New Feature Owner

edited August 2007 in Member introductions
I just wanted to introduce myself to the group, I picked up a 92 5spd Feature here locally in New Jersey in March and now that the nice weather is here I have been taking her out alot. I was looking for a red 5.0 vert to drive on weekends and this one came up and I had to have it. The rarity sealed the deal for me!!

I will be participating at Carlisle this year and look forward to meeting everyone.

To tell you a little bit about my Feature, the car was well maintained and garage kept since day one. The previous owner tastefully modified the suspension to include lowering springs, steeda suspension parts, welded subframes, and the kicker, white Cobra R's. The original white Pony's with tires were included but I have yet to put them on the car. The Cobra R's are really starting to grow on me so they will stay on the car for now. It still keeps the theme of the car but gives it a little more aggressive look.

The only issues I have is the need for a new top and the drivers seat has a nice sized rip. I wanted to have both repaired before Carlisle but time is running short so I will unfortunately will be hiding the top under the tonnau cover and the seat, well, not sure how to hide that yet.

vinmustang018yl0.jpg
Latest pic
fetauremustang1stday001lh7.jpg
Day I picked her up at the previous owners home. He is a Mustang guy, that is his other Mustang in the background
fetauremustang1stday020qg0.jpg
I like the look with the lowered suspension and 3" exhaust
deanandmustang060ms2.jpg
Dad's car and the newest addition, my kid's new "ride"!!

Comments

• I'm glad you will be joining us at Carlisle.

Like any car show, there will be cars that are better than ours but also cars that are not as nice. We'll be somewhere in the middle. There are people who don't drive their cars and those cars are understandably mint. For those of us who do drive them (and I would have it no other way) we are faced with the wear and tear that comes with it. And, the struggle to find replacement parts (like tires :( but I don't want to get off topic).

At a local car show I once saw an old Shelby that didn't have a shiny spot on it. It had a sign in the windshield that looked as old as the car that said something like "Environmental Test Car - Do Not Restore".

That probably doesn't help your seat situation but I thought it was funny. It was probably legit but it would be an interesting approach to take. :D

My son would love a little Mustang like the one in the last pic.
  • I'm glad you will be joining us at Carlisle.

Like any car show, there will be cars that are better than ours but also cars that are not as nice. We'll be somewhere in the middle. There are people who don't drive their cars and those cars are understandably mint. For those of us who do drive them (and I would have it no other way) we are faced with the wear and tear that comes with it. And, the struggle to find replacement parts (like tires :( but I don't want to get off topic).

At a local car show I once saw an old Shelby that didn't have a shiny spot on it. It had a sign in the windshield that looked as old as the car that said something like "Environmental Test Car - Do Not Restore".

That probably doesn't help your seat situation but I thought it was funny. It was probably legit but it would be an interesting approach to take. :D

My son would love a little Mustang like the one in the last pic.

I do love driving the thing and not worried about putting the miles on it. My last Mustang was a 95 Cobra Vert with the hardtop (1 of 499). I loved that car but hated putting any miles on it because of the rarity. Looking back, I was the one that missed out! (the current owner also does not drive it, just shows it)

With the top and seat, I may be in luck. If I can get a shop to do the work before Carlisle, I am going to get it fixed now. The wife and I just came to a agreement this weekend, I spend a few bucks on the feature and she can spend a few on her hobbie (jewlery!). If I can not get it done in time the sign is not a bad idea!

Spent the day claying and Zaino-ing the car getting ready for Carlisle and after 15 years, it cleaned up pretty well. I'll need to buy some touch up paint. I'm going to see if I can get any at the show.
  • The wife and I just came to a agreement this weekend, I spend a few bucks on the feature and she can spend a few on her hobbie (jewlery!).

My wife and I have a similar agreement and she has the exact same hobby!

I was just in a Mustang shop yesterday and they had a sign with the 10 commandments of Mustang ownership. One was something like "Thou shall not tell thy signficant other the full cost of a restoration. At least not all at once".

Although, the same could be said for her "hobby".
  • Not sure where you are in Jersey - but this guy is just over the Commodore Barry in PA. I had him quote me a price to replace my top - and he was the cheapest around. Here is the link to his website - and he sent me pics of some of his top replacements (one was a '92 feature as well). If you're interested - I can forward the pics to you.

Delaware County Auto Upholstery
    211 Green Ave
    Holmes, Pa 19043
    www.autoupholstery.5u.com
    (610)-534-2278
  • Not sure where you are in Jersey - but this guy is just over the Commodore Barry in PA. I had him quote me a price to replace my top - and he was the cheapest around. Here is the link to his website - and he sent me pics of some of his top replacements (one was a '92 feature as well). If you're interested - I can forward the pics to you.

