Convertible Top - Bright White or Oxford White?

edited October 2008 in Feature Mustangs
It's time to replace the top on my 1992 feature car. The top shop told me that all 91-93 Mustangs have the same Oxford White top, but when I looked at the sample, it wasn't as bright as I remembered mine being when it was new 16 years ago.

JohnsMustang and FoxBodyMustangRestoration show both "White" and "Bright White" tops, but (according to their websites) the bright is only indicated for the 1993 cars, not my 1992.

Does anybody know if the 1992 feature car has a "bright" top or a standard white one?

Thanks,
-qcar

Comments

• Good question......I am getting a new top for my 92 and also have the same question. I just want to make sure I get as accurate a color as possible. With this a summer toy at this point, this should be the cars last top so I want it correct.

Thanks!
  • It's time to replace the top on my 1992 feature car. The top shop told me that all 91-93 Mustangs have the same Oxford White top, but when I looked at the sample, it wasn't as bright as I remembered mine being when it was new 16 years ago.

JohnsMustang and FoxBodyMustangRestoration show both "White" and "Bright White" tops, but (according to their websites) the bright is only indicated for the 1993 cars, not my 1992.

Does anybody know if the 1992 feature car has a "bright" top or a standard white one?

Thanks,
    -qcar
    According to Sesslers "Mustang Red Book" the car used a WW code white top or standard color used with any other Mustang LX or Gt. Best of luck. Chet
  • Fellow feature car owner Ron reminded me of an email conversation we had last year where he provided me with some details direct from Haartz on top color:
    Dear Ron,

Thanks for contacting Haartz. You pose a very good question and the answer is one that is actually rather detailed.

Your 1993 Mustang was originally supplied with a Double Texture Standard Grain top in the color "Performance White" with a color code of 1439 supplied by Haartz. This color was only used for the 1993 model and then dropped by Ford. Haartz has not run this color for over 10 years and I have no records to indicate who might of bought this color after the original Ford purchases. Moving forward to the 1994 model year Mustang, Ford "tweaked" the color, keeping the name "Performance White", but with a new color ID number 1494. It is a slightly different color but one that is currently available. To make things even more confusing, starting with the 1995 model year Mustang, Ford changed the name to "Bright White", but kept the color number the same 1494.

As the original color 1439 is no longer available to our knowledge, unless somebody has some NOS material hidden away, your only option is to go with the 1494 color which is available. Make sure to specify the "Standard grain" as starting in 1995 Ford changed to the "Sailcloth grain" but kept the color from the previous year.

EZ On should be able to supply you with the 1494 color (it could be called Performance White or Bright White) as long as you get the Standard grain material.

I hope this help,

Regards,
    Doug
    The 1992 isn't specifically mentioned but he does say that Performance white (later called Bright white) was started in 1993.

The guy at Haartz seems very helpful. Perhaps, an email to him could clarify the 1992 color.
  • Thanks. I will have to search him down and send him a email. Interesting info though!
  • Instead of starting a new thread, I was wondering what the color was for the black top?

I found a place that has all kinds of colors here

http://images.1aauto.com/IHL/Samples/St ... 0cloth.jpg
  • Here check this company out.
    Robbins replacement top with 36 oz Haartz fabric. Comes in Oxford white or Black.

http://store.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-8804-28-0.html

Jerry
  • I don't know the code for the original color, but, if you are looking for a replacement, NOS is available:

http://www.npdlink.com/modules.php?name=NOS
  • Here's another one. Be sure to scroll down to bottom of the page.

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cgi-l ... gi?cat=389

Jerry
  • Back to the topic of white tops, fellow feature car owner Ron provided more details:
    I highly recommend EZ On Tops thru Vics Upholstery Supply in Panorama City California. They advertise on Ebay and I don't think you can beat the price. Toll free 1-800-624-4470
    and
    In an earlier email a week or so ago I mentioned that the top on my 92 was replaced 9 years ago keeping the factory carlite glass and panel. The replacement was done in what I believe was Oxford White as the factory rear panel is still brighter even tho it is 14 years old. My opinion in spite of what Doug said about 1993 being the first year for Bright White, is that the Bright White looks much better than the Oxford White. My top looks dirty with the red body. I attached a picture and if you look carefully you can see the difference with the factory rear panel and the replacement top. The ad I found on craigslist was even more pronounced than this picture.

92ReplacementTopWithOriginalRearWindow.jpg

This is valuable information.
  • I'd thought I would bring this one back up........yesterday with our 60 degree day here in NJ I pulled out the 92 feature after playing a little hookie from work. I need a top bad so I hit a few of the local shops in my area. The cheapest was $900 and the most $1300. More then I want to spend but at some point it is going to have to get done.

The 2 lowest price shops were smaller shops but very knowledgeable owners. The larger shops did not really seem to care much for my business. One carried a top by Robbins and the other a top by Electron. I have heard good things about Electron but the Robbins is a new name for me. Anyone have any experience with either?

