New here - headlight question

I figured maybe I should post an intro. My name is Amy and I live in Waldorf, MD. I have 3 mustangs now - 98 silver gt conv, 90 7up that needs lots of work and I just picked up a 93 yellow and black feature car over the weekend. I am thrilled with it. It's not perfect but the important parts are there. I do want to replace the headlights. One has almost an inch of water in it from our trip back from PA. I see that several places such as blue oval industries sell ford headlights with other marker and parking lights. What has everyone else done? Or I could just replace the headlights and leave the parking and marker light.

Comments

• Hi Amy, welcome to TWF!!

Yeah, I haven't replaced mine yet, But if your going to have it all apart I guess you could just do it all. I can't stand fixing somethin twice! But its really up to you, if you have the extra time and money, go for it!

Ryan
    Rare_92
  • Thanks Ryan!!

I was not sure if I should make sure I buy everything Ford or not. I was looking at the car last night and the parking light has ford on it along with the headlight but the side marker does not. I think for now I am just going to replace the headlights and see how that looks. Luckily my husband is an auto mechanic. I have all kinds of projects lined up for him. :)
  • Your question is very timely as that I just received my replacement Head, Turn and Park lights. I have one that has a crack in it from a stone that was kicked-up on the road. I decided to order the 6 light “Kit” as that it was less expensive than purchasing all 6 pieces individually.

I figured I would just replace the damaged unit and save the rest for later use (if needed) as that my car has relatively low mikes (50K+/-) and is stored in a garage.

I ordered a set that contained original Ford head lights and reproduction side/park lights as that the Ford head lights were only abt. $15 more than reproduction units. The side/park lights were extremely more expensive.

Now for the interesting part. I just unwrapped the headlights and compared them to my original lights and say that what I thought were good original head lights are actually quite yellowed. I checked the replacement side and park lights and found that they too were yellowed compared to the replacement units.

Based on my experience I would recommend replacing all 6 units rather than risk having a set of 6 lights with the newer unit sticking out because it is in better condition. However this is just my opinion.

Good luck with your new toy!

Kevin
  • You make an excellent point Kevin. My husband was worried about the exact same thing. I think we might try to clean the parking and marker lenses and see what they look like. Otherwise I might be replacing those too.