Mustang 45th - April 17-19, 2009

edited February 2009 in Feature Events
I remember back in 2004 wanting to attend the Mustang 40th but with a baby on the way we just couldn't do it. At that time, I thought ahead to the 45th (which seemed like a loooooong way out) and thought it would be cool to try to get to that. Four years sure passed quickly and the 45th is getting close.

One response to my e-mail on the 2008 get together at Carlisle was from Linda S. who is a member of Magic City Mustangs. They are involved in planning the Mustang 45th Anniversary. From the MCA web site:
The latest hot and heavy rumor around is that the Mustang 45th Anniversary, sponsored by FORD, and supported by the Mustang Club of America, will be at Barber Motorsports Park in Leeds, Alabama, just outside Birmingham, Alabama. Event dates are confirmed as Friday, Saturday, and Sunday April 17, 18, and 19, 2009.
Linda suggested that we feature car owners might want to get in on the fun. She also suggested that I get a feel for the level of interest by sending out an email similar to what I have done for Carlisle.

It's still quite a way out so before I do anything in terms of planning or even just sending out an email to express my intent in organizing something I just wanted to get your opinion on it.

Comments

• I think this rumor has a lot of merit. Last April the Oklahoma Mustang Club hosted a MCA National. They were told they could host another one in April of 09. But after finding out about this coming in April of 09, they went back to MCA and were given a date in April of 2011. I have looked for my OMC newsletter with the details but must have tossed it.

Anyway, as of right now I would love to go to Alabama next year. I have a daughter and grandkids down in Pensacola that I could drop down and visit also.

Hope you get more interest in this.
    Jerry
  • Keep us posted. It would be awesome to have a gathering of features at the 45th. I would be very interested. As long as gas was not at $5.00 per gallon? You never know. Take care. Chet
  • MCA Releases 45th Anniversary Mustang Show Dates
    MCA Mustang Show

The Mustang Club of America has released the Show Dates for the 45th Anniversary Mustang show in 2009. Start your planning now to be at the biggest Mustang party of the year.

We spoke with Stephen McCarley of the Mustang Club of America earlier this week and he reported to us that the show dates for the 45th Anniversary Mustang Celebration have been confirmed to be April 17-19, 2009. The event will take place at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL, the same location the MCA held their own 30th Anniversary show just a year ago. The event will include a large show field, on track activities including open track and parade laps, and a cruise to the nearby city of Homewood (as the MCA did with much success at their show). Ford has already signed on as the top sponsor and we're sure other great companies will follow suit as things firm up. As soon as we hear more we'll share the info with you, and be sure to check out the MCA's site for up to the minute details as well at http://mustang.org/MCA.cfm?general.
    Mustang Concept

At the 40th Anniversary Mustang show spectators and attendees were given the rare treat of seeing the Mustang II Concept and the first production Mustang, 5F08F100001, both of which are usually tucked away at The Henry Ford in Michigan.
    First Production Mustang

Hopefully Ford will bring these two rare bits of Mustang history (and much more) to the 45th Anniversary show.
    Mustangs Cruising

The cruise to Homewood drew huge numbers at the MCA 30th last year. The whole downtown area was full of Mustangs with the streets closed off for the activities, including live music!

We'll be there, will you? Tell us what you think the show should have and we'll forward your comments to the MCA.

:)
  • Just got my Mustang times from MCA today. In it they talked about this show. Mustang's Across America have already planned their route for this. Need to talk to the wife about joining them when they pass through Mustang Ok. That would have to be a blast. Jerry

Link to their site:
    http://www.mustangsacrossamerica.com/
  • The Mustang across America is pretty cool. Every now and then you can catch a 1 hour show on it on the Discovery HD channel. I have it saved on my DVR so whenever I need a fix I turn it on. It was filmed in 04 and looks like a blast. Too bad they are not coming out of the east coast as I would like to do that some day.
  • Hey,

They also have the video's posted on their web site.

Direct link to the video's:
    http://www.mustangsacrossamerica.com/h_ ... oarch2.htm

Link to their web site:

Enjoy, Jerry
  • The Mustang across America is pretty cool. Every now and then you can catch a 1 hour show on it on the Discovery HD channel. I have it saved on my DVR so whenever I need a fix I turn it on. It was filmed in 04 and looks like a blast. Too bad they are not coming out of the east coast as I would like to do that some day.

Well if some of you up that way are planning on going to this maybe you could put together your own cruise.