Thanks

Ken
  • Good timing to bring this topic up again. Over the last 24 hours, I have been on the CC: list of some email correspondence between the aforementioned feature car owner Ron and Doug at Haartz. Doug stated:
    Your 1992 Mustang did indeed have a different color white top when shipped from the factory. In 1992 the color used was color number 4902, with the name "Oxford White". The Oxford White was used by Ford from the mid 80's until the 92' model year. As the feature cars were only limited edition runs for a few years in the early 90's I am lead to believe that they used the same top material as the other Mustang convertibles built in each model year. It was the rest of the "package/accessories/upgrades" that distinguished the feature cars. They then changed in 93' to the Performance White as I indicated in my earlier email. The tops cannot be re-dyed so that they will perform or act as the original top material in terms UV or abrasion characteristics.

I would again suggest that you contact EZ-On for a replacement top. They have purchased the 4902 Oxford White Double Texture top material that would be the correct replacement for the 1992 vehicles.
    And, related to whether 1992 cars could have had a Performance White top at the end of the production run, Doug states:
    You pose a good question. I unfortunately cannot tell what C&C might have used on these vehicles. As your car was built in late June, it is possible that it might have had the Performance White, but I have no way of confirming this. The color would have been developed by this time, and theoretically available.

Sorry this is not the best answer, but about as close as I can come at the moment.

Do you have the original build sheet for your car? I have a reference number of : 4WFABQ which referenced the Ford color code for the 4902 Oxford White color.
    I don't know about brands of tops myself. On the topic of price I was quoted the following last spring:

Top: $250
    Window: $240
    Pads: $50
    Labor: $480
    Total: $1020 + tax

This was at a small local shop that does a lot of tops (nearly one every day).
  • I have an Electron top on our car and it is very nice. We used a smaller shop located by us and they did a great job. I have about 900.00 in the top which inlcudes: top, rear window shroud, and installation. We did not need the top pads. Best of luck. Chet
  • Great information. I am leaning toward performance white because I personally think it would look better but will check the build date. I wonder if there is any part of the top that may not have been exposed to the weather, sun, etc. Something maybe hidden where it is attached to the car that could be used as a sample to check against. I will head out in the garage and poke around to see if any possible parts may not have been exposed. Maybe I might get lucky.

Sounds like my quote is on track. It's funny because one of the bigger shops claimed I needed everything, pads, cables etc. and totalled it up to $1300. The little local guy with a one bay shop said the pads are fine and wants to charge me $900. He uses the Electron top while another guy down the road uses Robbins. I would feel comfortable with both, but it's going to come down to Top manufactuers. If Robbins is better, I'll put up the additional $100 to have the better top.....ahh decisions decisions!!
  • I was looking through my "Fox-Body Mustang Recognition Guide 1979 - 1993" and noticed something that was right in front of me the whole time about the 92's.

The book has a VIN and Door tag decoder for each year. In 92 the white interior is called "Oxford White". Looking up 93 they call it just "white". Then I thought about the rims, the 92's are Pearlescent, which is not a bright white. Could Ford have put on Oxford white tops on the 92's to match the interior and rims?

So I think I have it figured out. I go out to my car and read the door tag. Everything makes sense but the following:

Molding code: Mine is a M and M is not listed in the book at all
    (the kicker) Interior code, mine is CZ, book does not list "Z" (color of interior!!). Now that I am confused, the more I look at the white in my car, I am starting to believe it was Oxford white. It just does not have that bright white look to it when I check areas that do not see any sun (under the rear seat).

THE HUNT IS STILL ON FOR THE TOP....DO I PUT ON OXFORD OR THE COLOR I LIKE PERFORMANCE!?!?!?!
  • Molding code: Mine is a M and M is not listed in the book at all
    (the kicker) Interior code, mine is CZ, book does not list "Z" (color of interior!!).
    This is what drives me crazy about door tag decoding.

On the 30 or so door tags that I have information from for '92 feature cars "M" is almost always the Molding code. "CZ" is the interior code. I attribute those that are not to data entry errors on my registration form.

There is no mention of the shade of "white" in any of the Ford Lit. that I have:

http://www.triplewhitefox.com/mustang/92literature.htm#dealer
  • Sounds like people are partial to Performance White on a 92. What is the concensus on this? Would you go with Performance or Oxford?
  • I thought I would bring this up one more time...would you get Oxford White or Performance White on a 92?

Next week I am going to get the top replaced. The person at the shop claims in 92 Ford used Oxford. He has done a ton of Mustangs and was actually recommended on a few mustang sites.

Decision time is approaching! What to get??
  • Based upon what I have learned through this thread, my opinion has formed that Oxford White is correct for 1992. My opinion is further that if you are aiming for authenticity go with Oxford; if you are aiming for look, go with Bright. I think the key word here is that it is 'opinion'.

