG color chart for 1993 shows WB as Performance White

Forgetting about the white, here is more conflicting information on reds:

The Fox-Body Mustang Recognition Guide 1979-1993 uses Performance Red and Vibrant red interchangeably when describing the 1992 feature car. Clearly they are confused, too. Although, the Guide lists both colors as available in 1993 as well as production numbers for each:

1993 Vibrant Red (ES) - GT Hatch=549 cars; GT Vert.=221 cars
    1993 Performance Red (EY) - GT Hatch=576 cars; GT Vert.=197 cars

The 1993 Ford Mustang brochure lists only Vibrant Red.

It is interesting that they use the code ES for Vibrant Red. I have never seen this code anywhere else. They quote http://www.thirdgenerationnewsandbeyond.com as their source. That site appears to be now defunct.

The Catalog of Mustang ID Numbers 1964 1/2 - 93 does not list EY as a paint code for 1992. It does list it for 1993 but calls it Vibrant Red.

Ford marketing literature uses "Performance Red" so that is what I use. I know that this post does not clear anything up :( but it is everything I know on the subject.
  • MAKES ME SAY---DUH--- I THOUGHT HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND !
  • I also remember seeing a picture of an orange (not red) feature car in a magazine around 91-92. From what I remember it had the chrome pony wheels, white top/interior. About 3 years ago I scoured the internet and magazines to see if I could find a pic and did not have any luck. Sorry have no documentation on it, just adding to the speculation. The car stuck in my memory because of the chome wheels.

Maybe a pre production promo car that met the crusher or possibly an aftermarket paint job etc....
  • I also remember seeing a picture of an orange (not red) feature car in a magazine around 91-92. From what I remember it had the chrome pony wheels, white top/interior. About 3 years ago I scoured the internet and magazines to see if I could find a pic and did not have any luck. Sorry have no documentation on it, just adding to the speculation. The car stuck in my memory because of the chome wheels.

Maybe a pre production promo car that met the crusher or possibly an aftermarket paint job etc....

The orange feature car was supposed to follow the yellow and white models at the end of 1993. It, obviously, never made production. The package was identical to the yellow w/ white interior, but exterior color was similar to tangerine that came out in 1996. I remember seeing the magazine article too, so you weren't imagining it. I save all of my old mags, but it could take forever for me to find that one.
  • Thank you for confirming the tangerine color and that I have not gone totally crazy-- that is the article I remember.