For those wanting to hook up with MAA the registration starts April 17, 2008, in just a couple weeks.

The Wife and I both agree that if we are going to do this we will have to postpone going to Woodward. Hard choice but I think we are going to Alabama.

Later, Jerry
  • I wish the Mustangs across America was closer, a couple of years ago they passed through northern Indiana and a local Ford dealership closed the lot for them. I was really neat. Take care. Chet
  • I'm excited that there is interest in this.
    As long as gas was not at $5.00 per gallon?
    I almost said the exact same thing in my original post! It is a long haul for me (~1100 miles). I am afraid to do the math on how much that would cost.

To get that mileage number I just used Google Maps and was surprised that my route to the 45th would lead through guess where? Not that I want to get this thread off topic...

RouteTo45th.jpg
  • I hope the interest in this keeps growing. This will be so much fun and it would be nice to meet some of you.

I already did the math, the wife made me do it. :lol:

My distance to hook up with MAA and travel with them, 1170 miles. Doing it on my own most direct route, 825. Hmmmm, 345 miles further. Thats just a little over a tank of gas more plus another nights Hotel stay. But it will be one of those opportunities that may not come along again. At least until the 50th and who knows about gas prices or the economy. I figure for me some where between 120 and 140 gallons round trip. I know most of you in the northeast pay a lot more for fuel. Right now today it is $3.12 here. Seems to stay a little lower in the southern states. Guess those 3.73 gears are going to wait until after the trip. :D

Hope this doesn't scare anyone off, but I know all of you will be considering this before making this trip.

Later, Jerry
  • I know most of you in the northeast pay a lot more for fuel. Right now today it is $3.12 here.

I just paid $3.29 today. It was $3.41 just down the street. The good news is that after one tank we are out of the Northeast and the remaining fuel will seem like a bargain!

That is a great point about doing this next year vs. in 6 years from now. A LOT might change between now and then.
  • I know most of you in the northeast pay a lot more for fuel. Right now today it is $3.12 here.

I just paid $3.29 today. It was $3.41 just down the street. The good news is that after one tank we are out of the Northeast and the remaining fuel will seem like a bargain!

That is a great point about doing this next year vs. in 6 years from now. A LOT might change between now and then.

I guess there is ONE good thing about Jersey....the week I paid $2.94 to fill up and it is all FULL SERVE!!!! So, as you make your way down, stop off in NJ for a fill up and stretching your legs is optional! :D

I guess there is ONE good thing about Jersey....the week I paid $2.94 to fill up and it is all FULL SERVE!!!! So, as you make your way down, stop off in NJ for a fill up and stretching your legs is optional! :D

Well I guess fuel isn't as bad as I thought it would be up there. :D Now that's getting bad when we start thinking around $3.00 a gallon isn't bad. :D

Dropped to 3.09 here today

Later, Jerry
  • Woo Hoooo ! ! !
    We are car 51. Registration just started the 17th and already, when I just checked, 97 cars were already registered. This event is going to be HUGE.

Here's a Link, later, Jerry

http://www.mustangsacrossamerica.com/h_ ... ipants.htm
  • Just doing an update on this event.

MAA is up to 167 cars today. I think around 30 are from Australia, some shipping their cars over, others renting them, 1 guy is from South Africa.

The first hotel in Arizonia is booked and they have started on the 2nd. We have booked ours and are just waiting for Birminingham to come on line and then we are set.

With 11 months to go we figure we can plan and save for what ever gas maybe. :D I hope. :D LOL

That's all for now, Jerry
  • Yeah fuel just hit $4.00 here today and Johns prediction of $5.00 for the 45th may not be too far off. I really think this will impact our hobby poorly.
  • We've been paying over $4.00 for a couple of weeks. $4.10 now.

I fully agree that this will impact our hobby.

Jerry, thanks for the update!
  • Okay, the Birmingham hotel and HQ for MAA just came on line yesterday.

I hope some in the industry are right about the price of a barrel of oil that it is over inflated for no reason other than futures speculators hedging. I don't think the economy can handle to much more of this.

Nice thing about this event is it is 11 months away and plenty of time to prepare. But there is even a limit to what I will spend to do this event. Right now I am budgeting around $600 for fuel, for about a 2400 mile round trip. Time will tell.