But, you have to pick what you like. If you do get Bright White, unless your car is parked next to another that has Oxford, only someone with a very careful eye will ever know the difference (unless they read this, of course ;) )

If ultimately we do find out that Bright is correct and you went with Oxford (or vice versa) I don't think it will effect the value of your car. It's not like you painted your Emerald Green 7-up car Black.
  • Thanks for the feedback! I'm also starting to believe that Oxford was the color they used in 92. I am still in decision mode. I am going to call the seat mfg TMI to see what color they use on their replacement leathers for the 92 features. If that color is bright white then I am going to go the same with the top. If it is Oxford I am going to go that route.

We'll see!

On a separate note, I am thinking of also painting my feature, maybe black like the car on ebay or better yet, how about a yellow or white?!? How cool would that be having a "92" yellow or white feature with the black piping interior!!! :lol:
  • Well, it looks like Oxford was the color top put on my car. After reading about build sheets in "The Den" I called Ford and requested a sheet. They called this morning to confirm the address and I asked the person if they would tell me the color of the top. They said Oxford along with the interior. Looks like that is the direction I will go. I believe it would match the rest of the car better since the door panels and such are also Oxford.

I also learned my car was built 5-26-92 which was a Tuesday. Good day of the week to build a car!

Thanks to everyones help in this process.
  • Congratulations! I know what a long and trying process these things can become when there is little or no information available and yet you want to make the correct decision. I went through a similar thing with tires.

I can't wait to see your car with the new top!
  • Thanks to this site!!! Without it I would have been in the dark!! I appreciate your time and help in this process. It's nice to go to a site that is just for the Feature and you have done a great job with it.

Thanks again!
  • I finally got a new top today for my '92 feature car and it looks great. "Oxford White" is the way to go - it looks just like I remember it did way back in 1992 - original and perfect. I should've done this five years ago. Nachos Upholstery in Van Nuys CA did a great job, and did it fast.
  • I finally got a new top today for my '92 feature car and it looks great. "Oxford White" is the way to go - it looks just like I remember it did way back in 1992 - original and perfect. I should've done this five years ago. Nachos Upholstery in Van Nuys CA did a great job, and did it fast.

Congrats on the top!! I desparately need one and now ready to get it done now that the Oxford/Performance thing is resolved.

What brand did they use? How does it fit? Did they replace any of the weather stripping? How much did you pay? Did they replace the pads and cables?

My area top guys are saying my weather stripping is still good after 16 years (?) I guess I should not complain but will say that the top is not leak proof right now. They said that my old top is so dried out that it is not letting the top sit properly and let's water in when I wash it. A new top will fix this. We will see soon!

Thanks

Ken

Congrats on the top!! I desparately need one and now ready to get it done now that the Oxford/Performance thing is resolved.

What brand did they use? How does it fit? Did they replace any of the weather stripping? How much did you pay? Did they replace the pads and cables?

My area top guys are saying my weather stripping is still good after 16 years (?) I guess I should not complain but will say that the top is not leak proof right now. They said that my old top is so dried out that it is not letting the top sit properly and let's water in when I wash it. A new top will fix this. We will see soon!

Thanks

Ken

I don't know the brand and assume that they only replaced the actual top. It seems to fit very well and looks authentic. Nacho assured me, and I believe he's correct, that for 1992 there was only Oxford White, which is what I got. $475.

Thanks,

-qcar

• I don't know the brand and assume that they only replaced the actual top. It seems to fit very well and looks authentic. Nacho assured me, and I believe he's correct, that for 1992 there was only Oxford White, which is what I got. $475.

Thanks,

-qcar

Yeah, that is what 3 of the top guys in my area said, Oxford for a 92. One did not even look it up, he knew through 92's were Oxford. Not bad.

$475!?!? The lowest price I got in NJ is $1000 for the top, cables and labor. I need to move!!
  • Well, it is time, so I took the plunge today! I gave a deposit to get my top done and they said to bring it back tomorrow to get it started. Oxford White all the way!! The guy here is going to have it completed by Monday. It is WAY overdue. It is amazing but I really only drive the car with the top down but those few times I put it up the wind rushing over it thrashed it. It seems any time I took it out the top would just rip more. Once you get a little rip look out!!

Here is a before pic taken in my driveway this afternoon. Note how the side is ripped from the front to the back. That was just a little tear not too long ago.

outerbanks2008398wl8.jpg

The only bad thing...tomorrow we are suppose to have heavy downpours. Looks like I may get a little wet taking her in.
  • Can't wait to see the after picture!
  • Can't wait to see the after picture!

ME TOO! I wanted to take a drive up there tonight to peak in their window to see the progress but I am going to wait until the pick up on Monday. Looking forward to seeing it!
  • Great looking car--- the wheels really set it apart-

What color is your pinstripe? It is hard to tell from the picture if it is white or grey?