Delaware County Auto Upholstery
    211 Green Ave
    Holmes, Pa 19043
    www.autoupholstery.5u.com
    (610)-534-2278

EXCELLENT! Please send me pics if you can to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:cobra2top@aol.com">cobra2top@aol.com</a><!-- e -->. I'll call them tomorrow to see what they can do and in what time.

Thanks again

Ken
  • I "Zaino'ed" my feature this weekend and I wanted to share it. It really looks amazing for a 15 year old car with 127K!! The Zaino waxes are really pretty amazing....I have not used them in years and forgot how much work is involved. I enjoyed it because it's a new car to me and gave me some time to really get around it.

Should be all set for Carlisle, just need to do the interior and the tires.

featurezainoed043gu2.jpg

featurezainoed013gt1.jpg
  • Looks amazing!

What Zaino product(s) did you use? Do you order them online or find them locally?
  • Looks amazing!

What Zaino product(s) did you use? Do you order them online or find them locally?

I bought their "ZKIT-1 Show Car Kit". Check their website and go to quick order. Their site is www.zainostore.com. Now be prepaired to be floored by thier pricing. The kit cost $84.70 and includes 6 different products (including clay). Their website will also suggest how to apply. Give yourself a good long day and be ready to work the arms! There are a minimum of 7 steps which include wash, clay, wash, and then a minimum of 4 layers of wax. I ended up adding a few more layers only because my paint was looking tired after 15 years and 127K miles.

Everytime I go out there and look at it I am still very impressed with the results. I use to use Zaino years ago and now they have made it easier to use. What use to take a full weekend now takes a good day. The bonus for my car is since it is a toy, I probably will not go through another day of waxing like that for at minimum a year or longer. I still have plenty of product left. They include a detailer spray that I will use for the next year to keep the shine going.

I ended up getting mine locally since I live in NJ and Zaino does not ship within the state. They are a small group and talking to them they do not want to deal with NJ sales tax. Can not say I blame them because this state makes things harder then they need to be. Since you are out of state, you can order online and they are really fast. You may be able to get it for the weekend if you order tonight.

Good luck and see you in Carlisle.

BEFORE
    sday148lr7.jpg

AFTER
    ed004af8.jpg

Ken
  • Nice!. Yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon I ordered that exact kit. It shipped out right away and will be here on Tuesday of next week. That gives me only Wednesday to get it done so I am glad to hear that it doesn't take a whole weekend.
  • Nice!. Yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon I ordered that exact kit. It shipped out right away and will be here on Tuesday of next week. That gives me only Wednesday to get it done so I am glad to hear that it doesn't take a whole weekend.

The key to the kit is their ZFX flash cure accelerator. When I did my Cobra back in 2000 they did not have the accelerator. It meant putting on the wax, waiting a few hours (depending on humitidy) until it dried, and then wiping off and adding more. I got the same results in one day....again, it was all day, but definitely worth the effort.

While you wait for the kit to arrive, I suggest picking up some white 100% cotton bath towels. I bought 4 at Wal-Mart for $5 each. On the Zaino website they suggest buying more expensive towels, but for me and may paint not being 100%, the cheaper towels worked well. Also pick up some Dawn dishwashing liquid. The site calls this brand out by name since it was the one that best removed the old wax on your car.

Another product I used and it was amazing is a headlight polisher kit. My lights were yellowing and I bought the "CCP Brand 5 Minute Headlamp Lens Restorer" at Pepboys. It cost $10 and when I was done it was like I bought brand new headlights and side markers. The kit comes with foam pads and a plastic buffer wheel for your drill. Set the drill on high speed and wet the pad down and you are in business.

Good luck Wednesday! It's going to look great under the lights!
  • Just wanted to add this pic of my kid with his new "duds" we received in the mail. He already is claiming the car behind him is his!! I only have 14 more years until I have to start hiding the keys!!

celicaevanwithnewshirt0zh6.jpg
  • Where did the t-shirt come from? I have to get one for my little girl.
  • Where did the t-shirt come from? I have to get one for my little girl.

Right here on this site. I bought it along with a few other items to help support the site. Actually the shirts are very nice. There is printing on the front and back and they are made by Hanes. The printing has survived many washings that are necessary with a 2 year old boy.

It now is my sons favorite shirt so I will be getting another once he grows this one out!
  • Ken,

Thanks for the plug! :D

All:

I do offer mustang-related items for sale through the shop link at the top of this site. Adult sizes are available, too.

All proceeds go to help support this site.