Thinking positive, hope to some of you there, Jerry
  • The Great American Pony Drive will be caravaning to the 45th as well. There will be 4 different groups with all meeting in Birmingham. The groups will be coming in from Michigan, Texas, Florida and from the east coast (not sure the exact area), For those interested you can contact Dave Turnbull.
    <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ponydoc@juno.com"><!-- e --><a href="mailto:www.ponydoc@juno.com">www.ponydoc@juno.com</a><!-- e --></a><!-- w --> for more info. Also, after the 45th, the Pony Drive 09 will be touring the US, the schedue is being worked out now.

Linda Smith
    magiccitymustangs.com
    MCA Regional Director
  • MAA has hit the 250 car mark. With 8 months to go. I haven't checked the Great American Pony Drive numbers yet.

All the hotels are in place and you can link to the registration form to register with MCA for the event.

Has anyone else signed up? Either with MAA or one of the Pony Drives. I haven't seen any other Features listed that I can tell on MAA.

Take care, maybe see you in Birmingham.

Jerry
  • I'm planning on attending the Mustang 45th in April with my 93 TWF. However, I'm not exactly sure how the show works. I assume I want to sign up for the "Participant Award Display" in order to park my mustang with the rest of them.

I'd appreciate if anyone could give me some info/tips on attending the show.

The Mustangs Across America ride sounds like fun but I only live an hour and a half from Barber Motorsports!

By the way, is there any plan for a Feature Car get together?

Thanks!!

Marc
  • I would love to go but it is SOO far away! MAybe one day lol
  • I haven't been in touch with anyone from the 45th since last spring. They had offered to group us together if we got something together. I had very little response to my initial queries on interest but now that it is closer people might be more ready to consider it.

Personally, it's a little far for me to take my car but, as I have previously mentioned, I would consider going as a spectator. But, so far in making travel plans for 2009 this has not been on my radar. You know with the tough economy I have to pick and choose my vacation/travel options.

What do others think? I don't mind doing the legwork to send out another email to gauge interest. I also don't mind coordinating through their organizers to get people together.
  • I understand the picking the travel options thing. We are doing the same thing. We are fortunate to have the MCA show coming to INDY this summer, beginning of June and its only 2hrs away. Best of luck with the 45th.
  • We are still planning on going, registered with MAA, hotels are booked, also have my registration number for the event.

I have been watching MAA's list and so far haven't seen any other Features. Still doesn't mean some aren't coming. The Pony Drive also has some groups organizing for cruises to it and then their big drive leaving from there. http://www.ponydrive.us/

If any Features are going I would be happy to meet up with them.
    Jerry

PS: MAA has hit 362 which is a new all time record.
  • I'm excited that there is interest in this.
    As long as gas was not at $5.00 per gallon?
    I almost said the exact same thing in my original post! It is a long haul for me (~1100 miles). I am afraid to do the math on how much that would cost.

To get that mileage number I just used Google Maps and was surprised that my route to the 45th would lead through guess where? Not that I want to get this thread off topic...

RouteTo45th.jpg
    AHHHHHHHH Carlisle. That was a really good time.
  • We are picking up MAA in Clinton Ok. By Google maps it is 1172 mile trip from here to Clinton and then to Birmingham driving with them.

But now we are thinking about not taking the Feature and driving the wifes 09 Mustang. The top on the Feature is original and I am not sure how it would hold up under a 2400 mile round trip. Also the 09 is much more comfortable. :D

For us it is not so much which Mustang we drive as it is about the experience. [\:D/] I Luv my Feature and would really like to drive it so just weighing my options.

My YMR friends will be disappointed also since the 09 didn't come in Yellow. :(

Later, Jerry
  • Well 81 days left now to this event.

Anyone else considering going?

MAA hit 482 registered cars today, seems close to half are leaving from Vegas. some shipping their cars out to Vegas and some shipping them home from Birmingham. At least 1 guy driving from CT to Vegas and then home, another from Alaska. WOW

30 some Australians are coming over, at least half are shipping their cars over for the drive.

Jerry
  • Okay there is only about 70 days until this event. so far I am the only Feature registered for the MAA Drive.

Not sure about the 45th event. Any body going?

Oh, there are over 500 cars registered for the drive.
    Jerry
  • Okay there is only about 70 days until this event. so far I am the only Feature registered for the MAA Drive.

Not sure about the 45th event. Any body going?

Oh, there are over 500 cars registered for the drive.
    Jerry
    Sounds like a really cool event. Take pics! Back in 04 the MAA roled past us and stopped at a local Ford dealer for an unannounced cruise inn. There was 1 yellow feature within that group. Take care.